2009 Wines of the Year

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
seddo

Re: 2009 Wines of the Year

Post by seddo »

For me the best red - Nick O'Leary Shiraz 08

cheers
Seddo

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Off the top of my head:

Best Aromatic White - 1999 Mitchell Riesling, Clare Valley

Best Other White - 2008 De Bortoli Estate Label Chardonnay, Yarra Valley

Best Rose - 2009 Turkey Flat, Barossa Valley

Best Shiraz - 2006 Sons of Eden "Zephyrus" SV, Barossa Valley

Best Cabernet - 1993 Yalumba "The Menzies", Coonawarra (had on the last day of the year!)

Best Blend - 2005 Kabminye "Sliebs Block", Barossa Valley

Bst Fortifed - 1969 Kaiser Stuhl, Barossa Valley (mainly for sentimental reasons I think)

Best Sparkling Red - 2008 Disgorge Rockford Sparkling Black Barossa Valley

Happy days!

Michael

PS I have just realised I have put down almost all SA and almost all Barossa. If I went looking for balance I reckon it wold lose its credability. :D This was off the top of my head remember!
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

rooman

Post by rooman »

michel wrote:[quote="Wizz" ] Best Sweet: 2006 Schloss Lieser Niederberger Helden LGK. 2006 Donnhoff Oberhauser Neidersheimer Hermannsholle was a close second. I'm jealous of Redwine's Egon Muller LGK - that would have been fricken awesome.

If I had to pick just one: The Schloss Lieser. This wine has impressed so many people in so many different settings.

Andrew[/quote]

I reckon we had the same bottle and I seriously rate Schloss Lieser and the winemaker is thoroughly decent guy as well
Best Sweet: 2006 Schloss Lieser Niederberger Helden LGK.
[/quote]

Michel

Like you and Andrew, I have developed a passion for Schloss Lieser over the last year or so and was talking to Shifty, aka The Lurker FKAN, about the spatlese earlier today. Apparently he has tentatively the winemaker booked to come to Sydney for a dinner next month. At this stage it is looking like just Sydney and Melb. It should be a excellent dinner, especially if he locks in the restaurant he is after. I am fanscinated to try some of the older vintages at the dinner to see just how much they develop. If he gets it off the ground, hopefully the Brisbane brigade can make the journey to Sydney.

Mark

platinum

Post by platinum »

A 2005 Giaconda Chard (screw cap) I started with New Years Eve would have to have gone very close, Ive had a few from 05 and this was easily the best yet. Great Chard