Recommend me...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Rawshack

Recommend me...

Post by Rawshack »

Some good, affordable Barossa Shiraz

For some reason I've avoided it like the plaque, no idea why, but at the weekend I had a rather nice little Shiraz by Haan wines, for around $15

Any other good entry level reds anyone can recommend?
The Dog of Wine

PaulG

Re: Recommend me...

Post by PaulG »

I love and adore JJ Hahn '1914' Shiraz, which can be bought for a steal (imho) at the moment for about $34/bottle, so not quite entry level, but very good value (considering previous vintages went for approx $65 on release!), however my love of this wine is not shared by others (David and Ian felt it was far too American Oak-ey for their liking at the last offline. Despite this, I still love it!).

via collins

Post by via collins »

Fairly stock standard choice is the Teusner Riebke.

Never seems to let anybody down, maybe a shade over $15...

griff

Post by griff »

I second Teusner as wines that I have tried. Riebke is good value. The Albert 2006 is an excellent wine but over $50. Another wine that was very impressive was the Peter Lehmann Eight Songs 2004 at over $30.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

PaulG wrote:I love and adore JJ Hahn '1914' Shiraz, which can be bought for a steal (imho) at the moment for about $34/bottle, so not quite entry level, but very good value (considering previous vintages went for approx $65 on release!), however my love of this wine is not shared by others (David and Ian felt it was far too American Oak-ey for their liking at the last offline. Despite this, I still love it!).

The 2006 vintage of the JJ Hahn 1914 can be had for $25pb with a bonus Tatachilla Foundation Shiraz with a 6-pack. I believe the JJ Hahn range may be discontinued when current bottlings are sold.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Thorn Clark Sandpiper Shiraz 2008
Best value Barossa shiraz I have had in recent times. Should be obtainable <15, possibly even around 12. An excellent starting point IMO. 2007 was also a very handy wine.
"It is very hard to make predictions, especially about the future." Samuel Goldwyn

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

Jacob's Creek Reserve from better vintages can be a good example for about $10

Likewise Richmond Grove Barossa Vineyards for about $15

Torbreck Woodcutters is one of my favourites - probably just over $15
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

daz

Post by daz »

I'm another Teusner Riebke advocate. St Hallett Faith is a good reliable Barossa Shiraz too though a rung below the Riebke. I've also tried St Hallett's Broken Plough Single Vineyard Shiraz (usually CD only? from TWS) that's a soft, well-fruited wine though a bit simple. It's some time since I had a Thorn-Clarke Sandpiper shiraz but it was good value last time I did. Their Shotfire Ridge can be found for <$20 - it's a definite step up from the Sandpiper. Tin Shed (Eden Valley) Melting Pot Shiraz has some similarities to Barossa Shiraz and can be found for under $20, similarly Longhop Shiraz (Mt Lofty Ranges) for about $15. Peter Lehmann Shiraz can be good depending on vintage, is perhaps comparable to the St Hallett Faith in terms of qpr. I think Jacobs Creek Reserve is a multi-regional shiraz blend but it can be good. Kaesler Stonehorse Shiraz can be found for around $20-$25, is perhaps eqvivalent in quality to the Riebke but a little more expensive. Viking Wines' Grand Barossa Shiraz is good when found for about $20.

Enjoy your investigation of affordable Barossa Shiraz!

Cheers

daz

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Agree about the Longhop. Had the 2007 and 2008 recently and excellent gear.

If looking further afield (ie all the way to Clare) the 2008 Kirrihill Shiraz is brilliant and can be found for 10 or 11 dollars. I wrote a note the other night so I'll post it when I get home from work.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

milky

Post by milky »

I love Barossa Shiraz & blends! Especially good value ones.

Similarly, I'd recommend Teusner "The Riebke", Thorn-Clarke Shortfire Ridge, Longhop, and Kaesler Stonehorse.

In addition, I have enjoyed: Arete (not easy to find), Charles Cimicky "Trump", Charles Melton "Father-in-law", Grant Burge "Miamba", Langmeil Valley Floor, Torzi Matthews' "Schist Rock", Trevor Jones "Boots", Two Hands "Angel's Share", Two Hands "Gnarly Dudes". Some are less "boutique" than others, but all under $30 ea.

There's still so much good ones to try... :D
Gosh... all this talk is making me thirsty!

