Heads up - best VP bargain - EVER

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Muscat Mike

Re: Heads up - best VP bargain - EVER

Post by Muscat Mike »

n4sir wrote:
Teisto wrote:Thanks VC.

It might be an untapped market. I mean groups get stubby holders made, there could be a new demand for port sippers?

The scary thing is the half bottles are already pretty good fit already for your average soft foam stubby holder :shock:
:P

Ian you have tried this already :?: :oops: :shock: :lol: 8)
Mike.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Muscat Mike wrote:
n4sir wrote:
Teisto wrote:Thanks VC.

It might be an untapped market. I mean groups get stubby holders made, there could be a new demand for port sippers?

The scary thing is the half bottles are already pretty good fit already for your average soft foam stubby holder :shock:
:P

Ian you have tried this already :?: :oops: :shock: :lol: 8)
Mike.

I couldn't resist sizing up an unopened bottle. :oops:

I reckon it would be "interesting" seeing someone trying to drink through the chunky bits at the end if they're swigging straight from the bottle. :lol:

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

chillwrx

Post by chillwrx »

Just got my allocation of the GR54 1999 vintage fortified delivered - it has three gold medals and three silvers on the top in great packaging. Have not tasted yet but any fortified that wins a GOLD medal at the rutherglen show has to be good. For $3.75 a bottle delivered to Brisbane it has to be the bargain of the decade.

Post a tasting note tonight.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Mattwine wrote:Thanks again for the second heads up Ian! I missed this post the first time around and am thankful for the second go. Sounds like they are being kept busy by this thread...

Matt.

We have a client who's a courier for Australia Post who said just after the thread was started he was flat out delivering the cleanskins everywhere.

Last week they seemed to say they still had plenty of everything up there though, and expected them to be available for a while yet - I guess the collapsed export market has meant there's a lot of stock sitting around to move.

Cheers,
Ian

Mattwine

Post by Mattwine »

Yep, was mentioned to me that there had been a recent run on their VP's. I imagine this is due in no small part to your reminder.

If there is an oversupply, and the price is right, I am only too happy to help out!

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

Just jogged my memory to ring and place another order.
Mike.
PS - 707 mentioned loading up my boot with cases of Port. Luckily they gave me a Holden Statesman when I rented. It has a massive boot which was choka block full with about 24 cases. The drive back to my motel, and to Adelaide the next day, was very stable. I reckon the shocks were well tested. :roll:

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

Now that I have a couple of cases, I seem to remember reading somewhere that port should be cellared standing up, is that so or just an old wives tale ?

Cheers - Nick

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Rednick wrote:Now that I have a couple of cases, I seem to remember reading somewhere that port should be cellared standing up, is that so or just an old wives tale ?

Cheers - Nick

Vintage ports under cork should always be stored lying down to keep the cork wet (ie. just like a red wine), while I think the general consensus seems to think standing up bottles sealed with screwcaps is okay.

Tawny ports are usually stored standing up because the corks are usually so small the wines will leak through (and because they are heavily oxidised styles to start with, it will potentially not make a lot of difference anyway).

Cheers,
Ian

via collins

Post by via collins »

Big thanks again to all of youse above for restarting thread.

Two cases of the 99 just delivered. Right on the cusp of winter, perfecto!

Maybe Seppelts marketing team owe Gavin a bottle or two from the top shelf :)

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

Tried the 1998 and 1999 VPs last night.

Nothing wrong with the 1999, and certainly not at the price, but has already peaked, and not of the same quality as the 1998, which was very good indeed, and certainly ridiculously cheap.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Had a half bottle of the 1999 this week with my home made, "Paris Hilton" Lasagne (ie, very rich, very thick, and... :wink: )

Yummy. 8)

Cheers,
Ian

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

n4sir wrote:Had a half bottle of the 1999 this week with my home made, "Paris Hilton" Lasagne (ie, very rich, very thick, and... :wink: )

Yummy. 8)

Cheers,
Ian

and.... stupid, slutty, .... (any more adjectives anyone?)

Mike.

Christo

Post by Christo »

Muscat Mike wrote:
n4sir wrote:Had a half bottle of the 1999 this week with my home made, "Paris Hilton" Lasagne (ie, very rich, very thick, and... :wink: )

Yummy. 8)

Cheers,
Ian

and.... stupid, slutty, .... (any more adjectives anyone?)

Mike.

saucy?... :?
"You are what u drink!"

JF

Post by JF »

Not sure I would call anyone who can make $50 mil+ a year from partying stupid :?:

Matt

Post by Matt »

Attn: Perthies.
I have a case of the 1998 and 1999 VP - Many liked these, unfortunately they werent my cup off tea. If you would like to swing by and take em off my hands feel free. PM me if interested.
Cheers

grey

Post by grey »

Picked a case of the '98 just before closing time yesterday straight after leaving Torbreck. Tried '98, '99 and the '06, definitely liked the '98 the best.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

I'd rate the 06 as the pick of the bunch. A different beast to the 98 which feels just a touch tired for my tastes. The 06 is a versatile, powerhouse of a wine. Each to their own, as ever :)
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Teisto

Post by Teisto »

grey wrote:Picked a case of the '98 just before closing time yesterday straight after leaving Torbreck. Tried '98, '99 and the '06, definitely liked the '98 the best.

Would be interested to know if they are offering tastings on "The Laird" at Torbreck - would really like to know how Mr Powell can put a $700 price tag on the first offering of this wine :shock:

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

via collins wrote:Big thanks again to all of youse above for restarting thread.

Wow

I like how this guy thinks!!!

or

to put it another way

I resemble that remark!

:roll:

regards

Gavin Trott

grey

Post by grey »

Teisto wrote:Would be interested to know if they are offering tastings on "The Laird" at Torbreck - would really like to know how Mr Powell can put a $700 price tag on the first offering of this wine :shock:

Teisto,
Only offered tasting down to the Run Rig. Well I say only because I was happy getting that far into their range. Also had at least one other available for tasting that doesn't appear on the website. It is one David Powell's sons do which was damn nice but still too pricey for me.

Teisto

Post by Teisto »

Thanks for the info. I think you'll find the wine he does with his kids is called the Celts.

I have a couple of the 06 - an incredibly funky nose on it.

Cheers

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

Wayno wrote:I'd rate the 06 as the pick of the bunch. A different beast to the 98 which feels just a touch tired for my tastes. The 06 is a versatile, powerhouse of a wine. Each to their own, as ever :)

"Versatile"? This is a tasting note I haven't seen before :D !

I did not have the same reaction to the 98, which is tasting great to me. The 2006 is also a lovely port, and I imagine that it will develop in a similar way to the 98.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Gavin Trott wrote:
via collins wrote:Big thanks again to all of youse above for restarting thread.

Wow

I like how this guy thinks!!!

or

to put it another way

I resemble that remark!

:roll:

Gavin should be grateful of all the potential new hits this thread has generated for the forum since the words 'Paris Hilton' appeared in it. :P :wink:

Then again it might not be the sort of traffic he wants, a bit like the last time the word 'Britney' was mentioned in a thread here. :shock:
(whoops I did it again) :oops: :lol:

Cheers,
Ian

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

orpheus wrote:
Wayno wrote:I'd rate the 06 as the pick of the bunch. A different beast to the 98 which feels just a touch tired for my tastes. The 06 is a versatile, powerhouse of a wine. Each to their own, as ever :)

I did not have the same reaction to the 98, which is tasting great to me. The 2006 is also a lovely port, and I imagine that it will develop in a similar way to the 98.

I think Ian summarised this slightly better than me previously but it's a wine that drinks as well with a main course (a fairly robust one, granted) as it does with a dessert. There. Versatile.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

griff

Post by griff »

Wayno wrote:
orpheus wrote:

I think Ian summarised this slightly better than me previously but it's a wine that drinks as well with a main course (a fairly robust one, granted) as it does with a dessert. There. Versatile.

Haven't tried the 99 but the 2006 is fantastic and I would agree with the idea that it can be used with a main.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Ordered another case of the 99 VP and it's almost all gone, only a few cases left as of Friday. Looks like the kick-start of this thread may have contributed at least a little to their cash flow. :wink:

They said there's another VP special coming up in the next week or so - 1997 halves for $50/dozen. I gather they will be labeled like the 99s, and I think they said it's the GR27 Shiraz Tinte Molle.

Cheers,
Ian

via collins

Post by via collins »

Thanks for the heads up on the next special Ian, I'll be queueing up for that one as well.

I've done nearly a case of 99 now - great to have at hand after a nerve-wracking World Cup game, and also very handy to give away whenever we drop by at friends' places. "Versatile" in so many ways!

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

I heard the 99 VP sold out last Monday.

Dozens of the (equally highly awarded) 1997 Seppelt GR27 Fortified Shiraz Tinte Molle are now available for $50/case.

Also available is a new cheapy to replace the GR27 - a trial blend of the exact reverse of the above (1997 GR73 Fortified Tinte Molle Shiraz) for $30/dozen.

Cheers,
Ian

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Just got a dozen each of the two new releases, both with the same smart looking Seppelt labeling & capsules as the sold-out 1999 GR54 VP - the first one also has gold medals stickers from the Barossa & Rutherglen wine shows:

1997 Seppelt GR27 Fortified Shiraz Tinte Molle, 375ml (cork) $50/dozen: Four years on from when I last tried it (being sold for $13.99/bottle) little has changed apart from the price. Still a dark crimson colour with a hint of purple. Spicy and herbal, deep heat and liquorice, rich fruit cake and currants and a long, minty finish, significantly longer than the 1999 GR54 Fortifed Shiraz Touriga. A powerful and classy ruby port that still has decades ahead on this form.

1997 Seppelt GR73 Trial Blend Fortified Tinte Molle Shiraz, 375ml (cork) $30/dozen: The reverse blend of the GR27, and a very different wine but just as impressive. Brick red colour. Spicy and sweet, very earthy and a little stocky/leathery at times, but always full of currants and cinnamon; the palate’s significantly lighter-weight and very elegant, more Portuguese-style with neutral spirit and just a lick of chocolate. A slippery, elegant wine that’s just too good to leave alone. Ridiculous value.

Cheers,
Ian

Thommo

Post by Thommo »

is it still simply a matter of emailing Travis O'Callahan at Seppeltsfield?