Coonawarra shockers

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Attila

Coonawarra shockers

Post by Attila »

Two that really disappointed last night:

2007 WYNNS Black Label Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon

Probably one of the worst releases under this label.
Lovely and varietal Cabernet nose, quite inviting. Savoury medium bodied palate that is lacking generosity, power, character and charm. Very young, almost raw finish with fairly high acid feel. Need 5 years in the cellar but not in mine.

2007 PENLEY ESTATE Phoenix Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon.

This is the worst offender.
Alcohol is stated at 15% but feels like 17% on the palate.
Licorice, blackcurrant on the nose. Very dark, porty and seriously disjointed palate. Overripe and sweet but finishes astonishingly green. Really undrinkable.
Probably the worst red I came across this year.
"(Wine) information is only as valuable as its source" DB

n4sir

Re: Coonawarra shockers

Post by n4sir »

No offense taken, but keep in mind 2007 was a dud year because of the nasty frosts. Wait until you try the 2008s before you write off Coonawarra Adrian - they will account for almost all of the decent South Australian cabernet that vintage. The majority of the rest is shit because of the heatwave.

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

I wasn't that impressed by the 2007 Wynns Black Label, but I liked the 2006 Black Label & Alex 88. Interesting to read this as tomorrow night's tasting group line up is as follows-

Penley Phoenix 2007
Richmond Grove 2007
Wolf Blass Gold Label 2007
Bowen 2007
Leconfield 2007
Wynns Black Label 2007
Majella 2007
Balnaves The Blend 2007
Balnaves Cabernet 2007
Balnaves Cab Merlot 2007
Balnaves The Tally 2007

Katnook 2006
Lindemans Pyrus 2006
Lindemans Limestone Ridge 2006
Lindemans St George 2006
Wynns The Gables 2006
Wynns Alex 88 2006
Wynns John Riddoch 2006

I've little experince to draw on, but I'll post my impressions, for what they are worth, later this week. I'll try and jot down what other's thoughts were too.
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Attila wrote:
2007 PENLEY ESTATE Phoenix Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon.

This is the worst offender.
Alcohol is stated at 15% but feels like 17% on the palate.
Licorice, blackcurrant on the nose. Very dark, porty and seriously disjointed palate. Overripe and sweet but finishes astonishingly green. Really undrinkable.
Probably the worst red I came across this year.

Not 16 or 18 percent, but 17, give or take 1.5% of course? :)

Attila

Post by Attila »

jeremy wrote:I wasn't that impressed by the 2007 Wynns Black Label, but I liked the 2006 Black Label & Alex 88. Interesting to read this as tomorrow night's tasting group line up is as follows-

Penley Phoenix 2007
Richmond Grove 2007
Wolf Blass Gold Label 2007
Bowen 2007
Leconfield 2007
Wynns Black Label 2007
Majella 2007
Balnaves The Blend 2007
Balnaves Cabernet 2007
Balnaves Cab Merlot 2007
Balnaves The Tally 2007

Katnook 2006
Lindemans Pyrus 2006
Lindemans Limestone Ridge 2006
Lindemans St George 2006
Wynns The Gables 2006
Wynns Alex 88 2006
Wynns John Riddoch 2006

I've little experince to draw on, but I'll post my impressions, for what they are worth, later this week. I'll try and jot down what other's thoughts were too.

I'll look forward to your notes! I'd be very interested what 07's worth drinking!

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Well, as everyone already knows, 2007 was a tough vintage for Coonawarra. Tasted everything on the list last night except the Bowen Estate which was corked. All wines were double decanted at 4pm and served between 6.30pm & 8.30pm, in order of least expensive to most expensive. And I've never tasted wine in this manner. But here is a brief rundown anyway.

2007 Balnaves The Blend- way too much oak. Too dry. Others agreed. It wasn't considered a "bad" wine though

2007 Penley Phoenix Cabernet Sauvignon- Brandied finish. I didn't enjoy it much myself but some had time for it. Some in favour thought the ABV and porty-ness softened the dry fruit qualities of the vintage. Others thought it held its alcohol well.

2007 Richmond Grove Limited Release Cabernet Sauvignon- Dry and completely unappealing. Poorly received.

2007 Balnaves Cabernet Merlot- Merlot helps out a bit here. Still very prominent New Oak. A constant question as to whether the fruit would hold up against it over time. I don't know. Too new to aged wine. Most thought it over oaked. Poorly received.

2006 Brands Laira Cabernet Sauvignon- The first of the 06s tasted and it felt like a relief to me, although it still had a brandied finish. Others thought too much toasty oak, dried out finish etc.

2007 Wolf Blass Gold Label- Well, I was geared up to dislike this, so it's no suprise I did. But seriously, it's sugary sweet commercial rubbish. One or two liked it and were a bit taken back by what I said. Most agreed it was a commercial style lacking in interest. Pricing all wrong at $26. Everyone agreed on that.

