Auckland Offline - Esk Valley Terraces Vertical - 11 April

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Craig(NZ)

Auckland Offline - Esk Valley Terraces Vertical - 11 April

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Kiwi Colleagues

We all remember what a sensational tasting the stonyridge larose vertical was last year. I am sure many of the folk on the west island would have loved to attend such a event as well. What did we learn? We learnt a few things but the key one for me was pull out all the stops and do it properly. Also a vertical of a great label just seems so pure and an educational event for the enthusiast above any other format.

I would love to do the same format event this year for Esk Valley Terraces. Another cult/classic wine of exceptional quality and proven cellar power.

I already have interest from probably another 2 people taking us to 4 vintages before we even start

Terraces vintages were:

A few bottles were also made in 1999 from memory but all sold completely ex charity auction so it never made the market

Propose we look at April as a month to run this and again spread it over an afternoon with perhaps the option to move on to a meal after for those so inclined. Entry strictly by unique Terraces vintage. I would say that at least the 02,04 and 06 would be easily found in retail still. I personally have the 95 and 98 for would put my hand up to supply those.

Expressions of interest invited
Last edited by Craig(NZ) on Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

SueNZ

Re: Auckland Offline - Esk Valley Terraces Vertical

Post by SueNZ »

I have a 1992, i think, and perhaps a 91. Would have to check. Wine is off site.

Our database is not always correct as sometimes we forget to update when we hve consumed a wine (as in the Esk Res 1998), so would have to decide whether just one of Neil and I would attend if I find we only have one bottle as I would want to taste the bottle Neil paid for and he would want to taste it too and not really in a situation to pay $130 on a bottle of wine right now (that is the price for the 2006 on the Esk Valley website).

I am not available Easter weekend nor the following weekend, nor Sunday 18th nor Sunday 25th April.

Apart from that, all sounds good.

Cheers,
Sue

PS I am surprised they didn't make one in 2007, such an incredible vintage.

jafa

Post by jafa »

I'd be a starter. Have 98 00 02 and 04.
(Have some earlier vintages, but for purely selfish reasons :oops: , would like to hold them)
cheers jafa

Bick

Post by Bick »

I would definately be keen. I have none in the cellar however, so I'd have to source a good bottle commecially, which may limit what I can bring to something fairly recent. Let me know a little nearer the time which vintage you'ld like me to bring from 02 onwards. We should try to have all the vintages, I think.

(I vote we don't invite anyone from Esk Valley though)
Cheers,
Mike

Bick

Post by Bick »

SueNZ wrote:PS I am surprised they didn't make one in 2007, such an incredible vintage.

No - very strange. Nor 05, also a very good vintage. Makes you wonder what the hell is going on. Does the vineyard have a wierd microclimate that is different to the rest of the Bay?
Cheers,
Mike

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

No - very strange. Nor 05, also a very good vintage. Makes you wonder what the hell is going on. Does the vineyard have a wierd microclimate that is different to the rest of the Bay?

Like 95, 05 was a vintage that produced some great wines (notably coleraine) but on paper wasn't so flash. I remember Bruce ex Unison discussing with me how poor much of the vintage was with rain etc at all the wrong times. However some good wines eventuated!

07 who knows! good question!??

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

I would definately be keen. I have none in the cellar however, so I'd have to source a good bottle commecially, which may limit what I can bring to something fairly recent. Let me know a little nearer the time which vintage you'ld like me to bring from 02 onwards. We should try to have all the vintages, I think.

cool. id say 06,02 and 04 would be easy enough to source. i also know where you can get 98's still and im sure an 00 must exist somewhere as well

It will be the older vintages that are more difficult to get hold of. nice to get em all but wouldnt spend a fortune on 92 or 94. they wont be flash. The 94 is green

ok so we have possibles

Craig x4
Jafa x1
Bick x1
Sue x1

Thats seven vintages if it all flies. Only 9 vintages made so if all those possibles confirm we are nearly full already :mrgreen:

Earth to Curt, come in Curt??

Curt

Post by Curt »

Hi Craig, I am watching ... have a "green" :( 94 that I could contribute

Peter NZ

Post by Peter NZ »

I'm a possibility, depending when it is -- 11 April would work, as I'm (somewhat reluctantly) in Akld for Carol King / James Taylor on the 10th, but I think Sue's saying that doesn't work for her.

Only have the '06 but happy to look out for another vintage.

(Off to the public tasting session of Pinot 2010 this afternoon ... )

Cheers
Peter

jafa

Post by jafa »

Peter NZ wrote:I'm a possibility, depending when it is -- 11 April would work, as I'm (somewhat reluctantly) in Akld for Carol King / James Taylor on the 10th, but I think Sue's saying that doesn't work for her. Peter

A quick check of the calendar suggests that the weekend of 10-11Apr is the only available one for Sue.
Maybe we should pencil that in now........

