May - What have you been buying

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
redwine

Re: May - What have you been buying

Post by redwine »

Craig(NZ) wrote:
1 x Penfolds Grange 1993

Made the same mistake I did huh? Wanna make the same mistake again and buy mine? Id let it go for NZ$200. Well what I mean is id sell the grange tissue wrapper to you for $200 and give you the 93 grange as a gift :mrgreen:

Craig

Thanks for the hint, I have not yet had a 93. So I guess I should sell this bottle again and try the 96 instead.

Cheers and happy drinking.

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

Turning into an expensive month,

Just added;

07 Pegau Cuvee Reservee CNdP
07 Mont Redon CNdP
07 Charvin CNdP
07 By Farr Chardy
06 Zema Cab Sav

Rednick wrote:So far this month,

07 Dupont-Tisserandot Bourgogne Passetoutgrains
07 Dupont-Tisserandot Fixin Les Treuilles
07 Dupont-Tisserandot Gevrey-Chambertin VV
07 Dupont-Tisserandot Ladoix
07 Dupont-Tisserandot Marsanny
07 Domaine Humbert Freres Fixin
07 Domaine Humbert Freres Gevrey-Chambertin VV
08 Dandelion Vineyards Lionheart of the Barossa Shiraz

rens

Post by rens »

redwine wrote:
TiggerK wrote:
rens wrote:Red, I read your posts with interest every month. You buy some very nice stuff. I'm interested to know what you do with these purchases. Every month you buy way more than your notes suggest you drink. Are you stocking up your cellar? If so, how big is it because you would have filled mine 3 times over since Christmas :shock: .
I'm not having a go, just interested in your buying pattern.

Rens

Hey rens, BTW, we've seen questions like yours before... Check through his previous posts... he's in Europe buying for collection/drinking but very often for resale. We're all generally highly jealous and also fascinated and interested.....

and BTW, redwine, appreciate the few extra tasting notes of late... :-)

Cheers
TiggerK

Tigger,

Thanks for your support here, I will try to keep up with posting some more notes and photos in the coming months.

Rens, my cellar has about 40 square meters and is stocked now with roughly 2k bottles. I will try to bring it down a bit again but as I mentioned there are currently some many tempting offers around that it will be a bit difficult.

Yes very jealous. Look forward to hearing and seeing more of your posts. I love the recent additions of the tasting notes.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Craig

Thanks for the hint, I have not yet had a 93. So I guess I should sell this bottle again and try the 96 instead.

yep the 96 is my favourite vintage. I actually think the 93 St Henri is better than the 93 Grange. Even though the 93 St Henri isn't written up well I have really enjoyed the several bottles I picked up for $20 a decade ago. Would be interested to hear if anyone has tried 93 Grange lately. I have tried it a couple of times but thinking about it it has been a decade since I last did.
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

24 x Doisy-Daëne, Barsac 2009. I hope I stop there with 09 Bordeaux and have the sense to back fill.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Craig(NZ) wrote:
Craig

yep the 96 is my favourite vintage. I actually think the 93 St Henri is better than the 93 Grange. Even though the 93 St Henri isn't written up well I have really enjoyed the several bottles I picked up for $20 a decade ago. Would be interested to hear if anyone has tried 93 Grange lately. I have tried it a couple of times but thinking about it it has been a decade since I last did.

While I haven't tried it, I've actually heard nothing but good things about the '93 Grange from people with little to no expectations (some raved about it two years ago at the Grange dinner) - maybe that's partly because it's considered a lesser vintage. While not comparable to the great vintages of the '90s by any stretch of the imagination (ie. 90/91/96/98), it's had bit of a reputation of being a surprisingly approachable Grange and damn good drink for a while now. :?

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Michael McNally wrote:6 x 08 Sons of Eden 'Kennedy' GSM
6 x 07 Sons of Eden 'Zephyrus' Shiraz/Viognier

At great rates from our host! Thanks Gavin :D

Added
12 x 2007 Marius Simpatico Shiraz (not to be touched for another 12months but they'll be great)
12 x Various Five Geese Shiraz and Grenache Shiraz - new producer for me an had a range of back vintages in a 6-pack
12 x 1998 Seppeltsfield Vintage Port 375ml Cleanskins - they still have these on special!

No more for a while
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Stavros

Post by Stavros »

Hey Micheal,

Have nearly finished off the last batch of the seppeltsfield 98 VP's...

Are they still available throught the direct route that had been posted here
last year ?

