Tyrrell's vat 1 semillon 1999 drinking window?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Partagas

Tyrrell's vat 1 semillon 1999 drinking window?

Post by Partagas »

I haven’t had much experience with cellaring Semillon before, so does anybody have any experience with this wine? I am thinking of cracking a bottle open but not sure if it is ready or not. Have a sneaking suspicion it should be though.

Cheers

Sam

TiggerK

Re: Tyrrell's vat 1 semillon 1999 drinking window?

Post by TiggerK »

This was ACG's note from the recent Sydney Wine Show...

Have tried 98 and 2002, and both were showing like a 3 year old. Haven't tried 99 myself, but based on this and others, I'd say leave another 5 years, and it'll likely go for 5 after that too.....

Tyrrells Vat 1 Semillon 1999 (Hunter Valley, NSW)
Bronze Medal
Perhaps the 99's are in an awkward stage, as I'm sure this was a top flight wine last time I tried it. Toastier, more open and larger than the HVD, perhaps with a bit of a grassy edge too. Dry, long and powerful palate with some unusual, green pea meets butter development on the palate. Rather awkward shape actually. Leave it. 16.8/89++

Cheers
TiggerK

rooman

Post by rooman »

I had the first of my 6 pack recently. It is drinking superbly. Great structure with no sign of the acid disappearing. If you have more than one then I would suggest trying one. If you only have one, then wait another 2-3 years.

Red

Post by Red »

You can leave it alone for many years if you want to. Had a bottle about 6 months ago, and its still tasted incredibly fresh and crisp. Its drinking beautifully but its yet to develop into an aged Hunter Semillon.

Softie

Post by Softie »

The above opinions are very sound: a whole wine tasting group (our trans-Sydney group ~18 folks), agreed with Tigger K's assessment (Tim's a member of our group) when we did our Semillon tasting night: even the 98 was tasting like a pup (bad metaphor).

On reflection, I've tasted 4 bottles of the 02 over the last year because it's the best white at a Newcastle restaurant we frequent frequently. Lovely wine even at this stage, but (consistent with above) forget notable aged character for the 02 for at least four years, and probably much longer.

John

Pat

Post by Pat »

On Sunday I (with friends) had a 98 and a 00. The 98 has at least 3 more years. The 00 was fantastic also and is just starting to come into it's own. Just developing the honey colour. Whilst the 98 gets all the plaudits the 00 is a cracking wine. IMHO the 99 should last for another 3-4 years.

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

I had a 91 Vat 1 a month or so ago and it was definitely ready, if not a little past ready. An extraordinary experience though in terms of the astonishing difference between a young and an old Hunter semillon. Also 91 is I believe not a particularly good year.

Also had a 99 Tyrrell's Belford semillon last year and that was rocking, despite being their third or fourth label down the food chain. So I'd guess a decently stored 99 Vat 1 would have a lot more to give.

The last time I tried an 02 Vat 1 it clearly had decades left in it.
3, 65, 7, 50

ACG

Post by ACG »

The 99 looked very youthful. I'd wait 2-3 more years (depending on cellaring conditions of course).

Should make it to the end of this decade methinks.

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Thanks very much for the response, all good info.

Unfortunately it is my only bottle and I really do enjoy aged Hunter Semillon as far as my limited experience of this variety goes. Judging on the reports I will keep it another couple of years as it has been carefully cellared from purchase. Might try a similar bottle soon though.

Cheers

Sam

pokolbinguy

Post by pokolbinguy »

Mate if its anything like the 1999 Mount Pleasant Lovedale or Elizabeth than it will have plenty of life left in it. mmmmm Yumm

JDSJDS

Post by JDSJDS »

Had the 1998 last week. I didn't take notes, but scrawled some hasty notes a few days later. It was still quite young, but very nice now too. A have another bottle, and won;t open for at least 3 years.

"Great Vat 1. Still seems young, but the toasty notes and lanolin flavours are starting to get there. Lots of citrus notes on the bracing, medium-bodied palate. A great example of a Hunter Valley semillon (A-)".

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

99 Vat 1 more approachable now than the 98 and always has been. I'd leave 98 alone but the 99 is fine to drink now ..or over the next 10 years.
GW

rooman

Post by rooman »

Gary,

Do you really believe the 99 will go another 10 years. I don't have that much experience with Semillons past 10 years. I definitely find it very drinkable now.

Mark

AaronL

Post by AaronL »

I think it really depends on how you like to drink them. I had a 1997 Tyrrells Belford at 10 years of age, and that could have gone another 5 years without too much trouble. I don't think there's mauch danger of the Vat 1 falling over anytime soon.

So if you're more of an acid freak, drink now but if you're more towards a necro-vinophile drink it in 20 years. If you're somewhere in between, then take your pick 8)
I was waiting for a moment, but that moment never came

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

rooman wrote:Gary,

Do you really believe the 99 will go another 10 years. I don't have that much experience with Semillons past 10 years. I definitely find it very drinkable now.

Mark

Depends almost entirely on the cork.
GW