How much does the Aussie lifestyle affect your palate ?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
markg

How much does the Aussie lifestyle affect your palate ?

Post by markg »

Does anyone forgo using Aeroguard or lighting Citronella candles in the interest of preserving your sense of smell and taste when tasting at outdoor functions ? If so, have you ever paid the price with Ross River fever, Malaria or just an annoying mossy itch that stayed with you for days.

Are there any nose/palate friendly anti-mossie techniques anyone has used with success?
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

Post by Guest »

Yes. Place two hands approx 20cm either side of the pest as it flies into your view. Bring hands together very quickly ensnaring and crushing the pest between them. Two known side-effects - a large report may startle other guests and you have to put your wine glass down. :wink:

BA

Post by BA »

Sorry, putting down a glass of wine is far too high a price to pay :)

BA

Post by Guest »

Move out of the swamp.
Stay indoors.
Drink beer. :lol:

Rob

Post by Rob »

individualised mossie net.

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Ultrasonic pest repeller maybe?

Colin Rule

Post by Colin Rule »

Never mind the citronella...what about the dangers of lipstick & perfume contamination? I have created a 5m exclusion zone around me when I am drinking with women (10m for anyone in high heels...female or male!)

simm

Post by simm »

I use mozzie zappers inside. Otherwise it's spraying the chairs and tables a half hour beforehand and spraying myself whilst breathing out very slowly so as not to let any of the Aeroguard molecules rest within the cavern. :roll: Glasses decanter and wine are kept within the airtight chamber at this important time. :) My problem is that after a few glasses I get the urge to smoke, and hence I always try and get any TN's in early.

best,
simm.

"I ain't drunk! I' still drinkin' !!"

markg

Post by markg »

simm wrote:I use mozzie zappers inside. Otherwise it's spraying the chairs and tables a half hour beforehand and spraying myself whilst breathing out very slowly so as not to let any of the Aeroguard molecules rest within the cavern. :roll: Glasses decanter and wine are kept within the airtight chamber at this important time. :) My problem is that after a few glasses I get the urge to smoke, and hence I always try and get any TN's in early.

best,

You smoke simm ?? Do you beleive it affects your palate and nose at all ? I know that after about a year of giving up smoking my tastes and sense of smell became much more sensitive and my tastes changed dramatically.
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

markg wrote:
simm wrote:I use mozzie zappers inside. Otherwise it's spraying the chairs and tables a half hour beforehand and spraying myself whilst breathing out very slowly so as not to let any of the Aeroguard molecules rest within the cavern. :roll: Glasses decanter and wine are kept within the airtight chamber at this important time. :) My problem is that after a few glasses I get the urge to smoke, and hence I always try and get any TN's in early.

best,

You smoke simm ?? Do you beleive it affects your palate and nose at all ? I know that after about a year of giving up smoking my tastes and sense of smell became much more sensitive and my tastes changed dramatically.

Agree on the palate and nose. I have been off the durries for 2 years 6 months 11 days and 13 hours. I tell myself I don't miss them but walking outside a shopping centre through the wafting smell of fine tobacco smoke is distracting (but nice).

Simm, great time to have a smoke with a drink (especially beer) but I'm not allowed to weaken or my wine budget could be seriously effected.

Graham
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

Dis4Durif

Post by Dis4Durif »

Really doesn't matter what you do! Those mozzies still want a drink of full bodied red. Frankly, I can't blame them! :wink:
And much as Wine has play'd the Infidel,
And robbed me of my Robe of Honour —Well,
I often wonder what the Vintners buy
One half so precious as the ware they sell.
(Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam)