June - What have you been buying

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
redwine

Re: June - What have you been buying

Post by redwine »

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your replies to my post and sorry for the late reply, I was quite busy the last few days.

Monghead: I am wondering too whether it was just a great bottle or whether the wine is the star. Fortunately I still have 3 bottles left, so I will try another one at the next best occasion and let you know then accordingly.

Chad: Thanks for the tip with the 2004. I am glad that you had the same experience as I did with the 85, truly an amazing wine. I will try to get a few bottles for me as well if I can get my hands on this vintage. I also have a bottle of the 1992 Hill of Grace which I bought about 10 years ago on a trip to Australia while living in Singapore. Hopefully, it kept its condition as well as the Keyneton.

Craig: The first Keyneton I ever bought was also the 94 of which I tried the first bottle a few years back. At that time it did not convince me that much, it was a very good wine, pleasantly drinking but no lasting impression. So I guess I have to try now the next bottle of that vintage soon again to see how it has developed since then.

Cheers and happy drinking....

rens

Post by rens »

5 x 2004 Yalumba The Signature.
Couldn't resist... I now only have 4 left.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

monghead

Post by monghead »

Silly me...

2x 2004 Felton Road Block 5
2x 2006 Felton Road Block 5
2x 2007 Felton Road Block 5

Oh well...

rooman

Post by rooman »

24 x Pontet Canet 2009

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

rooman wrote:24 x Pontet Canet 2009

I thought about going long on this one too, but have decided the 2003 and 2005 are much better value (2/3 the price). Both are excellent wines and obviously have a few years on them already. Nevertheless, I'll get some of the 2009 - this estate has been on fire the past decade.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

24 x Pontet Canet 2009

yeah torn with this. will prob get it offered today. seen one offer in nz for $170 odd 1st inst. I paid $117 for the 2005

just thinking it might be outa my league now and i got too many expensive wines already

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

12 x St. Pierre (St Julian) 2009
12 x Calon Segur 2009

Maybe another 2-3 cases en primeur.
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Mike Hawkins wrote:

I thought about going long on this one too, but have decided the 2003 and 2005 are much better value (2/3 the price). Both are excellent wines and obviously have a few years on them already. Nevertheless, I'll get some of the 2009 - this estate has been on fire the past decade.

Mike

Depending on where the final RP score comes in, I figure I may sell one case in 5 years and the price will cover the cost ofthe other case (or I may just keep both and know I will drink well in retirement :D :D ). I also have a case and a half of the 2005 so no point buying any more of that vintage. I do think however you may see the price of the 03 and 05 creeep up in NY if this vintage scores really well. So if you are thinking of buying more I would do that now.

Mark

pc79

Post by pc79 »

4 x 2006 Glaetzer Anaperenna
12 x 2006 Clare Valley Reserve Shiraz Cleanskin - bought on spec, no idea what it is or where it's from, but had one the other night. Beautiful, velvety mouthfeel, plums, chocolate, cedar, blackberry, christmas cake - really bloody delicious

robwolters_nl

Post by robwolters_nl »

June is Aussie VP month....

24 x 2006 Unlabelled VP
24 x 1998 Unlabelled VP
12 x 1998 Peter Lehman the King

Stavros

Post by Stavros »

pc79 wrote:4 x 2006 Glaetzer Anaperenna
12 x 2006 Clare Valley Reserve Shiraz Cleanskin - bought on spec, no idea what it is or where it's from, but had one the other night. Beautiful, velvety mouthfeel, plums, chocolate, cedar, blackberry, christmas cake - really bloody delicious

Gee the Clare valley looks the goods, i'm a bit partial to Clare Shiraz, although like most are a bit causcious when it comes
to cleanskins, but i think the tasting note may just get me...any hints as to where they are "hiding"

Cheers S

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

rooman wrote:
Mike Hawkins wrote:

Mike

Depending on where the final RP score comes in, I figure I may sell one case in 5 years and the price will cover the cost ofthe other case (or I may just keep both and know I will drink well in retirement :D :D ). I also have a case and a half of the 2005 so no point buying any more of that vintage. I do think however you may see the price of the 03 and 05 creeep up in NY if this vintage scores really well. So if you are thinking of buying more I would do that now.