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Folks

Thanks to everyone who has replied, I've got some great suggestions and I'm looking forward to a weekends shopping (and drinking)

I'll try and keep you updated how I go

Rawshack
The Dog of Wine

via collins

Post by via collins »

Is the Longhop a Barossa drop? I always thought it Adelaide Hills - either way, 07 and 08 are both great, and cheap as chips.

Enjoyed a 08 Langmeil Valley Floor last week, and found it beautifully balanced - superb dark colour too.

griff

Post by griff »

via collins wrote:Is the Longhop a Barossa drop? I always thought it Adelaide Hills - either way, 07 and 08 are both great, and cheap as chips.

Adelaide Plains I believe. Not sure where that is though :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

griff wrote:
via collins wrote:Is the Longhop a Barossa drop? I always thought it Adelaide Hills - either way, 07 and 08 are both great, and cheap as chips.

cheers

Carl

Adelaide Plains is north of Adelaide b/n Adelaide and the Barossa and west of the main highway to Barossa as you go North. Gradually being overtaken by housing. Used to be the home base of Primo Estate before they opened the new edifice in McLaren Vale.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

I love some of the already recommended wines. For about $15 I reckon Winter Creek is very hard to beat.
Mike.

griff

Post by griff »

Red Bigot wrote:
griff wrote:

cheers

Carl

Adelaide Plains is north of Adelaide b/n Adelaide and the Barossa and west of the main highway to Barossa as you go North. Gradually being overtaken by housing. Used to be the home base of Primo Estate before they opened the new edifice in McLaren Vale.

Ah, you picked up on the tongue in cheek then ;) I suppose Sydney hasn't done much better. Look at Rooty Hill :roll:

As for Perth, I wonder how the Swan Valley will last...

cheers

Carl

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

How about the Binder Shiraz? The best entry level Barossa shiraz I've seen (although the Teusner Riebke is close, but different - less oak)
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

you got to love the 'recession'. i havent had to 'lower myself' to drinking cheap aussie shiraz for months and months...all the yummy cheap 07 Hawkes Bay reds about!!
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Chad

Post by Chad »

Mike Press Adelaide Hills Shiraz- any vintage because this wine continues to punch well above it's $10-12/bottle price tag.
Wirra Wirra Church Block- always a good honest shiraz for under $20/bottle
Yalumba Y-Series SV- fantastic when you can puck it up for $9/bottle
Yering Station SV- when it's under $20/bottle I always buy this wine and never get dissapointed
Seppelt Chalambar Bendigo Grampians Shiraz- does need some time in the cellar but is sometimes on special for under $20/bottle. Great value. Had a 1992 a few months ago with a mate & I could have sworn it was only a couple of years old.
Mount Langi Ghiran Billi Billi Shiraz- Aussie shiraz doesn't come much better for sub $15/bottle
Hardy's Oomoo Shiraz- Again sub $15/bottle bargain
Teusner Riebke- Year in year out an absolute cracker wine for less than $20

Chad

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Chad wrote:Mike Press Adelaide Hills Shiraz- any vintage because this wine continues to punch well above it's $10-12/bottle price tag.
Wirra Wirra Church Block- always a good honest shiraz for under $20/bottle
Yalumba Y-Series SV- fantastic when you can puck it up for $9/bottle
Yering Station SV- when it's under $20/bottle I always buy this wine and never get dissapointed
Seppelt Chalambar Bendigo Grampians Shiraz- does need some time in the cellar but is sometimes on special for under $20/bottle. Great value. Had a 1992 a few months ago with a mate & I could have sworn it was only a couple of years old.
Mount Langi Ghiran Billi Billi Shiraz- Aussie shiraz doesn't come much better for sub $15/bottle
Hardy's Oomoo Shiraz- Again sub $15/bottle bargain
Teusner Riebke- Year in year out an absolute cracker wine for less than $20

Chad

Thanks Chad

Some good suggestions there but I was looking specifically for Barossa reds as it's an area that I've neglected for some time (Charlie Melton notwithstanding)
The Dog of Wine

daz

Post by daz »

Enjoyed a 08 Langmeil Valley Floor last week, and found it beautifully balanced - superb dark colour too.

Longhop is from Tim Freeland's and Domenic Torzi's Old Plains range that has been made from fruit sourced from the Adelaide Plains though the current 2008
vintage is labelled Mt Lofty Ranges. Bought a bottle of Valley Floor for a workmate's 40th recently, not sure now which vintage - he's a big fan of the Freedom but hey, $100 wines I rarely buy even for myself - but suspect it may have been a 2007.

Cheers

daz