Unusual Chardonnay info request

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Gavin Trott

Unusual Chardonnay info request

Post by Gavin Trott »

Gavin here, with a 'seemingly' not quite so unusual Chardonnay request.

I have just had a customer seeking from me a recommendation for a really

Old Fashioned, typically buttery,oaky, full malo influence

style of Chardonnay.

This is not the first such request I've had for a wine like this, and find it very hard to answer, as not many of this style of chards are made any more ... well, at least to my knowledge.

Can anyone help, can anyone let me know Chardonnays that are still made in this style?

Value anyone's input and experience here?

regards

Gavin Trott

griff

Re: Unusual Chardonnay info request

Post by griff »

Best I have had recently was the Dixon Creek 2006. Old school yet still fresh.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

rooman

Post by rooman »

Blow I can't read the reviews. Are you able to cut and paste over the two wine reviews. I am interested to see what you think :mrgreen:

milky

Post by milky »

Just popped that same question to my colleague who's a big wooded chardy fan...

http://www.nepenthe.com.au/go/our-wines ... chardonnay

Apparently, so yum that she and her husband just wanted another bottle and forget about dinner! :lol:

Cheers.
Ray
Gosh... all this talk is making me thirsty!

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

rooman wrote:Blow I can't read the reviews. Are you able to cut and paste over the two wine reviews. I am interested to see what you think :mrgreen:

Not that interested though, obviously. They were for Gavin's reference - he can access them.
GW

Sean O'Sullivan

Post by Sean O'Sullivan »

deleted
Last edited by Sean O'Sullivan on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Thanks everyone so far.

Its actually much harder than you may think, especially if the customer wants the true old fashioned style, really oaky, buttery, butterscotch style.

These are rare, it seems to me, these days.

Of course, I also have to be able to access the wines for the customer, but one step at a time!

(I know of a couple of quite expensive ones that fit the bill!)

regards

Gavin Trott

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

What about some of the Hunter labels. Allandale? Alanmere (doe this label still exist)?

Lindemans Bin 65 :)

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Main Ridge - our chardonnay is 100% barrel fermented in new French oak barriques, lees stirred without sulphur dioxide for 11 months, & complete malo–lactic conversion. Natural yeasts are utilized to produce complex & individual wine.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

milky wrote:Just popped that same question to my colleague who's a big wooded chardy fan...

http://www.nepenthe.com.au/go/our-wines ... chardonnay

Apparently, so yum that she and her husband just wanted another bottle and forget about dinner! :lol:

Cheers.
Ray

I second this recommendation - I thought the '06 was malo'd & wooded to buggery when I tried it last year.

Cape Mentelle used to make them this style too - vanilla & cinnamon toast drenched in butter, although I haven't tried one for a few years...

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Yering Station Reserve tends to be in the bigger style as well. Or the one I had at least!
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Cape Mentelle are in the modern style these days, and rather good.

Most have that crisp acid profile these days, I started on that big rich style and enjoyed it at the time, but limited appeal now. Agree with Nepenthe, but hard to think of any others personally, other than Huntington Estate.

Enjoying a Devils Lair 2008 ATM!! Not traditional, just yum.

Cheers
TiggerK

Red

Post by Red »

The Moss Wood Chardonnay is still an old school, malo, heaily oaked chardonnay. Quite a fan actually

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

A tough one. The best example I can recall of this was a Saxonvale (remember them?) Hunter from 1988 :)

Seriously, if you can source it, I reckon the Upper Reach winery in the Swan Valley does this pretty well (their Reserve Chardonnay). I got some for a friend who was asking for precisely the characteristics you're looking for, and vintage variation doesn't seem to be huge. They don't age especially well, although the winery releases back vintages, and 3-4 years is about it. It seems to sell out year after year, however.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

ACG

Post by ACG »

Scarborough Yellow Label Chardonnay - white label if you leave it for a year or so
Paringa 'The Paringa' Chardonnay
Moorooduc Estate 'The Moorooduc' Chardonnay

rooman

Post by rooman »

I reckon a number of the kiwi chardonnays still meet this description. One of the best is the Neudorf Moutere Chardonnay. Also Coopers Creek Swamp Reserve Hawkes Bay Chardonnay. Because they are more cool climate, the acid levels carry this style much better than their Australian counterparts.

Sean O'Sullivan

deleted
Last edited by Sean O'Sullivan on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

Sean I thought cool climate chardonnays were typically less oaky and less malo, and more acid?

I would have thought that Hunter or Barossa would be likely to bring out the big oak monsters that Gavin's customer is looking for...

rooman

Post by rooman »

Sean O'Sullivan wrote:Rooman, not disagreeing with the idea of suggesting Kiwi chardys. But I think Mornington Peninsula is still regarded as a genuine cool-climate wine region, which is where the chardys that I suggested are from. :)

Sean

Sadly I seem to be drinking less chardonnays nowadays so perhaps I should have said nothing. Nothing deliberate, just seems we drink about 80% riesling at home at present. To me Mornington is Stonier and I recall that as more refined than was suggested above. Actually there are a ton of chardonnays I would like to try particularly Kooyong. I would also like to try more Rousanne from the Rhone and whites from Italy. So many bottles, so little time.

Sean O'Sullivan

deleted
Last edited by Sean O'Sullivan on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

I think most Chardonnays have been toned down over the years, rather like the reducing salt levels in Vegemite.
Best bigger style I have had recently was Huntington Estate Barrel Fermented 2006. Tim Stevens likes the bigger style so most vintages tend to be made in this manner. He thinks the pendulum has swung too far towards the more crisp, austere sort of wines. My palate agrees with him and thus I drink far less chardonnay than I used to. When I do, more often than not it is Bin 65!
"It is very hard to make predictions, especially about the future." Samuel Goldwyn

Sean O'Sullivan

deleted
Last edited by Sean O'Sullivan on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean O'Sullivan

deleted
Last edited by Sean O'Sullivan on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

M3 is a more elegant, leaner style.

Sean O'Sullivan

deleted
Last edited by Sean O'Sullivan on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

I think all the Kumeu River Chardies go through full malo. The winemaker was adamant that the Estate is definitely full malo, so I will assume they all are.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

daz

Post by daz »

Sean, I remember having bought a couple of bottles of St Huberts chardy at CD in Dec 2000, possibly 98 vintage? I still remember sharing a bottle with the elder of my bros and his wife. I loved it, would've forgotten it otherwise. Stonier (not Reserve) 05? is another I've enjoyed in the past too. I'll also mention Wise Pemberton Reserve 05 which I preferred to the Brokenwood Indigo 05 I bought at the same time because the Wise was more full-bodied than the Brokenwood. But - according to Halliday the Indigo(Beechworth Vic) 08 is a cracker with barrel ferment characters in the flavour profile. Still, probably more in the "modern" style than Gavin's client is looking for.

Cheers

daz

Sean O'Sullivan

deleted
Last edited by Sean O'Sullivan on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean O'Sullivan

deleted
Last edited by Sean O'Sullivan on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.