Longevity of Germany Riesling-Auslese

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Broughy

Longevity of Germany Riesling-Auslese

Post by Broughy »

How long should, say a Dr Loosen Auslese Riesling be cellared for. looking at some 2007, are they say a 10 year proposition?

JDSJDS

Re: Longevity of Germany Riesling-Auslese

Post by JDSJDS »

Most auslese drink well for 2-4 years after the vintage, shut down a bit from 4-8 years, and then open up again after about 8 years. They will usually last for 10 years easily. In a great vintage, 20 is easy for the top names/vineyards. The 2007 vintage was a good, warm one, but I've been a little disappointed by the lack of acid in many wines, but auslese from this vintage, if from top producers/vineyards, should easily last 10 years. They may not shut down as much as higher acid vintages. But you can drink soon if you like too, although they'll be sweeter when they are younger.

Dr Loosen usually make a 'big', ripe style of wine, and I've heard some reports that their 2007s weren't up to their normal quality. But I'm sure I'd enjoy any of their auslese from 2007...

tpang

Post by tpang »

I'm not sure if your question is phrased correctly, as I wouldn't say that rielsings 'should' be cellared before drinking. For spatleses or ausleses, I prefer then young and fresh within the first 3-4 years. Ausleses do cellar well beyond 10 years, and the secondary characteristics tend to start developing after ~7 years. The 2007 vintage was brilliant, do you have the Erdener Trappchen or the Urziger Wurzgarten? The Erdener is a seriously solid auslese, I bought 6 of those, and will be keeping 2 btls for long term cellaring.

Broughy

Post by Broughy »

thanks all.
Haven't got any Erdener Trappchen or the Urziger Wurzgarten will investigate

RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Broughy i have drank and thoroughly enjoyed some amazing German and Austrian Auslese Rieslings even upto 50yrs of age. It is well known and suggested that Riesling can age for much longer periods than red wines. I would not hesitate in putting down an Auslese from a good vintage for an extended time at all.

pizzler

Post by pizzler »

I just pulled out some old German Auslese Reislings that I thought were getting beyond the drinking curve to see how they were faring:

1959 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Auslese: DOA...the cork had shriveled up and fell into the bottle when I put the slightest pressure on it. I had no expectations of it being any good. It was a gift someone gave me 20 years ago and had probably sat in a closet for years before they gave it to me.

1983 Von Hövel Scharzhofberger Riesling Auslese: Cork was good, wine was over the hill. I'm drinking soon rather than later other 83's that I've got and will hope for the best. They are GKA and LGKA wines, so I hope they age better.

1985 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #19: Cork was good, wine was beyond its peak but still darned good. The 85's were structured wines and I always wondered if the fruit would last.

Hope this helps!

Eurocentric

Post by Eurocentric »

Ausleses from good producers in a year like 07 should go 30-50 years no trouble. I had a 71 Graacher Himmelreich from Willi Schaefer that was sublime ... and it had been open three days.
NB: I import wine from 100 boutique producers in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, NZ and SA. You may think my opinions are biased ;-) As opinions are :-)

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Broughy which Dr Loosen is it? I'm constantly underwhelmed by Urziger Wurzgarten, but I have bought his Erdener Pralat Auslese most years.

A well structured Auslese will go forever, I've had 10 year olds that taste fresh as a daisy,

cheers

Andrew

Broughy

Post by Broughy »

yep its the Urziger Wurzgarten

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

OK - I bought a pile of 04 UW Auslese. The first few were lovely, but as they aged they got fairly boring. It will go 10 years, but there are others that will travel the journey better,

Peter NZ

Post by Peter NZ »

Currently spending a couple of days in Bernkastel-Kues -- in fact, have an appointment at Dr Loosen's this morning ... had a very good tasting at S.A. Prum in Wehlen yesterday, including a '97 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatelese, which had typical aged characteristics & was drinking very nicely. Picked up 3 of their Wehlener Sonnenuhr Ausleses -- '93, '95 & '03 -- to drink over the next couple of weeks while we're in Europe, & will report back on how they're drinking ...

Cheers
Peter

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Peter, most interested in your impressions - I'll be in the Mosel in July, staying in Erden. I'm booking up appointments now,

cheers

Andrew

Eurocentric

Post by Eurocentric »

Wizz wrote:Peter, most interested in your impressions - I'll be in the Mosel in July, staying in Erden. I'm booking up appointments now,

cheers

Andrew

Oooh, where are you going Wizz? ;-)
NB: I import wine from 100 boutique producers in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, NZ and SA. You may think my opinions are biased ;-) As opinions are :-)

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Eurocentric wrote:
Wizz wrote:Peter, most interested in your impressions - I'll be in the Mosel in July, staying in Erden. I'm booking up appointments now,

cheers

Andrew

Oooh, where are you going Wizz? ;-)

Nowhere special. :)

Schaefer Frohlich, Donnhoff, Wili Schaefer, Rienhold Haart.
Now if only Schloss Lieser would confirm and Fritz Haag would reply.
Haven't given much thought to JJ Prum, I guess I should ask them.
Staying in the Holiday house at Andreas Schmitges. He makes a riesling grappa. Interesting.

On the subject fo Auslese ageing well, we had a 1995 JJ Prum Auslese while in NZ a few weeks ago. Fresh as a daisy and still showing its sulphur. At 15 years old. This wine will go for 50 years.

Andrew

rooman

Post by rooman »

Wizz wrote:
Eurocentric wrote: Oooh, where are you going Wizz? ;-)

Nowhere special. :)

Schaefer Frohlich, Donnhoff, Wili Schaefer, Rienhold Haart.
Now if only Schloss Lieser would confirm and Fritz Haag would reply.
Haven't given much thought to JJ Prum, I guess I should ask them.
Staying in the Holiday house at Andreas Schmitges. He makes a riesling grappa. Interesting.

Andrew

So you are kind of doing the Yellow Tail circuit of Germany :wink: You will be bored with the stuff by the time you leave.

Talking about longevity, Oracle FKAN brought a Joh. Jos. Prüm Bernkasteler Badstube Spatlese 1990 to an offline in Sydney recently. At 20 years, this was still an mazingly fresh and crisp wine though I am still of the view given its dry finish it would have been much placed earlier in the meal rather than with the dessert. I would love to try one with the roast tarragon chicken my wife does. It would be a stunning match.

Mark

Peter NZ

Post by Peter NZ »

Peter NZ wrote:Currently spending a couple of days in Bernkastel-Kues -- in fact, have an appointment at Dr Loosen's this morning ... had a very good tasting at S.A. Prum in Wehlen yesterday, including a '97 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatelese, which had typical aged characteristics & was drinking very nicely. Picked up 3 of their Wehlener Sonnenuhr Ausleses -- '93, '95 & '03 -- to drink over the next couple of weeks while we're in Europe, & will report back on how they're drinking ...

Cheers
Peter

Can confirm that all 3 of the SA Prum wines were lovely -- '93 had lost some sweetness but still had plenty of years in it; '95 & '03 still fresh & young. Tried 8 or 9 '08s at Dr Loosen & bought both the Wehlener Sonnenuhr & Urziger Wurzgarten Ausleses to bring home. (Very frustrating not being able to buy & ship home any decent volumes -- prices of course very attractive ... the '93 & '95 SA Prum Ausleses for example were 15 Euros as bin ends at the winery ... )

It was my 1st visit to the Mosel & as usual you get a different perspective & understanding of a region when visiting -- the continuous stretch of vineyards from Bernkastel to Erden is quite amazing ...

Cheers
Peter