Best Red Sparkler Under $30

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Michael McNally

Best Red Sparkler Under $30

Post by Michael McNally »

Been done plenty of times before, but apposite I think given the time of year.

In this price range I'm in favour of:
NV Yalumba 'D'
2004 Hardys Oomoo
NV Fox Creek Vixen
NV Peter Rumball SS
2005 Majella

Not so keen on:
NV Bleasdale (though it's been a couple of years)
NV Andrew Garrett (didn't like this at all)
the 2005 Seppelt Original didn't do much for me, though I am a fan of the label generally

Other:
The Balnaves is usually pretty good.
I'd like to try the Seppelt Silverband though it is a touch more than $30.

I have a Wild Duck Creek Estate Sparkling Duck No.5 and Rockford Sparkling Black 08 Disgorge for Xmas day itself this year. :D

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Rawshack

Re: Best Red Sparkler Under $30

Post by Rawshack »

Sparkling Red is like BDSM - either something you really are into, or cannot comprehend what people see in it :wink:
The Dog of Wine

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

We all have our kinks. :D
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

Rawshack wrote:Sparkling Red is like BDSM - either something you really are into, or cannot comprehend what people see in it :wink:

Thought you were going to say it's all about self-punishment and infliction of pain... which is a bit harsh ;).

You can always use the bacchaebabe's notes from the sydney tasting group. :D

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10571&p=83548&hilit=inner+west#p83488

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

odyssey wrote:
Rawshack wrote:Sparkling Red is like BDSM - either something you really are into, or cannot comprehend what people see in it :wink:

Thought you were going to say it's all about self-punishment and infliction of pain... which is a bit harsh ;).

You can always use the bacchaebabe's notes from the sydney tasting group. :D

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10571&p=83548&hilit=inner+west#p83488

I meant it's something you either really go for, or just don't get.

I really wanted to get into it, but not sure if I can. The wine that is, not BDSM.
The Dog of Wine

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

My money's on the Majella in this category. Great stuff.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

daz

Post by daz »

Not that I'm about to get into FRS, I've noted that Tahbilk offer an example of the style and am curious whether any here have tried it. I think Wild Duck cured me of any real interest in FRS in the early 70s, more latterly Seppelt Original and Yellowglen or some such.

Cheers

daz

Maroon&Blue

Post by Maroon&Blue »

Michael

I have recently enjoyed a few sparkling reds which I have tried, after the RED BIGOT's recommendation:

1. Grampians Estate 2006 Sparkling Shiraz $29 - very enjoyable

2. Sorby Adams Morticia S Shiraz $14-$15 - great value & the wifes fav!

3. Surprisingly good S Shiraz CLEANSKIN!!! from Nicks around $12.50 ( great value quaffer, this one )

4. & my fav, but out of the price bracket is the Ashton Hills 2001 S Shiraz & the 2002 recently released GREAT DROP! ( $40 )

Cheers

Ronaldo
Wine improves with age....the older I get, the better I like it!

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

I am a fan of Anderson from Rutherglen.
Their 99 Sparkling shiraz is fantastic, but has recently sold out.
Their current release, the 2000 is not as good. Will have to wait to try their 01.
I find them really complex for the price, which is around $28 from cellar door.

The other one I have stocked up on is 2004 Leasingham Magnus / Hardys Oomoo sparkling shiraz, which think are the same. Great value for money at around $18.
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

Tristram Shandy

Post by Tristram Shandy »

Michael McNally wrote:

In this price range I'm in favour of:
NV Yalumba 'D'

As far as I'm aware, the Yalumba D Black is a vintage sparkler, not NV. And if you can find it for under $30 these days I'd like to know about it. The best price I've seen is around $36. It's a favourite of mine - nice combination of cabernet and shiraz. Sort of like a sparkling Signature.

Cheers,

Tristram Shandy
US escapee now living in wine paradise

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

When I made a bit of a tour around the vineyards of Australia a nunber of years ago I was struck by a handful of sparkling reds. In my books the best of them were:

Seppelts Original
Garden Gully Sparkling Shiraz
Peter Lehmanns Black Queen
Morris Sparkling Shiraz Durif

Cheers..........Mahmoud.

DJ

Post by DJ »

Brucer wrote:2004 Leasingham Magnus / Hardys Oomoo sparkling shiraz, which think are the same.

I bought a case of the Magnus and recently a bottle of the Oomoo - looking forward to trying the Oomoo to see if in fact it is the same -as I was guessing.
David J

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake 1Ti 5:23

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Very interesting about the Magnus and Oomoo being the same wine. I'd be surprised if it was but I'll be very interested to see if someone tastes them side by side.

Anyway, had a bottle of the 04 Magnus on the weekend and was very pleasantly surprised. A nice mix of sweet and savoury and very approachable and completely delicious now. For the price, it's excellent value too. I shared a dozen with a friend but I'm thinking of getting another dozen for myself now.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

I have not tasted them side by side, but looking on the back of the bottle, the speel is exactly the same, as is the alcohol level. Bottled differently for 2 markets me thinks.
B

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Just did a quick check and they say they are made by different winemakers and acidity and alcohol look to be different. Both 04 and Clare Valley though.

http://www.leasingham-wines.com.au/rich ... Shiraz.pdf

www.cwines.com.au/public/download.jsp?id=5925 (for the Oomoo)

I guess a taste test will reveal more.
Cheers,
Kris

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

Hi Kris,

I just got the 2 bottles out of the cellar, and have them side by side. My last post was not entirely correct, for which I apologise, as I went from memory :shock:

I must be getting too old, or drinking too many reds! :oops:

The write ups are different, as much as Hardys goes on about Thomas, and Leasingham goes on about Magnus Badger.