2007 Leconfield Cabernet Sauvignon- I didn't mind this. Some attractive vegetal character without being in any way green. A few thought it was ok. Others really disliked it. Lots of oak (I was beginning to see a theme at this stage)

2007 Wynns Black Label- not good not bad, wouldn't buy it. More restrained certainly. Alcohol didn't stick out. Others had more time for it, especially in the context of the vintage.

2007 Majella Cabernet Sauvignon- Some DMS, which mostly blew off. Higher in Eucalypt. Having said that it was a stand out amongst the 2007s. Acidity helped a lot and the fruit seemed much fresher. Not swamped by oak and no alcohol intrusiveness picked up by anyone. Majella made a very small amount and selected their fruit carefully. It was suggested that that was why they had produced a good product in an awful year. Well received.

2007 Balnaves Cabernet Sauvignon- again heaps of oak in these Balnaves. Bissel likes his new oak. And it was suggested to me that more practical matters, such as how much new oak is ordered, can play their part. I wouldn't know. If it all gels it will be good. More savoury and the finish is long and impressive.

2006 Wynns Alex 88 Cabernet Sauvignon- I must say my palate was getting overwhelmed at this stage. I've tasted a bottle of this over two days recently and really enjoyed it. On the night it didn't seem as good, but that could be a context thing. One of the wines that most people enjoyed and many really liked & thought a very good wine for the price & for the cellar.

2006 Katnook Estate Cabernet Sauvignon- One of my favourite wines of the evening. Good acidity, well judged oak, more elegant. Well received.

2006 Wynns Gabels Cabernet Shiraz- sweet sour. Interesting. Some thought it lacked focus. Didn't draw much reaction.

2006 Lindemans Pyrus Cabernet Sauvignon Cabernet Franc Merlot- a touch of brett was the general consensus. And that's where the conversation hovered. Mid palate considered to be lacking by many.

2006 Lindemans Limestone Ridge Cabernet Shiraz- Came and went without anyone really noticing, including me.

2006 Wynns John Riddoch- the stand out wine and considered by most, if not all, to be the wine of the night. Regional, varietal, classy, balanced and long. I sat on a glass of this at the end of the night. Didn't take tasting notes. Just enjoyed it.

2007 Balnaves The Tally Cabernet Sauvignon- Heaps of new oak and the tannin attack almost began on entry. I liked the wine, but most found it hard going. Some thought it lacked subtelty. I'd love to have some in the cellar, although I preferred the 2006 that I tasted a while back.

Sorry about the lack of real tasting notes. As I said, this sort of tasting was very new to me, and many matters were disussed on the night. Foremost was the notion that certain styles didn't suit the vintage as much as others and that quality control and very selective use of grapes were required to combat the difficulties.

It was a great learning experience for me. All the wine was kindly donated by the wineries.

Anyways, I think I'm still picking splinters from my teeth this morning. :)

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Very interesting Jeremy, thanks for the notes. Looks like the 07 vintage is really going to be one to pick and choose from. Or maybe just avoid for SA. WA on the other hand...
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Attila

Post by Attila »

jeremy wrote:2007 Wolf Blass Gold Label- Well, I was geared up to dislike this, so it's no suprise I did. But seriously, it's sugary sweet commercial rubbish.

Haha...Haven't tried this but I'm sure you are right.
Great report, thanks!
Attila

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

bacchaebabe wrote:Very interesting Jeremy, thanks for the notes. Looks like the 07 vintage is really going to be one to pick and choose from. Or maybe just avoid for SA. WA on the other hand...

Thanks Kris. A tough year in Coonawarra but as you point out, there's always another place that had it better. As a consumer I feel spoilt.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Attila wrote:
jeremy wrote:2007 Wolf Blass Gold Label- Well, I was geared up to dislike this, so it's no suprise I did. But seriously, it's sugary sweet commercial rubbish.

Haha...Haven't tried this but I'm sure you are right.
Great report, thanks!
Attila

No worries Attila, many on this forum would have done a better job, but I was lucky enough to go I guess. Ah Wolf Blass, "he" didn't disappoint.

griff

Post by griff »

Thanks for the notes Jeremy. Generally similar to how I feel about 07. Plenty of other fish in the sea. Didn't think the 07 Leconfield terrible but only relative to the other 07's and I wasn't too impressed with the Majella but the sample I tried was small so I will hold my opinion there. I quite like the Alex 88 but can see how it wont impress in a cabernet line-up. More of a session wine :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Thanks Carl. I think I'll save my next "session""with the Alex 88 for a little while. I'm all Cabernet-ed out :)

I should also add that Tyson Stelzer was kind enough to host the tasting and put on a great dinner with his Wife afterwards. Fascinating to hear that his sporadic Monday night tasting group had its origins in a "Brisbane Offline" on this forum.

Chris Judd

Post by Chris Judd »

jeremy wrote:Thanks Carl. I think I'll save my next "session""with the Alex 88 for a little while. I'm all Cabernet-ed out :)

I should also add that Tyson Stelzer was kind enough to host the tasting and put on a great dinner with his Wife afterwards. Fascinating to hear that his sporadic Monday night tasting group had its origins in a "Brisbane Offline" on this forum.