Mark

Probably not a bad plan. I can find the 03 for AUD 72 per bottle, so will pull the trigger on that.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Probably not a bad plan. I can find the 03 for AUD 72 per bottle, so will pull the trigger on that.

hmmm 03 was a vintage generally that did not impress me at all except for Montrose. Even the 1st growths were take or leave for me. Much prefered 00. Anyone actually tried 03 PC? Anyone tried the 05??

rooman

Post by rooman »

I have 2-3 bottles of PC 03 tucked away but I wouldn't open them for another 3-7 years. I did however open a Pontensac 03 the other night and was really impressed. It was a superb wine, medium bodied, good length with a refreshing depth of flavour. At the time I picked it up ex UWC for around $45. Great value. Probably the worst thing I could do at the beginning of the 09 campaign given it reminded me how much I really enjoy bdx. Since then I have picked up about 3 cases of the cru bourgeois for every day drinking, Poujeaux, Potensac etc and 3-4 cases of good stuff, PC, Duhart Milon, Malescot St. Exupery: well good for me given 1st growths are out of my league. Everything I have read about the poujeaux makes me think I really should grab a second case.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Tried the 09 Te Mata Elston Chardonnay today. Once this label was the undisuted top of tree chardonnay from the region, but now today after years having the gap close in my mind now I think Sacred Hill Riflemans may have bullied it out of that position. I pretty much buy Elston every year (first bought it in 95) and it is good vfm and always performs in a crowd blind format, but I wasn't so taken with the 09 today.

Bought 08 Kumeu River Hunting Hill instead which just is much more of a wow individual wine.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

I have 2-3 bottles of PC 03 tucked away but I wouldn't open them for another 3-7 years. I did however open a Pontensac 03 the other night and was really impressed. It was a superb wine, medium bodied, good length with a refreshing depth of flavour. At the time I picked it up ex UWC for around $45. Great value. Probably the worst thing I could do at the beginning of the 09 campaign given it reminded me how much I really enjoy bdx. Since then I have picked up about 3 cases of the cru bourgeois for every day drinking, Poujeaux, Potensac etc and 3-4 cases of good stuff, PC, Duhart Milon, Malescot St. Exupery: well good for me given 1st growths are out of my league. Everything I have read about the poujeaux makes me think I really should grab a second case.

No doubt 09 PC is a stunning wine. I love the dark bold masculine almost latour/mouton cross style it portrays so well, and I think the way it is built it will carry the warmer year better than many other labels. I certainly am jealous of anyone who can justify it and happy to share a bottle any time with the owner. Id even bring a lump of fine hard cheese to accompany!

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

All this talk of cases of Bordeaux is making me jealous. I hope my budget will be better by the time the next vintage of the century rolls around.

But for now, a few misc bits and pieces over the past 3 weeks...

Lanson Trio Pack (magnum each of 1976, 1990, 1996) - had the 90 at the Shiraz tasting, very nice. I know the 96, anyone tried the 1976?
2 x Tardieu Laurent Hermitage 1996 (one at Shz tasting - Good, other one scalped :cry: )
2 x Teusner Joshua 2004
2 x Skillogalee Shiraz 2001
2 x Mike Press Cab Sav 2005
2 x Wynns Centenary Shiraz Cabernet 1991
Tyrrells Vat 9 Shiraz 1993 (Magnum)
Coriole Lloyd Reserve Shiraz 2001 (Magnum)
Howard Park Cabernets 1992 (Magnum)
Hamilton Old Vine Grenache Shiraz 1998
2 x Ridge Geyserville Zinfandel 2005
Ridge Lytton Springs Zinfandel 2005
Ridge Santa Cruz Mtns 2004
Brokenwood Rayner Vineyard Shiraz 1999
6 x Peregrine Pinot Noir 2007
2 x Craggy Range Le Sol 2007
2 x Craggy Range Calvert Pinot Noir 2008
2 x Seppelt Great Western Shiraz 1996

Cheers!

rens

Post by rens »

12 x 2006 Dutschke Willow Bend Merlot Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon at $13.99 I couldn't resist this bargain. Good vintage and a nice quaffer.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Peter NZ

Post by Peter NZ »

Time to call it quits on '09 Bordeaux:

6 x Suduiraut
6 x Raymond Lafon
12 x Guiraud
3 x Duhart Milon Rothschild
3 x Lagrange (st Julien)
3 x Cantenac Brown
3 x Grand Puy Lacoste
3 x Pontet Canet
3 x Rauzan Segla
3 x Beychevelle
3 x Haut Batailley
3 x Beausejour Becot

Brought just 4 bottles home from our Europe trip:
'08 Dr Loosen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese
'08 Dr Loosen Urziger Wurtzgarten
'04 Il Molino di Grace Gratius
'01 Villa Cafaggio San Martino

(latter 2 excellent but good value 100% Sangiovese ITG Tuscans.)

And a mixed case of Felton Road '09 Pinots -- 4 each of the Block 3, Cornish Point & Bannockburn.

Cheers
Peter

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

36 x 2007 McGuigan Bin 9000 Hunter semillon.
This wine takes the record for the most bottles of any one wine I have ever bought. A total of 7 dozen.
Brilliant wine, years left in it, and a steal at around $14.
It scored gold at the Sydney 2010 RAS wine show with a score of 18.5. This is where I first tasted it.
The winner in that class was 2005 Tyrrells Vat 1 with 18.7, and it went on to wine a trophy.
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

From the local Hardys dumping ground a couple of cases of Brookland Valley Verse 1 2001 Cabernet Merlot (cleanskin). Very nice stuff indeed and more than an everyday quaffer.

