best Sparkler =< $30?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Rawshack

best Sparkler =< $30?

Post by Rawshack »

So, I'm organising the wines for Xmas day, and due to numbers and budget, the sparkling wine will have to be kept to under $30 a bottle.... Will be served as an aperitif prior to the main meal

So far I'm looking at the Brown Brothers PM, PN, Chard NV, the Jansz NV,and the Stefano Lubiana NV (if I can source it for the right money)

I may also look at some good Prosecco if anyone can suggest some gooduns

Thanks in advance
The Dog of Wine

odyssey

Re: best Sparkler =< $30?

Post by odyssey »

Rawshack wrote:I may also look at some good Prosecco if anyone can suggest some gooduns

The Rizzardi is decent if you specifically want Prosecco, a drier style. Ultimo sells it if you're in Sydney, see if you can talk them down to a sale price as its often on sale. (apologies to Gavin, as you don't appear to sell any Prosecco I hope its OK mentioning another retailer. Hope thats not a problem.)

For the same $30 though our family would probably cheerfully quaff 3 Lindemans Reserves. :) :D

Cheers

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

I'm a big fan of the Dopff Cremant d'Alsace personally. Great value and it's French! In DM for about $15. Well worth trying IMVHO.

Jansz and Bay Of Fires always good value too.

Cheers
TiggerK

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

I've been loving the NV Jansz. Excellent and if it's a hot day, it will be just perfect. Very crisp and acidic and green apple flavour spectrum, which I like.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Brown Brothers NV

or

Jansz NV

for me

or Presecco if you are that way inclined!

regards

Gavin Trott

ChrisV

Post by ChrisV »

daz

Post by daz »

I'd back the Janz NV, having tried it in the past. The BoF Trigress would be one I'd seriously consider as well, given the reputation of the Arras.

Gave a bottle of Arras 99 to a friend (who quaffs Moet NV) for her 50th b'day - didn't get to try it but she reported back that she really enjoyed it. She used to drink a fair bit of Taltarni Brut, I thought it OK but not notable.

Another one that's come to notice but I've not tried is De Bortoli Blanc de Blanc NV. I've had Yarra Burn before and found it enjoyable.

It's interesting to note how many good Aussie champagnoise-style wines use fruit from Tassie.

Cheers

daz

ChrisV

Post by ChrisV »

It's interesting to note how many good Aussie champagnoise-style wines use fruit from Tassie.

Yeah this, I would back any Tassie sparkler over any sparkler from elsewhere in Oz.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Brown Brothers NV for me.

When I'm in the mood the De Bortoli Rococo Blanc de Blancs is good for around $17-$20

The Lubiana woulod probably outgun the BB, but finding under $30 might be tough.

Pelorus NV is nice too. Not sure of price these days, sorry.
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

jeremy wrote:Pelorus NV is nice too. Not sure of price these days, sorry.

We don't drink a huge amount of bubbles at our place but the (Cloudy Bay) Pelorus would definitely be the house fizz. Can definitely be had for under $30 even by the bottle, presumably much better by case.
3, 65, 7, 50

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

daz wrote: The BoF Trigress would be one I'd seriously consider as well, given the reputation of the Arras.

Agree with the Jansz definitely. Don't rate the tigress though. like comparing oranges with rocks.

also like the Bird in hand which has a pink tinge (and is the wimbledon sparkler)

Clover hill is brilliant too but perhaps a tiny bit more than the $30 limit. worth it though.

redstuff

Post by redstuff »

Cave de lugny cremant de bourgogne. Usually around $20. great value for money french sparkling.

Also
Veuve Amiot, Demi Sec and Brut at $12-13, Great value again.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

G'day Rawshack

I am assuming this Xmas day will be in Australia, so shouldn't the sparkling be red? :D

Cheers

Michael

I'll start a sparkling red thread so this one doesn't get de-railed.
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Boyeah

Post by Boyeah »

I know is slightly >$30 actually is $32.90 but for the samll price over its the best sparkler in that price range.
Piper Heidsieck NV.
Cheers
Boyeah
Everyday is a bonus! Drink the best wine you can afford.

Bill

Post by Bill »

Boyeah wrote:I know is slightly >$30 actually is $32.90 but for the samll price over its the best sparkler in that price range.
Piper Heidsieck NV.
Cheers
Boyeah

I recently got Lanson NV for $33. Keep an eye out for the Christmas Champagne specials that usually come up.

Boyeah

Post by Boyeah »

Recently bought a dozen of Lanson NV 200ml for ten bucks each.
Cheers
Boyeah
Everyday is a bonus! Drink the best wine you can afford.

ant

Post by ant »

What about Ninth Island - $20 - $25. Great value imo.

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Well, I sampled the Brown Brothers over the weekend and was genuinely surprised and impressed with the quality at the price point. I've perhaps been guilty of being a little dismissive of BB at times, though this has changed my mind somewhat.

I thought it was delicious; will give the Jansz a go next.
The Dog of Wine

Barney

Post by Barney »

Rawshack,

If have to stay under 30 agree on the Janz NV, the Chandon and Yarra Burn NV's are also okay.

If you can stretch definately would go for the Clover Hill at around $33.00 for me is a better option than the Piper for around the same price (if you take up the chains 3 for $100.00 offer which have recently been advertised)...or at least start with a Clover before moving onto some of the others.

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Barney wrote:Rawshack,

If have to stay under 30 agree on the Janz NV, the Chandon and Yarra Burn NV's are also okay.

If you can stretch definately would go for the Clover Hill at around $33.00 for me is a better option than the Piper for around the same price (if you take up the chains 3 for $100.00 offer which have recently been advertised)...or at least start with a Clover before moving onto some of the others.

Barney, the 03 Clover Hill was a stand out for me, but I didn't enjoy the 04 as much...

I'll give the Jansz a go, but I did think that the BB was delicious for the price
The Dog of Wine

Barney

Post by Barney »

Rawshack wrote:
Barney wrote:Rawshack,

Barney, the 03 Clover Hill was a stand out for me, but I didn't enjoy the 04 as much...

I'll give the Jansz a go, but I did think that the BB was delicious for the price

Cant really comment on the BB..tried at the CD earlier this year but have no clear recollection, the Janz has always been a safe bet for me although have'nt tried for a while.

Had a bottle of the '05 Clover recently amongst a bunch of other things and thought well enough of it to buy a few for the cellar, might be a good night for one tonight if it stays at 39 degrees...

pizzler

Post by pizzler »

I've enjoyed the Yering Station, Yarrabank Cuvee in several vintages. Dry, well balanced, and refreshing fruit...excellent QPR. It looks like the 04 is available there for just under $30.

guzzlevin

Post by guzzlevin »

Cremant de Bourgogne clotide Davenne $26
Today only at online store called Winetraveller.I got one of the few remaining dozens.

sparky

Post by sparky »

DISCLAIMER: Shameless plug for own product. :D

Maison de Grand Esprit Les Petites Vignettes Pinot Noir Chardonnay Burgundy would be my pick. It has a pretty label too, which will co-ordinate very nicely with the traditional festive colors..

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

I am suprised there is no mention of Croser vintage or NV, but i am not a fan.

For me apart from the new garish etched label on the bottle (sorry Sparky) I really enjoy Sepps Salinger, often sub $20.

i agree Piper at $33 is probably the best buy.

phillisc
Tomorrow will be a good day

marsalla

Post by marsalla »

Aldi Champagne is pretty smart for under $30, well worth a go