Cheers

S

rens

Post by rens »

It's all your fault Michael:

12 x 08 Sons of Eden 'Kennedy' GSM

Excellent little wine. I'm having another tonight...

DJ

Post by DJ »

Mix case of Marius 2007s - all other wine money being soaked up by fitting out the cellar in the house we moved into in January.

Today little brother helped move all the wine in :D a full day's job & I'm stuffed :?
David J

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake 1Ti 5:23

rens

Post by rens »

DJ wrote:Mix case of Marius 2007s - all other wine money being soaked up by fitting out the cellar in the house we moved into in January.

Today little brother helped move all the wine in :D a full day's job & I'm stuffed :?

Any photos DJ?
(The new cellar not the mixed case) :D

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

While I haven't tried it, I've actually heard nothing but good things about the '93 Grange from people with little to no expectations (some raved about it two years ago at the Grange dinner) - maybe that's partly because it's considered a lesser vintage. While not comparable to the great vintages of the '90s by any stretch of the imagination (ie. 90/91/96/98), it's had bit of a reputation of being a surprisingly approachable Grange and damn good drink for a while now.

I certainly hope you are right as haven't had any success flicking it off so i might have to drink it!! :mrgreen:

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

12 x Howard Park Cabernet Merlot 1994.

Justified it by reducing my Bordeaux 09 budget. About $50 a bottle - so no regrets as at all. :D :D :D
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

Christo

Post by Christo »

Jay60A wrote:12 x Howard Park Cabernet Merlot 1994.

Justified it by reducing my Bordeaux 09 budget. About $50 a bottle - so no regrets as at all. :D :D :D

awesome buy!!
"You are what u drink!"

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

Christo wrote:
Jay60A wrote:12 x Howard Park Cabernet Merlot 1994.

awesome buy!!

Aye I got four of them originally (two drunk) and then, the UK importer, Bibendum, seem to be flicking off their last museum stock.
You wouldn't pick it as an aussie, more like a second-growth Bordeaux from an opulent year like 1990 or 2000.
Most importantly, all in original six-packs, well cellared, and according to the sticker "Topped and Recorked Feb 08".
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

From recent auction a couple of Jamiesons Run 1998 Limited Release Coonawarra Cabernet on spec from a good cellar. A series of special release JR from 1998 have proved spectacular. Also others from 2001 have proved just as good with time required. Forget the label, drink the wine.

Chuck
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

12 x Howard Park Cabernet Merlot 1994

noice. drop a couple of bottles of overpriced bdx for a case of classics. wouldnt have to think too hard on that one!!

monghead

Post by monghead »

3x 1996 Margaux

Great price whist in the US.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

6x 09 Petaluma Hanlin Hill Riesling ($17 each)

Seems to be a general Rielsing sales blitz now that winter is almost here.

Pat

Post by Pat »

Bought a couple more bottles since the start of the month.
1 x 2006 Penfolds Cellar Reserve Cab Sav
5 x 2007 Ringbolt Cab Sav
1 x 2005 Morris Durif

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

still more 07 church rd reserve cab merlot. it's still around at $27-28 on special, and i will keep dribbling it into the cellar until it leaves the supermarket shelves! I am sure i will thank myself in 10 years time

speaking of which, has anyone seen and like to comment on the latest GK write up in which he rates this his top wine on the one hand but has a bit of a rant on the 07 coleraine? puzzling, is he the only critic/drinker that has had anything remotely average to say about this wine??

http://www.geoffkellywinereviews.co.nz/index.php?ArticleID=171

rooman

Post by rooman »

TiggerK wrote:
rens wrote:Red, I read your posts with interest every month. You buy some very nice stuff. I'm interested to know what you do with these purchases. Every month you buy way more than your notes suggest you drink. Are you stocking up your cellar? If so, how big is it because you would have filled mine 3 times over since Christmas :shock: .
I'm not having a go, just interested in your buying pattern.

Rens

Hey rens, BTW, we've seen questions like yours before... Check through his previous posts... he's in Europe buying for collection/drinking but very often for resale. We're all generally highly jealous and also fascinated and interested.....

and BTW, redwine, appreciate the few extra tasting notes of late... :-)

Cheers
TiggerK

I must admit it makes me sick to read what we could all be purchasing if we did not live in a country that taxed the sh*t out of wine. Some of the newspaper articles that were published around the time there was some discussion of changing the WET were appalling. Endless dribble about tax breaks for the rich. Sadly WET means in Australia only the rich can often afford to buy wines such as Redwine is able to pick up in Europe.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Having a laugh, and VERY much agree that the wine taxes are disgusting and stupidly high, but suddenly Aussie drops most wines taxes.... Yay I can suddenly afford cases of 89 Petrus... hmm, don't quite think so..

