Yarra Valley Favourite Wineries and Lunch

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Michael McNally

Yarra Valley Favourite Wineries and Lunch

Post by Michael McNally »

G'day all

Hopefully spending a day in the Yarra this coming weekend. Would like your suggestions for one or two "must sees". I have done a search and found little. I hope to have a look at Hoddles Creek. Other ideas include De Bortoli amd Oakridge.

Mainly interested in Cabernet, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and (possibly) Shiraz. I am not in the market for $40-50 booze, so places that have good wines for under $30 would be great. Happy to try "lesser lights" rather than "big names".

Any recommendations for lunch would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.....

Michael
Last edited by Michael McNally on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Charles Emilio

Re: Yarra Valley Wineries and Lunch

Post by Charles Emilio »

For wines I would recommend Punt Road in Coldstream, their new Airlie Bank range is well under $30 and are really good regional expressions. The Shiraz VIognier is superb.

Pinot Noir is tough under $30

Rawshack

Re: Yarra Valley Wineries and Lunch

Post by Rawshack »

De Bortoli has an extensive cellar door that's worth a visit, as well as a respected restaurant

Always like going to Coldstream for it's location if nothing else.
The Dog of Wine

Teddy

Re: Yarra Valley Favourite Wineries and Lunch

Post by Teddy »

Shantell winery has some nice wines and do some great lunch there, has a really good outlook from the dining room food is mod/aus and matched to there own wine.
Trev

BHCC

Post by BHCC »

The wineries you are considering are good. The following suggestions could also be considered:

Although the wine prices are above the threshold you have set you should consider looking at Yarra Yering - there is a tasting fee and they may be closed for vintage but worth a try anyway. If you are up that way also try Warramate: small and very good.

The Yarra Valley Dairy acts as a cellar door for a number of small producers - some good value wines here.

Many dining options and depends what you are after but the recently redesigned bistro at Domaine Chandon is quite good.

If in Healesville drop in the the Barrique Wine Store.

Hope the weather is better than it is now - belting with rain and high humidity - feels more like the Hunter!

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

I recommend lunch at Ferguson's. Good Shiraz, Pinot under $30 and more importantly, somewhere good to eat.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

If you do go to De Bortoli, it is worth hopping across the road to Millers Dixons Creek, especially if they have their 2006 Chardonnay still available. That's a cracker. They also make a couple of Bordeaux blends that are pretty good.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Michael McNally

Ah, the wise cuttlefish. Millers Dixon Creek was on my list of probables.

Thanks for the input folks!

I'll have a look at De Bortoli, Shantell, Fergusson and Millers Dixon Creek as they are all within spitting distance.

Maybe then Punt Road, Oakridge and Coldstream.

Unfortunately Franco has a family do on, so Hoddles Creek will have to wait for next time.....

Cheers

Michael

Pip

Post by Pip »

Hi all,

Need some help! am from the mornington peninsula and i am organising a wine tour for myself and 20 of my friends in October out to the Yarra Valley (we did the mornington peninsula tour last year) any suggestions on places that have good wine and good food that is reasonably priced? also looking for a good atmosphere.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Pip

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Definitely stop at Dominique Portet which is close to Oakridge, they make some great wines!

Innocent Bystander / Giant Steps is worth the stop if in Healesville and does good pizza's etc for a less formal lunch (though it gets busy on weekends so you may need to book assuming you can actually book) the white rabbit brewery is there too.

Yearing and Chandon are the best of the bigger wineries that I've been to, dont bother with Rockford I thought all their wines were terrible the few times Ive been there but maybe thats me :lol:

Helens Hill do really nice Chardonay and Tarrawirra has a little art gallery next to it and what looked to be quite a nice restarant.

Michael McNally

My recent(ish) trip notes here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11037

Avoid Fergusson. For a true cellar door experience don't miss Miller's Dixon Creek Estate.

Cheers

Michael