Cork v Screwcap - photographic evidence

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
KMP

Cork v Screwcap - photographic evidence

Post by KMP »

These images are probably the best examples of why screwcaps work so well at preserving wine - and the wine itself apparently had developed age characters as well!

Mike

daz

Re: Cork v Screwcap - photographic evidence

Post by daz »

I guess Halliday has tried some of those early Yalumba(?) whites that were sealed under screwcap. He certainly seems to be an avid proponent of stelvin seals to the point that in one of his TNs I recall seeing he made a comment along the lines of "oh for a screwcap" for a wine with cellaring potential.

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

It really says it all!
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

certainly interesting!
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

The screwcapped bottle and the cork-sealled bottle right next it look indistinguishable. I wonder whether this was just a lucky/good cork or, as they mentioned that synethetics were also present, perhaps it was DIAM.

Does anyone know good DIAM is with oxygen ingress and consistency? It has seemed to perform well and get good results overall on the "luddite's tally" on the other forum.

The more the better

Post by The more the better »

Does anyone have any experience with banged up stelvin enclosures?

How do you know if the enclosure is damaged to the point of potentialy impacting on the wines ageing characteristic.

I purchased some Seppelt St.Peters 2004 recently for $35 but their stelvin enclosures were dented around the top and sides. No leaks or anything but I am wondering whether I should take a punt on letting them rest as I would normally.

daz

Post by daz »

AndrewJ wrote:The screwcapped bottle and the cork-sealled bottle right next it look indistinguishable. I wonder whether this was just a lucky/good cork or, as they mentioned that synethetics were also present, perhaps it was DIAM.

Does anyone know good DIAM is with oxygen ingress and consistency? It has seemed to perform well and get good results overall on the "luddite's tally" on the other forum.

DIAM seals are compressed, agglomerated cork similar to those seen in cheaper wines but which have been treated prior to compression to reputedly eliminate TCA. As far as I'm concerned, wines should be sealed to completely eliminate the ingress of oxygen thereby allowing only the dissolved oxygen in the wine itself and that in the headspace to play oxygen's part in the ageing process. It seems you took more notice of the luddites than justified by their opinions, let alone their arguments.

http://www.diam-cork.com/ Click on process and go to page 8.

Cheers

daz

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Does anyone have any experience with banged up stelvin enclosures?

How do you know if the enclosure is damaged to the point of potentialy impacting on the wines ageing characteristic.

I purchased some Seppelt St.Peters 2004 recently for $35 but their stelvin enclosures were dented around the top and sides. No leaks or anything but I am wondering whether I should take a punt on letting them rest as I would normally.

yep i have had a riesling with a damaged stelvin which has allowed air in to ruin the wine
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

reschsmooth

Post by reschsmooth »

daz wrote:I guess Halliday has tried some of those early Yalumba(?) whites that were sealed under screwcap. He certainly seems to be an avid proponent of stelvin seals to the point that in one of his TNs I recall seeing he made a comment along the lines of "oh for a screwcap" for a wine with cellaring potential.

In his 2010 book, referring to the 2006 Magill Estate he specifically admonishes the use of cork. I forget his exact comments, but they were noticable.

AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

daz wrote:
AndrewJ wrote:The screwcapped bottle and the cork-sealled bottle right next it look indistinguishable. I wonder whether this was just a lucky/good cork or, as they mentioned that synethetics were also present, perhaps it was DIAM.

DIAM seals are compressed, agglomerated cork similar to those seen in cheaper wines but which have been treated prior to compression to reputedly eliminate TCA. As far as I'm concerned, wines should be sealed to completely eliminate the ingress of oxygen thereby allowing only the dissolved oxygen in the wine itself and that in the headspace to play oxygen's part in the ageing process. It seems you took more notice of the luddites than justified by their opinions, let alone their arguments.

http://www.diam-cork.com/ Click on process and go to page 8.

You're preaching to the converted Daz. I was wondering is DIAM was as good as screwcap in terms of oxygen ingress (i.e. very low). I favourably compared the bottle to right of the screwcap due to its similar lack of oxidation, so I'm obviously pro low/no-ingress.

I remember Halliday (I think) commenting on Mount Mary's move to DIAM for their chardonnay, and saying that at the time DIAM could only guarantee aging for 10 years (whereas if sealed with a screwcap, the wine could last for 20). I think when he made that comment, DIAM only had a 10-year track record. If the bottle immediately to the right of the screwcap is DIAM, then one could assume the closure would go for longer. That's why I asked the question.