I suspect redwine has a little bit more money stashed away that I do.

Sigh..

:mrgreen:

rooman

Post by rooman »

TiggerK wrote:Having a laugh, and VERY much agree that the wine taxes are disgusting and stupidly high, but suddenly Aussie drops most wines taxes.... Yay I can suddenly afford cases of 89 Petrus... hmm, don't quite think so..

I suspect redwine has a little bit more money stashed away that I do.

Sigh..

:mrgreen:

Ok living in a country where the top personal rate is often no more than 22% also probably helps. The fact is as a country we detest people who do well and tax the fu^k out of them to make ourselves feel better.

These were some of the comments to an article published by the SMH on replacing the value based WET with a volumetric based tax:

"It's the same old hit the worker mentality. Great for the well heeled who make the laws, but poor old Mum and Dad who like a wine with dinner
or a couple of ladies who love a wine with book club will be hit once again. Many pensioners love a wine and will be priced out of one of their few currently affordable pleasures. Wake up and tax the rich instead of the poor and reverse your reasoning"

and my favourite

"Can't see any reason why high value, premium wines should be taxed less.Those who are well off and can afford them will be laughing. Hope there is something in the Henry review about tax avoidance. Those who have made a fortune in this country should pay their fair share of tax. Many don't. I have no choice as an employee, it's stopped at source. If your tax bill is in the millions, pay up and smile at the country that gave you the opportunity to get wealthy in the first place"

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

Another tempting deal, just could not passup on the TF in magnum and topped up with another wine I have been wanting to try:

2 Mags x Best'sThomson Family Shiraz 2001
2 x Yalumba Signature 1999

ACG

Post by ACG »

Craig(NZ) wrote:still more 07 church rd reserve cab merlot. it's still around at $27-28 on special, and i will keep dribbling it into the cellar until it leaves the supermarket shelves! I am sure i will thank myself in 10 years time

speaking of which, has anyone seen and like to comment on the latest GK write up in which he rates this his top wine on the one hand but has a bit of a rant on the 07 coleraine? puzzling, is he the only critic/drinker that has had anything remotely average to say about this wine??

http://www.geoffkellywinereviews.co.nz/index.php?ArticleID=171

That post of Geoff's is generally not his best, if purely by his blatant anti-Australian bias (and ignorance about Australian climate). Surprising given how balanced most of his stuff is.

reschsmooth

Post by reschsmooth »

For me:

3 Katnook Estate 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon
3 Katnook Founder's Block 2006 Merlot
6 Katnook Founder's Block 2007 Shiraz

3 2006 Penfolds St Henri
3 Grant Burge Blanc de Blancs
4 2007 Gulf Station Shiraz Viognier

Podere Ruggeri Corsini Nebbiolo 2006
Coriole Sangiovese 2008

The latter two for my oldest son's 3rd birthday party in 2 weeks time which will have an Italian theme. [No need to call DOCS, he won't be touching them].

There have also been other bits and pieces bought and drunk.

9redpens

Post by 9redpens »

Some sub $15 auction buys for me. Technically not in the month of May but i havn't posted for a while.

2006 MURDOCK WINES Riesling
2001 MURDOCK WINES Riesling
2002 TIDSWELL WINES Jennifer Cabernet
2002 MT TOOLLEEN Kavel Shiraz (Anyone tried or know anything about this wine???)

via collins

Post by via collins »

mmmmMayyyyy is almost over, the persimmon leaves are a flaming red, the pear tree leaves are a flaming gold and starting to fall, soon we can start opening some cabernet sauvignon, all is right in the world.....

2007 Domaine Raspail-Ay gigondas x 3
2007 Curly Flat chardonnay x 2
2008 Shaw & Smith M3 chardonnay x 3
2009 Drumborg riesling x 3
2009 Pewsey Vale riesling x 4
2008 Teusner Dog Strangler x 3

AndrewCowley

Post by AndrewCowley »

3x 2007 Woodlands Margaret Cabernet Merlot Malbec
3x 2005 Leasingham Classic Clare Shiraz
3x 2004 Leasingham Classic Clare Cabernet