Your favourite QPR aussie riesling

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
caper

Your favourite QPR aussie riesling

Post by caper »

Be interested to learn what you believe is the aussie riesling that offers the best value for money. Mine is the Forest Hill Block 1.
stretch your mind----drink wine blind

Michael McNally

Re: Your favourite QPR aussie riesling

Post by Michael McNally »

On QPR alone I would have to say 2008 Jacobs Creek.
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

griff

Post by griff »

At the moment I'm thinking the 2009 Pewsey Vale and maybe the Bellarmine Auslese.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

daz

Post by daz »

Yep, Jacobs Creek is hard to beat on QPR but I reckon Jim Barry is up there when $12-$14. The couple of Forest Hill Block 1s I've had were great but it's price is in premium riesling territory.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

I'd have to agree with Daz that Forest Hill Bock 1is in premium territory, and I'd rather buy 2.5 Pewsey Vales for the price. Both the Block 1 and standard Forest Hills are good wines, nonetheless, but I'll put my mouth where my money is, and I buy at least a case of Pewsey Vale each year, and cellar some.

Jacob's Creek Reserve is good at $11 from a QPR viewpoint. There used to be a wealth of excellent Clare Valley rieslings in the $10-15 price range, but they seem to have moved up.....I also agree with Jim Barry when on special.

To be honest, $15 used to be a very good riesling, and now it is just a good riesling on special. If you can get Clare Valley, Eden Valley or Great Southern riesling for this price, you're probably going OK. Most other areas are more pricey, probably due to smaller volume.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Does it really matter if it were in the premium price range? The thread says QPR, so I guess it's relative to the consumer's usual buying habits...

Also, I find there can be alot of variability between vintages, so if the question were for the best available now, I would say the Dandelion or the Frankland Estate Isolation Ridge. However, if it were phrased the best/favourite QPR year in year out, something that you could always depend on, I would say the Grosset Watervale/Springvale.

Cheers,

Monghead.

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

With riesling, the QPR is always pretty good.

My vote goes to the Seppelt Drumborg riesling, phenomenal quality, excellent price for what you get.

via collins

Post by via collins »

Changes all the time depending on what's to hand.

Last year, Lehmann Eden Valley, this year, Knight Granite Hills. As per earlier comment, there's an embarrassment of riches in this category!

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

For me, maybe JC Steingarten which is often specialled at 25% off in the UK.
Howard Park Riesling also.
Grossets, yup.
Tonnes of great Oz riesling, all good QPR.

Lots of people don't like Riesling. I have served Steingarten (07) to non-wino friends some of whom describe it as too sweet, some as too sour. :evil:
Philistines, let them drink Oyster Bay SB and they are happy ...
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

Or Crawford River?

fatdoi

Post by fatdoi »

Radford of Eden Valley my pick

cheers
william
Relax.... In the end it's only grape juice with a twist

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

I've managed to get some Petalums Hanlin Hills for under $17 recently. At that price it's exceptional QPR but it's still pretty good around $22 which is what I usually pay.
Also usually buy the Grosset pair each year but possibly not the best QPR. And then the Seppelt Drumborg in the good years too which is usually pretty well priced. Quite like the Pewsey Vale too and it's often a bargain.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

At the moment it's the Jim Barry Watervale, at around $13-15

Good solid wine and a bargain to boot
The Dog of Wine

Chad

Post by Chad »

I would have to say any of the Bellarmine rieslings (Riesling, Dry or Auslese). Year in year out fantastic wines. I like the Auslese the most as it can be drank as an apertif, with a main meal or even as a desert style wine. It is just so beautifully balanced with acidity and fruit. Truly a magnificant wine for the price. My wife however prefers the regular riesling as it's not quite as sweet.

In addition I would have to add Pewsey Vale and Howard Park to my list of favourites based on bang for buck.

Chad

Mandingo

Post by Mandingo »

The 08 Yalumba Y Series was a cracker for $8 - grabbed 4 dozen.

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

There are lots of good recommendations here. It seems there is pretty good QPR with aussie riesling.

I was impressed with a 2004 Tahbilk Riesling a few weeks ago. It was really good and about $12.

My absolute best QPR riesling of all time is the unreleased 2004 Steingarten, which I managed to get for $45 a case ($4.75 per bottle).
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Petaluma Hanlin Hill Riesling. This is one label I wish I put away each year.

dlo

Post by dlo »

The critical point of the argument here is the "embarrassment of riches" mentioned earlier in this thread. Whether 10, 20 or 30 dollars a bottle .... Riesling made in this country is generally of very good to exceptional quality, is readily available, cellars brilliantly and will never cost you an arm or a leg, like many of our over-priced reds. Heaven help us if Aussie Riesling starts gaining cult status. I collect heaps of it and love the stuff. Too many great labels/makers to pinpoint a favourite.
Cheers,

David

monghead

Post by monghead »

All this talk of rieslings reminds me that my stocks of it are critically low. Time to shop...

Davo

Post by Davo »

As I have gotten older I have almost completely given up on the steely acidfest that is Oz riesling and almost exclusively purchase old world gear. However I must admit to succumbing and buying half a doz Jim Barry Florita 2009 and a doz Jim Barry Watervale 2009 on our recent foray through the valleys Barossa and Clare. And the Watervale at $16 a bottle was pretty fine juice for the price.

Sean O'Sullivan

Post by Sean O'Sullivan »

deleted
Last edited by Sean O'Sullivan on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

I agree with Michael, at $6-$7 a bottle the standard Jacobs Creek is hard to past for QPR.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Aussie riesling is a bargain QPR in a world wide sense. $20ish still gets great and cellarable wines.

I always but Rockfords Eden Valley but should be more creative as I am finding it a little old fashioned with age. Henschke's Lenswood is a favorite after a few years in a cellar.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

Just drinking a 1998 Delatite right now. Stunning!

Cheers

Dave

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Pewsey Vale and Petaluma for me. Even at $40, the Grossets are extraordinarily good value.

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

We were drinking a lot of Orlando St Helga 2004, discounted to under $15, and Richmond Grove Limited Release WaterVale Riesling 2004, about $12.99, until just recently (now all gone). Prices reflect the inability of this style of Riesling to sell in this country, hence someone has decided these labels be discontinued over here - well, the Richmond Grove anyway. For QPR, I'd say Orlando (Jacobs Creek) produces some of the best value Rieslings without a doubt.