Shiraz Riesling?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Julio G

Shiraz Riesling?

Post by Julio G »

I have just stumbled across a Shiraz Riesling blend whilst aimlessly surfing the net. I am struggling to think how that might work as a blend - has anyone tried one?

Craig(NZ)

Re: Shiraz Riesling?

Post by Craig(NZ) »

tried a sauvignon blanc riesling blend a few weeks ago. worked very well
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

griff

Post by griff »

I haven't tried it but Peter Lehmann used to experiment with that blend. Lehmann makes a Shiraz Muscadelle these days.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

fatdoi

Post by fatdoi »

I would think it'll be similar to shiraz/viognier style of wine... possibly we're talking about the non dry try type or riesling in the mix to lift the wine up....
Relax.... In the end it's only grape juice with a twist

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Red Edge in Heathcote used to make one. Hideous muck.

ChrisV

Post by ChrisV »

Wow I can't imagine that being at all good. Actually I'm finding it hard to think of a grape that would go worse with shiraz. Maybe shiraz/sav blanc? I would definitely prefer shiraz/chardonnay and shiraz/semillon...

daz

Post by daz »

Campbell posted a review today on The Wine Front of Dandelion shiraz riesling 07 from McLaren Vale.

daz

Mark G

Post by Mark G »

It's the phenolics in the white grapes (well their skins more specifically), that are sought - Viognier has these in spades when very ripe and this aids in colour extraction and a few other bits and pieces with Shiraz. The same goes with Riesling, and I know of a Margaret River winery that added some to their quite pricey Cab Sauv in a poorer year for colour and nose.

As most of these additions are well less than the 15% mark, most are never highlighted for obvious reasons. Why you'd want to promote a "SR" is a mystery ... to each their own.

Cheers

Mark G
"When a true genius appears ... the dunces are all in confederacy against him" - Ignatius Reilly

Daniel Jess

Post by Daniel Jess »

Intriguing. I've tried a few shiraz riesling blends before but haven't really been impressed. I put it down to winemaker's "experimenting" rather than spending time (over many years) perfecting the blend. This would explain why we don't see many (any?) on the market.

As has already been mentioned, it is the phenolics that is sought in such a blend from the white grape. There is no reason this blend can't work well - but as with any blend - I'm sure it would take considerable time to perfect.

I publicly dare any winemaker out there reading to prove that it can be done well! I'll be first in line to taste.
WineBox Co. - - conquer the world, one grape at a time - -

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

I don't believe it's uncommon for Chardonnay skins, and probably other grapes skins as well, to be put back in to a shiraz ferment. I don't know what it might add, or what it's effects might be, but I do know that it happens. Hell, winemakers know more than me about making wine...

I'd also hazard a guess, and say that there are more than a small number of red wines out there with portions of unusual or unexpected white grapes as part of their makeup, and just not mentioned anywhere on the bottle.

Wouldn't it typically be done to enhance aromatics ? How would/could it possibly affect texture ?
We might be able to generalise, and say that the addition of white grape skins to a red ferment adds "complexity", but it'd be interesting to know a little more detail..
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Daniel Jess

Post by Daniel Jess »

All correct and good questions Cuttlefish!

How the blending of white wine affects the texture of the blend depends heavily on: the grapes, the fermentation and the barrels (from my understanding). I don't understand in full the chemistry behind all the blends, but with Shiraz Viognier I understand that the texture (mouthfeel) increases or decreases depending partly on how well ripened the white grapes are... I thought that was pretty cool.

No matter how much you read - there's always something else... SIGH! :D
WineBox Co. - - conquer the world, one grape at a time - -