But further down the labels, they are the same re fining , how to open etc. (This is where my comment came from)

The Oomoo label states 14% alcohol / 8.3 standard drinks, whereas the link says 13.2%

The Magnus label states 14% alcohol / 8.3 standard drinks, whereas the link you gave says 13.7%

I think on Xmas day I will open both together and report back.
But it does look like they are different, but both use Clare fruit from Constellation, hence the sameness on the palate to me.

I think I will go stick my head in a bucket of sand!

B

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Ha ha - no need for such drastic measuers! I'll still be very interested to see how they go side by side though. You still never know.
Cheers,
Kris

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Hard to be interested in anything from Constellation.

Got into "trouble" from a retailer in Edmonton earlier this year by suggesting to a friend to not buy an Eileen Hardy. I told her to buy the Rockford Basket Press instead. Reasonable good advice I woiuld have thought.

Cheers..................Mahmoud.

griff

Post by griff »

Tristram Shandy wrote:As far as I'm aware, the Yalumba D Black is a vintage sparkler, not NV. And if you can find it for under $30 these days I'd like to know about it. The best price I've seen is around $36. It's a favourite of mine - nice combination of cabernet and shiraz. Sort of like a sparkling Signature.

I think it actually is the same juice? Davo was mentioning it as he is a big fan of the 2002 from memory.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

richard

Post by richard »

I have tried the Balgownie Estate Black Label at a tasting recently it was an enjoyable wine
with a good expression of a bendigo shiraz with out any sweetness, which puts me off many
sparkling reds.

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

Michael McNally wrote:I have a Wild Duck Creek Estate Sparkling Duck No.5 and Rockford Sparkling Black 08 Disgorge for Xmas day itself this year. :D

Cheers

Michael

My xmas red fizz is a Rockford Black 2009 and a Joseph.
Unfortunately neither is under $30.

Graham
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

Eddy B

Post by Eddy B »

At a recent blind winetasting of 6 sparkling shiraz, the 8 or so tasters ranked the wines:

1. Knappstein NV ($18.00)
2. Sir James (clean skin, $12.50)
3. Schild Estate 2006 ($23.00)
4. Ashton Hills 2002 ($35.00)

The other two tasted were Mitchell Peppertree NV and Paringa NV, and not worth it (IMHO).

The Knappstein is a personal favourite, and I did rank the Ashton Hills 2nd, but the clean skin is also a good sparkling.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Bleasdale sparkling is pretty good
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

smithy

Post by smithy »

:D
Sparkling red. What you drink when there is no water and some bastard has just guzzled the remainding sheep dip!
home of the mega-red

Davo

Post by Davo »

griff wrote:
Tristram Shandy wrote:As far as I'm aware, the Yalumba D Black is a vintage sparkler, not NV. And if you can find it for under $30 these days I'd like to know about it. The best price I've seen is around $36. It's a favourite of mine - nice combination of cabernet and shiraz. Sort of like a sparkling Signature.

I think it actually is the same juice? Davo was mentioning it as he is a big fan of the 2002 from memory.

cheers

Carl

Yep the 2002 is possibly the best sparkling red I have tasted in ages, from memory fruit sourced from the same vineyards as the Signature, oak matured and then 5 years on the lees, and was available around the traps for $29 a bottle. You just need to search and have some luck. The quality really shines through with the fine bead and the lovely creamy mouthfeel. Worth every cent, and would be at twice the price.

chillwrx

Post by chillwrx »

Davo wrote:
griff wrote:

cheers

Carl

Yep the 2002 is possibly the best sparkling red I have tasted in ages, from memory fruit sourced from the same vineyards as the Signature, oak matured and then 5 years on the lees, and was available around the traps for $29 a bottle. You just need to search and have some luck. The quality really shines through with the fine bead and the lovely creamy mouthfeel. Worth every cent, and would be at twice the price.

Agree completely but have not seen any for a couple of years in QLD. the last I had was a half dozen of the 1999. Good stuff.

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

The 06 Seppelt original sparkling shiraz is out now. Had a bottle on NYE, and thought it was a bit ordinary.

Eurocentric

Post by Eurocentric »

Best one I have tried in a while is the Coates 06 from South Australia. Have enjoyed the Majella in the past too, but I liked the Coates so much I bought a dozen, and I hardly buy anything any more.
NB: I import wine from 100 boutique producers in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, NZ and SA. You may think my opinions are biased ;-) As opinions are :-)

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Brucer wrote:Hi Kris,

I just got the 2 bottles out of the cellar, and have them side by side. My last post was not entirely correct, for which I apologise, as I went from memory :shock:

I must be getting too old, or drinking too many reds! :oops:

The write ups are different, as much as Hardys goes on about Thomas, and Leasingham goes on about Magnus Badger.

But further down the labels, they are the same re fining , how to open etc. (This is where my comment came from)

The Oomoo label states 14% alcohol / 8.3 standard drinks, whereas the link says 13.2%

The Magnus label states 14% alcohol / 8.3 standard drinks, whereas the link you gave says 13.7%

I think on Xmas day I will open both together and report back.
But it does look like they are different, but both use Clare fruit from Constellation, hence the sameness on the palate to me.

I think I will go stick my head in a bucket of sand!

B

Bruce,

did you undertake this experiment at all?

I can't find any more Magnus anywhere so I'm now quite keen to know how similar they are.
Cheers,
Kris

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

Kris,
I have drunk a couple of bottles of both, but I did not open the two together, I actually forgot to do it :oops:
I still have a good few Magnus, and will buy some more Oomoo, so I just need to get a few people round to drink them.
The QPR ratio for both is very good.
cheers
B