Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon Combos

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
pizzler

Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon Combos

Post by pizzler »

What are some favorites of yours that are a combination of Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes? The concept makes sense...marrying the fruit with the structure. I've had a couple that were good, but didn't wow me like I hoped, including the Glaetzer Anaperenna/Godolphin wines.

Rawshack

Re: Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon Combos

Post by Rawshack »

Never really been a staple of my (meagre) cellar either

The 389 however one of the few examples of the blend (and Penfolds) that I'll go with. I'd also suggest that the Malleea (and the budget Musician) by Majella are excellent as well

I'm sure some of our esteemed peers on this board will soon produce a list as long as my arm. Which, actually, is rather long.
The Dog of Wine

monghead

Post by monghead »

Hmmm,

Other than the 389, Mallea and Godolphin that readily come to mind for me in my cellar are the Yalumba Signature and Jacob's Creek Limited Release.

I'm sure however, there will be many, many more that my slightly inebriated mind have omitted.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Post by 707 »

A blend close to my heart, I just wish more were made as I feel the two grapes compliment each other very well.

I did a Cab Shiraz/Shiraz Cab tasting earlier this year at Blacktongues, those that showed well there and subsequent private tastings are
2005 Soul Growers (Barossa $24)
2007 Flaxman The Stranger (Eden $35)
2004 Yalumba Signature (Barossa/Coona? $45)
2006 Coates Consonace (McV $20)
2007 Black Dog (McV $10)
2006 Penfolds Bin 389 (who knows where from! $50)
2004 Kaesler WOMS (Barossa $45)
2006 Anaperenna (Barossa $45)

Enjoy trying these and search out some others, a great blend
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

griff

Post by griff »

707 wrote:A blend close to my heart, I just wish more were made as I feel the two grapes compliment each other very well.

I did a Cab Shiraz/Shiraz Cab tasting earlier this year at Blacktongues, those that showed well there and subsequent private tastings are
2005 Soul Growers (Barossa $24)
2007 Flaxman The Stranger (Eden $35)
2004 Yalumba Signature (Barossa/Coona? $45)
2006 Coates Consonace (McV $20)
2007 Black Dog (McV $10)
2006 Penfolds Bin 389 (who knows where from! $50)
2004 Kaesler WOMS (Barossa $45)
2006 Anaperenna (Barossa $45)

Enjoy trying these and search out some others, a great blend

Any chance for some notes on this tasting? A blend that I get warm and fuzzy about as well! :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Davo

Post by Davo »

Rockford "Rod and Spur"
JJ Hahn "Reginald"

RogerPike

Post by RogerPike »

McWilliams 1877

Aaron Lovett

Post by Aaron Lovett »

Most vintages of Grange :wink:

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

2007 Flaxman The Stranger Shiraz Cabernet$35

2006 Karra Yerta Shiraz Cabernet $25

2007 Yalumba The Scribbler Cabernet Shiraz $20 (didn't like the 2008)
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

daz

Post by daz »

Brothers in Arms No. 6 Langhorne Creek Shiraz Cabernet 2004
A big, powerful, robust wine; masses of black and red fruits and bitter chocolate, with firm, almost gritty tannins; considerable length and persistence. Screwcap.
14.8% alc. Rating 90 Drink 2024 Release Price $20 Date Tasted Mar 07 (Thank you Mr Halliday)

My comments: A seriously gutsy example of this blend that needs at least another 5 years for the fruit to fully integrate the oak and for the tannins to soften. Not a woos version of the blend by any stretch. I bought two bottles to try it, then two more for at least one much later. Very much a regional wine from the home of Wolf Blass without the oomp-pa-pa but plenty of oomph.

Cheers

daz

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Many of the Penfolds Special Bins (80a, 90a, 60a etc) and the 2005 Penfolds Cellar Reserve Cab Shiraz are absolutely world class wines.

Great vintages of Yalumba Signature and Penfolds Bin 389 with 15+ years on them are superb as well.

Cheers

Mike

pizzler

Post by pizzler »

What a great bunch of ideas! This is why I like this forum so much. Many thanks!

Jeff

daz

Post by daz »

Tahbilk have a cab shiraz 1996 available. The cab is dominant, robust tannins, it's a bit rustic but has has some aged characters that add interest. It's $22.45 to club members so about $25 cellar door. Here's the winery;s sales pitch:

It is always exciting to preview new releases but when the new release is a compelling 12 year old red of this character the excitement levels increase proportionally!
Presenting dark berry and minty/capsicum characters, the Cabernet Sauvignon is very much at the forefront of this wine, stylish cigar-box oak and an earthy spiciness from the Shiraz complete a stylish package of much appeal!
This is a definite slow-food wine that will change and develop during the course of an evening spent lingering over a glass or two!

daz

griff

Post by griff »

Tried a very impressive one of the 2007 vintage from Frankland Estate this week. Very classy but a little pricy when compared to the Olmo's cabernet blend that was almost as good.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

trentwine

Post by trentwine »

Lake Breeze Bernoota is always good value and cellars well.

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

Mike Hawkins wrote:Great vintages of Yalumba Signature and Penfolds Bin 389 with 15+ years on them are superb as well.

We had a magnum of 1992 Signature with a bbq on Saturday night and I agree, it was superb. Interestingly the other magnum we had shortlisted to open was a 389. We might try one of those some time soon.
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Tapanappa shiraz cab is awesome Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Sharkey wrote:
Mike Hawkins wrote:Great vintages of Yalumba Signature and Penfolds Bin 389 with 15+ years on them are superb as well.

We had a magnum of 1992 Signature with a bbq on Saturday night and I agree, it was superb. Interestingly the other magnum we had shortlisted to open was a 389. We might try one of those some time soon.

Nice one ! I'm flying back to Oz for a few weeks and will be raiding the cellar. I'm hoping to have the 86, 90, 91 and 94 Bin 389 while I'm there.