Chuck
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

6 x Suduiraut
6 x Raymond Lafon
12 x Guiraud
3 x Lagrange (st Julien)
3 x Cantenac Brown
3 x Grand Puy Lacoste
3 x Pontet Canet
3 x Rauzan Segla
3 x Beychevelle
3 x Haut Batailley
3 x Beausejour Becot

Brought just 4 bottles home from our Europe trip:
'08 Dr Loosen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese
'08 Dr Loosen Urziger Wurtzgarten
'04 Il Molino di Grace Gratius
'01 Villa Cafaggio San Martino

(latter 2 excellent but good value 100% Sangiovese ITG Tuscans.)

And a mixed case of Felton Road '09 Pinots -- 4 each of the Block 3, Cornish Point & Bannockburn.

Cheers
Peter

Very very nice list. You have such a wonderful forgiving wife peter!!!

monghead

Post by monghead »

3x 2007 Domaine Jean-Claude Bessin Chablis 1er Fourchaume La Piece au Comte

Pat

Post by Pat »

12 x 98VP. (I have jumped on the bandwagon)
1 x 2008 Chris Ringland CR Barossa Shiraz
23 x 2007 Huntington Estate HB69 Shiraz-Cab Sav (Ordered but not here yet. A couple of friends and I have bought 2 x 26litres of bulk wine that we are going to bottle ourselves. Should be fun/excuse to get together for drinks.)

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Pat wrote:12 x 98VP. (I have jumped on the bandwagon)
1 x 2008 Chris Ringland CR Barossa Shiraz

These wines taste remarkably similar! The Chris Ringland weighs in at 16.5% alcohol and by chance my dad had one open to watch the socceroos, and I had brought the VP. Scary!
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

1 x Bremerton Old Adam Shiraz 2007
2 x Mildara Cab.Sauv 2007
2 x Seppelt Jaluka Chardonnay 2009

Would love peoples opinions of any of these three if they've tried them ??

One of the major chain retailers here is flogging the Mildara and the Seppelt pretty cheaply...
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

richie32

Post by richie32 »

Recent trip to Melbourne via Grampians, Yarra Valley & Barossa.
Tasting notes to come.

Rockford
1 x 02 SVS Flaxmann
1 x 02 SVS Hoffmann
3 x 96 BP
1 x 05 BP magnum
Best's
3 x 07 Bin 0
3 x 08 Bin 1
Coldstream
1 x 08 Pinot
1 x 05 Reserve Cabernet
Seppelt
3 x 08 Chalambar
2 x 07 St Peters
Mount Langi
4 x 06 Langi
2 x 05 Cliff Edge
Giant Steps
1 x 08 GS Harry's Monster
1 x 09 IB Pinot
Yileena Park
2 x 04 Reserve Cab Sav
Yarra Yerring
2 x 07 Gruyere Shiraz
3 x 08 Dry Red #1
1 x ?? Dry Red #2

Other's to try
Blue Poles
1 x 08 Shiraz
1 x Allouran

rooman

Post by rooman »

Peter NZ wrote:Time to call it quits on '09 Bordeaux:

6 x Suduiraut
6 x Raymond Lafon
12 x Guiraud
3 x Lagrange (st Julien)
3 x Cantenac Brown
3 x Grand Puy Lacoste
3 x Pontet Canet
3 x Rauzan Segla
3 x Beychevelle
3 x Haut Batailley
3 x Beausejour Becot

Cheers
Peter

As Craig said, excellent list. I have been tossing up as to whether to grab some of the Grand Puy Lacoste. In the end, I added 6 of the Dom Chevailer rouge today instead. Of course I would love some of the Rauzan Segla and the Haut Batailley and ..............

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

i woulda liked some sudairaut and pontet canet but bought a new dining table instead

oh well, still got too many wines

Peter NZ

Post by Peter NZ »

rooman wrote:
Peter NZ wrote:Time to call it quits on '09 Bordeaux:

6 x Suduiraut
6 x Raymond Lafon
12 x Guiraud
3 x Lagrange (st Julien)
3 x Cantenac Brown
3 x Grand Puy Lacoste
3 x Pontet Canet
3 x Rauzan Segla
3 x Beychevelle
3 x Haut Batailley
3 x Beausejour Becot

Cheers
Peter

As Craig said, excellent list. I have been tossing up as to whether to grab some of the Grand Puy Lacoste. In the end, I added 6 of the Dom Chevailer rouge today instead. Of course I would love some of the Rauzan Segla and the Haut Batailley and ..............

Have added 3 each of the Dom Chevalier Rouge & La Lagune ... that's really it now.