Info Request: 2001 Alkoomi Frankland River Shiraz

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Bytown Rick

Info Request: 2001 Alkoomi Frankland River Shiraz

Post by Bytown Rick »

A few weeks back PaulV posted a note expressing disappointment at the 2001 Alkoomi Shiraz that he had tried http://www.auswine.com.au/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=57, particularly given James Halliday's excellent review.

The Frankland River comes on sale here soon, and I was wondering:

1. I understand that Alkoomi makes a number of different Shiraz'. Paul -- was the one that you tried the Frankland River?

2. Do others share Paul's disappointment with the 2001 Alkoomi?

Thanks.

Rick

TORB

Post by TORB »

Rick,

From my WA Tour Diary in Feb

<B>Alkoomi 2001 Shiraz</B> ($21) is dark purple in colour with a vibrant hue. The wine has an intense fruit nose showing rich blackcurrant, star anise and spice. Tannins are unobtrusive but drying, the fruit pure strong and persistent with great intensity across the palate without any extraction. It finishes long with flavours of blackcurrant and aniseed. It's a medium bodied wine with supple consistency, a layered structure and harmonious complexity which allows to fruit to speak and is ready to drink now or over the next few years. Rated as <FONT COLOR="#0000FF"><B>Highly Recommended with ****</B></FONT> for value this is most enjoyable drop and suits a fruit lush like me perfectly.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Bytown Rick

Post by Bytown Rick »

Thanks Ric. Looks like one to stock up on :D .

Rick

PaulV

Post by PaulV »

Rick (London)

Just another example of when winemakers see TORB strolling into their wine cellar they pull out their best batch bottling :) Just kidding.

As I said in my post I wasn't sure if the bottle I had was representative or a case of mild TCA taint. Still not sure as AndrewS was similalrly underwhelmed and I can't believe my palate and TORB's is that different that one of us would find the wine showing an extremely short finish and the other finishing long.

My advice would be to buy a bottle first and try it yourself - hey if JH and TORB both see it as great VFM who am I to question - just bad luck Parker didn't score it :P

Cheers

Paul

ps yes it was the frankland river shiraz

AndrewS

Post by AndrewS »

Hi Paul (and Ric(k)s)

Interesting to see Rics tasting note. The flavour profile seems similar to my memory of this wine also but the intensity and length experienced does not.

I dont think taint was an issue as 2 bottles were similiar (but it doesnt rule it out I guess). The thing that doesn't sit with me is that I was underwhelmed at the $14 price point and Ric is **** at $21. I was trying hard to be impressed at that price.

Anyway, Im curious to have another go at this wine.

Cheers,
Andrew.