Yup...., goes back a bit...
Would have attended but for a head cold, and that I'd seen most of these at the Coonawarra Road Show late August. The Majella stood out then as it does for you now. The other stand-out I recall was the then about-to-be-released Petaluma Coonawarra 2007, .... my WOTN and now rated 96 by GW yesterday. It's on my buy list!

Cheers, Chris

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Tasted the 2007 Petaluma Coonawarra at the Fine Wine Partners trade show. Excellent wine, agreed. Defied the vintage I guess. Look forward to catching you at the next Monday nighter Chris.

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Well there you go - you're Jeremy! Now guess which of the 13 people I was :-)

And is that Chris Judd I see dusting off the cobwebs and posting on a wine forum?

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Mate, the avatar gives it away. :)

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

:lol:

chal

Post by chal »

Attila wrote:Two that really disappointed last night:

2007 WYNNS Black Label Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon

Probably one of the worst releases under this label.

On of the worst $20 plus wines I have ever tasted.

The label has been trashed.

Never again; Wynns is dead.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

chal wrote:On of the worst $20 plus wines I have ever tasted.

G'day Chal

If you are smart it's a sub $20 wine. I thought the 2006 was pretty good (I bought 6) and the 04 wasn't too shabby either. Give it a couple of years before the "trashed label" thing.

My 2c

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

monghead

Post by monghead »

Michael McNally wrote:
chal wrote:On of the worst $20 plus wines I have ever tasted.

G'day Chal

If you are smart it's a sub $20 wine. I thought the 2006 was pretty good (I bought 6) and the 04 wasn't too shabby either. Give it a couple of years before the "trashed label" thing.

My 2c

Michael

Agree with Michael. Those are harsh words Chal. I am still hopeful the black label will bounce back...

Monghead.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

The John Riddoch was excellent. Proof enough for me that Wynns is far from dead.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Interesting really. Seems to be divisive.
http://www.winefront.com.au/double-take ... gnon-2007/ (it's a free post)
Both CM and I really liked it and RKP in the Age (who is good, I'd say) gives it wine of the week..and plenty of our subs like it.
I'm only expecting further critical acclaim really...very good BL from a tricky vintage.
GW

A_n_d_r_e_w

Post by A_n_d_r_e_w »

liked the 07 Wynns black label, but didn't love it. But the again that's not the point. Its undoubtedly a wine that will just get better with age, and in 10-15 years time will be beautiful.

Andrew

ACG

Post by ACG »

I thought it (Wynns 07 BL) wasn't too bad either, especially at the sub $20 release price.

The thing to bear in mind with Wynns Black Label Cabs is that they rarely impress greatly on release, but give them 5-8 and its a different story.

As Jeremy said, the Riddoch is a glorious wine, with 04,05 & 06 vgood long term propositions.

My 2c

Attila

Post by Attila »

Apparently 2008 was a fabulous Coonawarra vintage, an opportunity for many to bounce back. In the last 3 years there were all sorts of Coonawarra disappointments at the sub $30 level. It seems to me that the region needs to get itself together. Just looking at my cellar log, I've been buying from WA instead of Coonawarra lately when it comes to cabs.

Attila

Post by Attila »

Gary W wrote:Interesting really. Seems to be divisive.
http://www.winefront.com.au/double-take ... gnon-2007/ (it's a free post)
Both CM and I really liked it and RKP in the Age (who is good, I'd say) gives it wine of the week..and plenty of our subs like it.
I'm only expecting further critical acclaim really...very good BL from a tricky vintage.
GW

You do list the wine at $31.99 and give it 92 points. Others talking sub $20 prices.
I personally believe that at $32 is way overpriced and at 92 points you are being extremely generous.
My feeling was that realistically it should be $17.99 and 88 points max but I do not score (or buy) below 90 points.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Price has little to do with the rating. And 88 points on my scale is bronze medal or 'good' rating. Hardly a shocker....
GW

griff

Post by griff »

Although I thought the 2007 Wynn's Black label too lean for me, I can see how others may like it. Nice bouquet but green beans and excess leaf to the point of stalk on the palate is just not my thing :) Tannins tasted on the green side for me. Should age and who knows, may even flesh out. Interestingly, for some reason I didn't get the excess blackcurrant that some did.

For me the 2006 was a very good Black label (with 2004 and then 2005 behind in that order) and look forward to the 2008. The 2008 Shiraz is back in business (best since 1998 for mine) and I hope the 2008 Cabernet is at a similar level.

Vintage variation in a somewhat cooler climate area is always going to produce ups and downs. Frost doesn't help matters. Luckily there is enough variation in what people like to somewhat reduce the impact.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

You need to re-taste the wine (not that it really matters). It's anything but green bean.
GW

griff

Post by griff »

Gary W wrote:You need to re-taste the wine (not that it really matters). It's anything but green bean.
GW

Certainly shall when opportunity presents. Love polarizing wines :) Only tried it the two times, both at tastings. The second note I wrote at the Roadshow and all I have is 'green again'. Many wines that day and maybe it isn't a wine like the 2006 that leapt out of a line-up.

cheers

Carl