Langhorne Creek and Fleurieu Peninsula (minus McLaren Vale)

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
orriettacat

Langhorne Creek and Fleurieu Peninsula (minus McLaren Vale)

Post by orriettacat »

Hi all,

Am staying in Port Elliot/Victor Harbour area over Easter with friends and intend visiting Langorne Creek and Fleurieu Peninsula Vineyards, etc. We did McLaren Vale last easter so hoping to cover the "others" this year.

I have done some research on the web, but it seems that sometimes the information is outdated as some cellar doors or restaurants have closed. Does anyone have any favourite cellar doors or restaurants or other interesting food places to suggest?

cheers and thanks

Paul

Chad

Re: Langhorne Creek and Fleurieu Peninsula (minus McLaren Vale)

Post by Chad »

I have not been to Langhorne Creek, but I thoroughly enjoy the wines from Bremerton. I would consider giving them a go in addition to Lake Breeze.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Forgot the name but the local pub on the main drag is quite rustic and serves a good steak with a good range of local wines. Very reasonably priced too.

Chuck
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Also suggest you try Bleasdale if you can. A lot of history here.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

daz

Post by daz »

Waiters Friend wrote:Also suggest you try Bleasdale if you can. A lot of history here.

:wink: Knew someone else would mention Bleasdale so didn't bother. Their Bremerview shiraz can be pretty good, the 05s I had were.

Cheers

daz

darby

Post by darby »

I'm going to Port Elliot next week. There are plenty of smaller vineyards around with lakes of shiraz and chardy to sell.

Try these for off the beaten track.

Mt Jagged in Southern Fleurieu for their sparkling red. Rusticana Langhorne Creek for their Durif and Zinfandel (and try their horseradish beetroot relish)

Cheers

tim1210

Post by tim1210 »

Hey,
I'd like to put in a massive plug for the victory hotel on the highway at sellick's beach. When last we were there we were really enjoyed the absolutely amazing food, great atmosphere and amazing cellar (and all at very good prices inc $50 for a 1996 oliver's taranga shiraz which was in great shape). A real must if you're in the area. I'd almost make another trip from QLD just for the food...
Tim

Joe Cz

Post by Joe Cz »

Considering the lack of competition, the pub in Langhorne Creek is much better than it has to be.

Wineries you might consider in the Creek: Bleasdale, Bremerton, Lake Breeze, Temple Bruer (be prepared for some offbeat stuff). Decent lunch/platters at Bremerton.
Joe Czerwinski

WineAroundOz

Post by WineAroundOz »

tim1210 wrote:Hey,
I'd like to put in a massive plug for the victory hotel on the highway at sellick's beach. When last we were there we were really enjoyed the absolutely amazing food, great atmosphere and amazing cellar (and all at very good prices inc $50 for a 1996 oliver's taranga shiraz which was in great shape). A real must if you're in the area. I'd almost make another trip from QLD just for the food...
Tim

Ditto about the Victory Hotel. Not on the Langhorne Creek side of the peninsula (part of McLaren Vale really), but they have an AMAZING cellar that you can go down and wander around in and spend as little $30 or over $200, whatever takes your fancy.

Tim A

WineAroundOz

Post by WineAroundOz »

Seen Bleasdale come up a few times here. Was bitterly disappointed with their wines. It's apparently the 2nd oldest family winery in the country. The vines look old, regal and healthy on the way in, but what I tasted in the cellar door was bit of a let down. Guess you gotta go and check it for yourself though. If you've got people with you who are imbibing their tastings, this place might be beneficial to them as you pour your own tasting sizes.
There is a review of a day tasting in Langhorne Creek at http://www.winearoundoz.com/2010/03/tas ... rne-creek/

Tim