Peter NZ wrote:(Off to the public tasting session of Pinot 2010 this afternoon ... )
Cheers Peter

Lucky, Lucky. 8) 8) (were's a green jealousy smilie?)

Curt wrote:Hi Craig, I am watching ... have a "green" :( 94 that I could contribute

I have one bottle of the 94 left. Young; tannic as all hell. Last taste about 18months ago; not good.
(Which is why I didn't offer it up for offline). But Curt, if it completes the vertical...... :D ............

cheers jafa

jafa

Post by jafa »

jafa wrote:
Peter NZ wrote:I'm a possibility, depending when it is -- 11 April would work, as I'm (somewhat reluctantly) in Akld for Carol King / James Taylor on the 10th, but I think Sue's saying that doesn't work for her. Peter

A quick check of the calendar suggests that the weekend of 10-11Apr is the only available one for Sue.
Maybe we should pencil that in now........ jafa

:shock: Zut alors. Re-reading Sue's post I now realise I've bombed this. :oops: :oops: I'm going into a corner. :?

jafa

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Hi Craig, I am watching ... have a "green" 94 that I could contribute

Its been a decade since i tried it, what would I know anyway honestly!! Of course 94 is an entry ticket!!! the more vintages the better!! :mrgreen:

The only day out for me is sat 17th as that is Mel's netball grading day and id prefer not 24th as thats the kids grading day (but we could get round that if we needed to by palming kids off on someone)

So help me out here. I am confused. Are we saying we pencil in Sunday April 11th as a good option?? or Saturday april 24th?? Lets have a show of hands. Prefer/ Can Attend/ Can't Attend. Also vintages available listed or Can Buy in option (quick look at wine searcher suggests any vintage from 98 on inclusive should be available retail)

We never gonna suit everyone re date, will just try to set a date to please majority. Will keep away from easter though. I will also fire these dates to my father in law and his lady friend to see if they both suit them

ps Bloody hell sue how can you be booked out nearly every weekend day this far in advance??? I hardly know what i'm having for breakfast tomorrow morning!! :shock: :mrgreen:

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

Craig(NZ) wrote:ps Bloody hell sue how can you be booked out nearly every weekend day this far in advance??? I hardly know what i'm having for breakfast tomorrow morning!! :shock: :mrgreen:

Easter, Anzac Day and car club things. BTW, am available on Sat 17th April and Sat 24 April, not Sunday 18th April and would prefer not to do it on Anzac Day, Sunday 25th.
Would be good to do it when Peter is in town.
I still have to work out if we have the wines available anyway, so if anyone else wants to offer up older vintages, speak now.

Bick

Post by Bick »

There doesn't appear to be a weekend day in April that suits both Sue and Craig, even before we check anyone elses calender! How about considering a different month? Are we locked into April - what about March or May?

We have following vintages potentially sourced:
1991 - eek - if Sue doesn't have this, this may be the tough one to get??
1992 - Sue ? (will check)
1994 - Curt
1995 - Craig
1998 - Craig
2000 - jafa ?
2002 - CFIL ?
2004 - CFILLF ?
2006 - Bick (buy in; either this vintage or 02, 04, depending on CFIL, CFILLF and what they can source - I'm flexible)

Key: :wink: FIL = Craig's father in law; FILLF = Craig's father in law's lady friend
Cheers,
Mike

Curt

Post by Curt »

24th works for me

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

Bick wrote:There doesn't appear to be a weekend day in April that suits both Sue and Craig,

Yes there is - Sunday 11th, it seems. I said I wasn't available that weekend but could make it at a pinch if nothing else works, especially as Peter is back in town.
Cheers,
Sue

Curt

Post by Curt »

11th is also OK with me

Bick

Post by Bick »

me too
Cheers,
Mike

jafa

Post by jafa »

11th is good for me.
Definitely no 91 or 92 available as backup. Oldest vintage 94.
Happy to bring an extra bottle in the 98-04 range to complete the vertical, ITH.
cheers jafa.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

i can do 24th or 11th. just 24th will take a bit more organising but thats ok

i got feedback from cliff and fiona yesterday. they can make 24th. will find out if 11th is a total no go for them tomorrow as i am proably seeing them

I would say 02 and 04 should be ok for FIL to bring. will check. they should have at least one of those vintages and he is happy to buy a vintage. both 02 and 04 are available retail

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

fiona may have a 91 also so will find out.

Peter NZ

Post by Peter NZ »

Can confirm 11th works for me, but only with +1.

