Dining advice- New Orleans

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
monghead

Dining advice- New Orleans

Post by monghead »

Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone has any experience dining in New Orleans?

Any great restaurants or wine bars?

Cheers,

Monghead.

monghead

Re: Dining advice- New Orleans

Post by monghead »

Yes, I know, a quick google search has also left me a little uninspired...

Need some inspiration guys.

...please...

Monghead.

via collins

Post by via collins »

I'm on hand-held, so can't cut and paste link, but if it's inspiration you're after, google "progressive dinner party" and "nabakov" and "new orleans".
Nothing but inspiration there.
I haven't been since 1989, anything I enjoyed is gone I assume!

Bick

Post by Bick »

monghead wrote:Was wondering if anyone has any experience dining in New Orleans?

Yes, plenty, but all in the Quarter. Grab a bucket of fried alligator and french fries, washed down with a couple of 'Hurricanes' - anything else just isn't Orleans. :wink:
Cheers,
Mike

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Monghead

A friend of mine was on holiday in the US recently and had a ball in New Orleans.
The place called O’Briens is meant to be particularly memorable.
Here’s his response to my info request.

It’s called Pat O’Briens - it’s on a side street off Bourbon St. The Piano Bar is the best section. http://www.patobriens.com/

Also there is a street called Frenchmen Street where the locals go and has the cool jazz, its on the outskirts of the French Quarter. Probably best place for a glass of vino and some music.

Restaurant called Jacque Imo’s – its uptown but a cool experience http://www.jacquesimoscafe.com/

And have to go to Café du Monde for beignets (doughnuts) http://www.cafedumonde.com/

Snug harbour great food great music and excellent bar: http://www.snugjazz.com/site/

monghead

Post by monghead »

Thank you all.

Hmmm, looks like Gators, Gumbo, Greasy fries, and Gallons of rum...

Can't wait.

Cheers,

Monghead.

griff

Post by griff »

Can you go further afield? Bern's Steak House is portrayed as heaven on earth for wino's but is in Tampa, Florida.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

monghead

Post by monghead »

griff wrote:Can you go further afield? Bern's Steak House is portrayed as heaven on earth for wino's but is in Tampa, Florida.

cheers

Carl

Unfortunately, no.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

It was a while ago we were there and we weren't really doing the fine dining thing but you'll get good cajun and creole food all over. Can't help you re wine bars.

I can certainly second cafe du monde. It's an institution and while the coffe will never compete with Sydney, the beignets are great.

You won't be able to avoid Hurricanes so just go with it. It's a pretty amazing city.Taking the Charles St trolley and checking out all the big houses is interesting. There's some cool voodoo shops and of course the jazz bars too. Just be careful at night in the quieter streets, particularly between the french quarter and the convention area as they are notorious for tourist muggings. Helps if you're not staggering as you walk though.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

pizzler

Post by pizzler »

I'm married to a Cajun and her whole family is from Louisiana. Here are some of our favorites:

Mother's (lunch only). It's the place for Po'boys. A veritable hole in the wall, but really good and world famous nonetheless.
Commander's Palace: Classic Creole cooking in a neat setting. Always good.
Cafe du Monde (breakfast only) beignets and coffee.
K-Paul's: Classic Cajun cooking. It is a little touristy, but good.

I thought Brennan's was a tourist trap unless you get back into their private dining rooms with a local who's got juice (influence).

monghead

Post by monghead »

Thanks pizzler,

Advice noted.

Monghead.