Good Perth BYO's?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Partagas

Good Perth BYO's?

Post by Partagas »

Have lived here all my life but have never sought out a BYO restaurant specifically for that reason (being BYO). So we’re getting a group of friends together who all like the primo vino and for obvious reasons will want to spend the good money on food rather than way overpriced stuff. Has anybody got any suggestions?

Cheers

Sam

griff

Re: Good Perth BYO's?

Post by griff »

European is difficult.

Midweek: Tuesday is Bistro Felix day ($10/bottle). I think Star Anise has their cellar day on Tuesday as well. Twisted Fork in Mosman Park has $12/bottle BYO Tuesday -Thursday.

K's restaurant in Northbridge and Gavino's in Subiaco are the standard offline restaurants for a Friday/Saturday night. Da Bruno's in Inglewood is expensive but is BYO as well. Other options further out and perhaps better food would be Clarke's at North Beach and the Great Mellie in Fremantle. I can vouch for the food at the Great Mellie.

Asian and indian is different ballgame of course! Pretty easy to find one. Current faves are Kiri japanese, Zen sushi and the new yakitori place in subiaco. Anghitis for Indian in innaloo and Northbrdige has heaps: Regal on Roe, Four seasons, Red teapot etc.

Let us know how you go.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

AaronL

Post by AaronL »

Well I think there's ......... wait. Carl's mentioned that one. And there's also....... oh Carl's mentioned that one too.

Other's that are worth a mention are Red Cabbage (Tues - Thurs from memory), Nahm Thai, Nine Fine Food, Amuse (Tues). There's a heap of them out there.

And if you want it to be a little more special, taking your own glasses is always a good option if you're not sure of the quality of the restaurant's glasses 8)
I was waiting for a moment, but that moment never came

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

All great reading, and very interesting.

We are travelling to Margaret River, then Perth in May for a short stay/wine trip, so any information about good restaurant options, and especially those that BYO well will be great to read!

Keep them coming Perthites!

regards

Gavin Trott

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Thanks fellas,

We are planning a weekend dinner so it rules out the midweek stuff. Lots to choose from but there are always restrictions of course. Freo is probably out of the question for transport/drinking reasons (most of us have kids and this is a night away for the adults). Am looking into these suggestions and more and will definitely get back to this post after the dinner and rate the eventual place we attend.

griff

Post by griff »

AaronL wrote:Well I think there's ......... wait. Carl's mentioned that one. And there's also....... oh Carl's mentioned that one too.

Other's that are worth a mention are Red Cabbage (Tues - Thurs from memory), Nahm Thai, Nine Fine Food, Amuse (Tues). There's a heap of them out there.

And if you want it to be a little more special, taking your own glasses is always a good option if you're not sure of the quality of the restaurant's glasses 8)

Didn't know Amuse was BYO on Tues. Wanna go before June? :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

AaronL

Post by AaronL »

griff wrote:Didn't know Amuse was BYO on Tues. Wanna go before June? :)

Hmmm I could be persuaded. 8)

It doesn't mention anything on their website about BYO Tuesday, but I can see it elsewhere. I'll just have to confirm that they still do it.
I was waiting for a moment, but that moment never came

Rick Morcom

Post by Rick Morcom »

I have always found Vans in Cottesloe to be excellent. Not very formal though.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

hey i know of a couple in freo obviously not where you want to go :cry: but for anyone else who might be interested. Ruocco's in south freo for italian , Peds on Hampton rd freo is great for thai and Vivesins in freo is excellent for a mix of asian and fantastic food just walk off the train line for say 5 mins and your there also has a private room which is great for 8 to 12 people .

What are you cellabrating :?: or have you answered that

regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Hey Daz, just spending a night with good vino, food and friends really nothing else in particular. We occasionally get together like this, or do a wine night, but we all enjoy good wine and I personally am just sick of purchasing wine for three times the price upwards anymore (just tend to drink beer instead). I purchased a bottle of Madfish red the other week at a very average restaurant at $38 per bottle (I can go up the road and get it for around $12) and it’s only a cheap blend. The margins are getting beyond a joke even for an occasion or it might just be me being a humbug due to lower luxury budget :( . Anyway another suggestion has been Itsara which is a Thai restaurant in Nedlands. I might actually look around this area (Shenton Park, Subi etc) due to having quite a few good eateries around.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

agree totally Partagas ,I as a general rule wont eat there and yes i miss out on a few restaurants but hey i still go to a few rippers and I also want to add Sandrinos is both byo and licensed and same for next door as well so there are alot around when you look .........Sandrino gets so busy and gets noisy but hey its fantastic , Even the Red Herring will do it but corkage is extreme so take a bloody good bottle

regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Duncan

Post by Duncan »

We are travelling to Margaret River, then Perth in May for a short stay/wine trip, so any information about good restaurant options, and especially those that BYO well will be great to read!

Margaret River: Winos (great wine list), Must (wine list good I think no BYO)
Dunsborough: Food Farmacy - not BYO, and not the best wine list, but great food
Winery: newcomer Knee Deep has excellent food, and there's the usual favourites: Leeuwin, Voyager, Cullen, Xanadu, Flutes (Brookland Valley). Also Wills Domain is good. Wise is variable, but they have great ocean views for lunch.
Hide the rum Captain Jack Sparrow

griff

Post by griff »

Hey Partagas,

Any reports from your travels yet?

cheers

Carl

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day Partagas

Not sure if your event has passed or not already.

A group of 8 of us descended on Da Bruno in Inglwood on Saturday night. Food is fabulous, young but talented waitstaff looked after us superbly, and we finished up around 1am (last to leave) after sharing some of the wine with the staff when they ate (in a separate room) around midnight. Finished up with Bruno (chef and owner) sharing a couple of glasses and some great conversation.

We had two antipasto or tasting plates between 8 of us before anyone took an order. 7 had entree and mains, one only had mains, and one had dessert. We also shared a couple of cheese boards to help finish the reds. $800 was a reasonable price for the superb quality and service. It's also approximately the value of the wines I pulled out of the cellar for the night.

Wednesday onwards - give it a go - I still reckon this is the best BYO in Perth. I'm likely to be back there again very soon (a smaller party - but this will include a Grange - it's that sort of place)

Cheers

Allan

BTW, for those interested in Clarke's in North Beach - don't try and book more than 6 people at a time on weekends. They will refuse your booking. Otherwise, another great BYO
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

dkw

Post by dkw »

If you do ever head down towards Freo anyone, try Harvest in North Freo (opposite Mojo's). Very good tasting plate/degustation menu, which has changed recently from that listed on their website, and some interesting wines to go with it, but I noticed a BYO night $10/bottle on their chalkboard - can't remember which night of the week though.

The service was slow on the Friday night we went (4 hours for 5 tasting courses), but okay with us since we had plenty of chatter, and we also had the interesting opportunity of tasting the end of a bottle in one glass versus a new bottle in another glass with three of our matched wines.

Dave