There's a '95 (supposedly stored under climate control) in this weekend's Fitzgerald's auction, which I'm happy to pick up so long as price doesn't get silly ...

Cheers
Peter

(Will post a few impressions on Pinot 2010 tasting tomorrow.)

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Peter

Im sure +1 would be fine. even if an additional vintage is not available the extra person could supply some food to go with the wine or buy in cash to split among contributors. A bottle per person consumption is excessive anyway and dividing a bottle by 10 people is more than enough for a good size sample of each.

we can see how it all pans out

fiona does not have a 91 but she may be able to get her hands on one through industry contacts
Last edited by Craig(NZ) on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Ok lets assume April 11th if Peter is a definite.

I got feedback from Cliff and Fiona yesterday. They can do 11th at a pinch. It was just logistics of sunday tasting and returning to hamilton for work on monday that made their preference a saturday. we may have to ensure the event starts early enough in the day for them to head back late sunday night in a legal state, or they also discussed just taking monday off work.

so 10 particpants:

Peter 1
Peter 2
Craig
Mel
Cliff
Fiona
Curt
Bick
Jafa
Sue

There are 9 vintages, perhaps only 8 of which are obtainable unless Fiona (or someone else) can find a 91. That would leave 1 or 2 who could buy in at say value a bottle (at $130 which seems and avg going rate for an avg vintage). At worst we will have 10 people sharing 8 bottles which i think is perfect - good sample sizes and we arent going to have tons of bottles with 1/4 bottle left at the end.

The buy in people could, depending on where we end up having it, arrange some food or simply split the cash among those who contribute bottles

1991 - Fiona possibly can get this (she is going to hit up GR) - anyone else any ideas how to source this??
1992 - Sue (lets hope her cellar records are accurate for this)
1994 - Curt
1995 - Craig
1998 - Mel
2000 - Jafa
2002 - Bick, Peter or Cliff
2004 - Bick, Peter or Cliff
2006 - Bick, Peter or Cliff

Buy in - Peter

All happy??

Peter NZ

Post by Peter NZ »

Craig(NZ) wrote:Ok lets assume April 11th if Peter is a definite.

I got feedback from Cliff and Fiona yesterday. They can do 11th at a pinch. It was just logistics of sunday tasting and returning to hamilton for work on monday that made their preference a saturday. we may have to ensure the event starts early enough in the day for them to head back late sunday night in a legal state, or they also discussed just taking monday off work.

so 10 particpants:

Peter 1
Peter 2
Craig
Mel
Cliff
Fiona
Curt
Bick
Jafa
Sue

There are 9 vintages, perhaps only 8 of which are obtainable unless Fiona (or someone else) can find a 91. That would leave 1 or 2 who could buy in at say value a bottle (at $130 which seems and avg going rate for an avg vintage). At worst we will have 10 people sharing 8 bottles which i think is perfect - good sample sizes and we arent going to have tons of bottles with 1/4 bottle left at the end.

The buy in people could, depending on where we end up having it, arrange some food or simply split the cash among those who contribute bottles

1991 - Fiona possibly can get this (she is going to hit up GR) - anyone else any ideas how to source this??
1992 - Sue (lets hope her cellar records are accurate for this)
1994 - Curt
1995 - Craig
1998 - Mel
2000 - Jafa
2002 - Bick, Peter or Cliff
2004 - Bick, Peter or Cliff
2006 - Bick, Peter or Cliff

Buy in - Peter

All happy??

Sounds good to me, & I'm a definite. Maryanne's on a 6:30pm flight back to Wgtn, so just need to organise around that.

I'm okay with either '04 or '06 (& with '02 if it's available somewhere at retail).

Cheers
Peter

Curt

Post by Curt »

Any update ???

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

yip

about time we talked venue....floor is open for ideas for a couple of days, then an executive decision shall be made by moi who believes not in committees :mrgreen:

obviously the hurdle mark is la bocca in parnell. any other suggestion really needs to trump this

lets also confirm vintages, hopefully everyone has had time to work out what they actually have in the cellar and seperate truth from fantasy in this regard!

Bick

Post by Bick »

Just confirming I'm in - but you'll need to tell me which (02/04/06) vintage to source - unless you're happy for me to pick one and let you know which are left for Peter and Cliff?

Also - timing - this is for late morning, through early afternoon, running up to a (late?) lunch (as per SRL tasting)?
Cheers,
Mike

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

bick

timing as you stated. start late morning. tired getting hold of cliff on sunday night but wasnt home. will try again tonight

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

cliff is attending. he has put himself down for 06
fiona is unlikely so 91 not looking hopeful from anywhere still