Felton Rd 2009 tasting notes anyone? Calling all kiwis

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Luke W

Felton Rd 2009 tasting notes anyone? Calling all kiwis

Post by Luke W »

Has anyone tried the 2009 Felton Rd pinots? The order form is out and I was wondering whether to remortgage the house and get a mixed dozen of the 2009 bannockburn, cornish point and the block 3's. Was the 2009 vintage in Central Otago a good one or another like 2008?

cheers

Luke
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Craig(NZ)

Re: Felton Rd 2009 tasting notes anyone? Calling all kiwis

Post by Craig(NZ) »

hmm, yes I just got the same mailer and mortgage is the word. Haven't tried them sorry and I dont know much about Otago 2009 either. It is probably at least as good as the 08

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

I would hope it was a lot better than 08 as I found the 08's generally a disappointing lot
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

JamieH

Post by JamieH »

i've heard reports winery are saying 09 is as good as their 07's.

Jamie
Lets just say I have never had a wine I've hated, but there are some I would rather not taste again....

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Agree the 08’s don’t appear as good as 07’s for their Pinots, although I preferred the 08 Chardie (Block & Regular). Interesting they finally branded the regular Pinot (Bannockburn), I’m glad. A couple of web searches indicate 09 was a decent vintage in Bannockburn.
I know what you mean about the pricing, but when you see the RRPs for them (Block labels in particular) in OZ, they look absolute bargains. I'll be picking up a lazy case regardless :wink:
Not sure I’m a fan of the new site though, its seems over engineered, for my needs anyway.

Cheers
Michael

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Thanks Michael
It seems that the consensus is that 09 was OK in CO and you're right about the prices being heftier in OZ (I've seen block 3's go for as high as $150 a bottle on Langtons). I don't usually sell my wine tho' and find it hard to find NZ$900 for a carton unless it's something special and that's what I'm trying to find out.

cheers

Luke
Peynaud

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

09 was a long cool vintage in Central Otago. The colder parts - like Gibbston - suffered and some grapes didn't ripen at all. The warmer parts - like Bannockburn - did very nicely. I haven't tried the Feltons but they should be very good.

i also think your'e being harsh on the 08s. They aren't as dense as 07 or 09, perhaps more like 06. We tried a horizontal of 11 different 08 CO pinots while I was there early in May and the Felton Road Cornish Point was a real knockout, with Valli and Bald Hills the other two stars.

Cheers

Andrew

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Thanks Andrew

I'll take your comments optimistically on board and I recognise that I'm a bit of a peasant with pinot and am generally a Mclarenvale shiraz man. I did like the 08 Felton Rd and the winery has such a great reputation that I decided to order a dozen anyway.......

Cheers

Luke
Peynaud

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

I'm heading there in a few weeks, anyone know if Block 3 or 5 is generally obtainable at the cellar door?? Not expecting it to be, but thought I'd ask....

Cheers
Tim

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

bl 3/5 not at cellar door and very hard to find in otago. best bet is outside the region. a number of wine shops stock small amounts of this. if you need a hand with some names PM me

C