Shiraz on the Outer?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Chuck

Shiraz on the Outer?

Post by Chuck »

On the first decent hot day in Adelaide I curled up on the lounge reading the recent Gourmet Traveller Wine magazine. In the Top 100 New Releases the Aussie/NZ red section did not contain one straight shiraz with Cabernet and blends and Pinot Noir top of the pop and a couple of blends with shiraz in a supportive rather than dominant role. Its good to see Cabernet Merlot blends well represented with more now being made from quality grapes rather than just left overs of the straight varietals.

With the cut-off rating of 89 it would imply no shiraz was rated higher than this. The Aussie judge was Huon Hooke and the results may suggest his own preferences. Or were the tough '07 and '08 vintages hurting the shiraz's.

I like shiraz but love wines from Bordeaux grapes offering more interest and complexity. Give me a Coonawarra or MR cabernet or blend any day although I still do like a good cab/shiraz blend. I avoid drinking Pinots as good Pinots cost a lot and its one habit I can't afford.

Any comments?

Chuck
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

daz

Re: Shiraz on the Outer?

Post by daz »

Funny you should mention Coona blends, I just poured a glass of Majella Muso 07 - it has truckloads of regional character. With you on pinot but I do like good shiraz and blends as much as, if not more than, good cab and blends, so long as they're not over-oaked.

Cheers

daz

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

As for 2007 & 2008 Shiraz/Syrah being difficult?

2008 Jamsheed Silvan Syrah
2008 Jamsheed Gruyere Syrah
2007 Brokenwood Graveyard & Hunter Shiraz (and a dozen others from a great 2007 vintage in the Hunter)
2007 Picardy Shiraz
2007 Tar & Roses Shiraz
2007 Clonakilla Hilltops Shiraz
2008 Clonakilla Hilltops Shiraz
2007 La Curio Shiraz
2007 The Story Grampians Shiraz
2008 Best's Bin 1 Shiraz
2008 Teusner Riebke Shiraz
2007 Shaw + Smith Shiraz
2007 Yalumba The Scribbler Cabernet Shiraz

would make a decent case as to the possibilty of producing excellent Shiraz in many regions over the course of those 2 vintages. And that is just the ones I have tasted & that come to mind.

Not sure if any if these were submitted to GTwine for review in the last issue.
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

A_n_d_r_e_w

Post by A_n_d_r_e_w »

Personal preferences might explain a greater number of pinot and cabernet than shiraz, but if this list is as you say and it hasn't come up with one straight shiraz in a top 100 Aus/Nz new release wines, then it suggests some kind of w@nky anti-shiraz agenda.

Andrew

mf

Post by mf »

My impression was that the Gourmet Traveller "Top 100" did not necessarily represent the best 100 wines tasted for that two months but more just "Top" releases as defined by whatever Huon Hooke determines makes them "Top" (eg. absolute quality, value, varietial, he likes the label etc.). Also presumed he tries to mix it up a bit so has months where Shiraz gets focussed and months other wines get more of a focus (possibly determined by whatever he has been tasting - eg. if he had been to some organic wine tasting I would presume he may put a focus on a couple of those wines).

Anyway, given your comments I had a look at the break down of the last 4 issues and is as follows:

- Oct/Nov 09: Cab Sav 9, Cabernet Blend (normally Cab Merlot) 5, Pinot Noir 7, Montepulciano 1, Nebbiolo 1, Tempranillo 2, Cab Shiraz 1, Portugese Blend 1.
- Aug/Sep 09: Shiraz 6 (including 3 of top 7), Cabernet Sauvignon 13, Pinot Noir 16, Cab Merlot 2, Cab Sangiovese 1.
- Jun/Jul 09: Shiraz 16 (including 5 of top 8 ), Cab Sav 8, Mourvedre 1, Cabernet Blend 4, Durif 1, Shiraz Cab 1, Cab shiraz Merlot 1 (Pinot Noir 0).
- Apr/May 09: Pinot Noir 9, Grenache 1, GSM/SGM/SG/GS 9, Tempranillo 3, Sangiovese 2, Cabernet Sauvignon 1, Gamay 1, Touriga 1, Zinfandel 1, Nebbiolo 1, Nebbiolo Barbera 1, Cinsault 1, Grenache Cab Sav Shiraz Malbec Cab Franc 1 (Shiraz 0).

Therefore given all that I find it hard to draw any conclusions - seems this issue more may have reflected for some reason that he felt like concentrating on certain wines that are not Shiraz. Unlike in June/July when he did focus on Shiraz.

Even if Shiraz wasn't included because of quality would have thought it would not necessarily reflect anything on 2008 Shiraz as I would have thought only a small part of top Shiraz being tasted at the moment would be 2008 (would think future issues would be a more likely indicator on this) - guess it could apply to 2007 but then it would likely equal apply to 2006.

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

I've noticed this too in the AGT top 100 new release list - the last white wine list was dominated by riesling. Very pleasing to me, but a real surprise. I'd expect Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay to clean that up.

I don't see anything sinister in it, just variation in the samples people get, or choose to taste.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

mf wrote:My impression was that the Gourmet Traveller "Top 100" did not necessarily represent the best 100 wines tasted for that two months but more just "Top" releases as defined by whatever Huon Hooke determines makes them "Top" (eg. absolute quality, value, varietial, he likes the label etc.). Also presumed he tries to mix it up a bit so has months where Shiraz gets focussed and months other wines get more of a focus (possibly determined by whatever he has been tasting - eg. if he had been to some organic wine tasting I would presume he may put a focus on a couple of those wines).

Anyway, given your comments I had a look at the break down of the last 4 issues and is as follows:

- Oct/Nov 09: Cab Sav 9, Cabernet Blend (normally Cab Merlot) 5, Pinot Noir 7, Montepulciano 1, Nebbiolo 1, Tempranillo 2, Cab Shiraz 1, Portugese Blend 1.
- Aug/Sep 09: Shiraz 6 (including 3 of top 7), Cabernet Sauvignon 13, Pinot Noir 16, Cab Merlot 2, Cab Sangiovese 1.
- Jun/Jul 09: Shiraz 16 (including 5 of top 8 ), Cab Sav 8, Mourvedre 1, Cabernet Blend 4, Durif 1, Shiraz Cab 1, Cab shiraz Merlot 1 (Pinot Noir 0).
- Apr/May 09: Pinot Noir 9, Grenache 1, GSM/SGM/SG/GS 9, Tempranillo 3, Sangiovese 2, Cabernet Sauvignon 1, Gamay 1, Touriga 1, Zinfandel 1, Nebbiolo 1, Nebbiolo Barbera 1, Cinsault 1, Grenache Cab Sav Shiraz Malbec Cab Franc 1 (Shiraz 0).

Therefore given all that I find it hard to draw any conclusions - seems this issue more may have reflected for some reason that he felt like concentrating on certain wines that are not Shiraz. Unlike in June/July when he did focus on Shiraz.

Good point and well argued. Maybe shiraz is released more in winter when its in its element. Anyway its good to see Bordeaux grape varieties and Riesling coming thru. Just hope prices stay put.

Chuck
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work