Visting Champagne

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
A_n_d_r_e_w

Visting Champagne

Post by A_n_d_r_e_w »

Has anyone been to any wineries/cellar doors in Champagne that they would recommend?

Cheers,

Andrew

rednut

Post by rednut »

"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

Mark Jappe

Post by Mark Jappe »

When last there about 5 years ago I found Mumm to be my best cellar door experience. Their premium vintage wines (most not readily available here) were an absolute treat.

Veuve was also pretty good.

Julio G

Post by Julio G »

Ployez Jacquemart and Andre Clouet were the standouts for me. The big houses seem to lack the character of the smaller producers.

rednut

Post by rednut »

We visited Moet Chandon winery. A must for any visitor. The only other one we saw was Mumm. It was ok, but I think Moet is the sentimental home of French Champagne. I think they are all in the area/region, so pick a label at dan murphy's and you are likely to find it there.

Moet did have a surcharge for the tour and tasting, but it was reasonable from memory.
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

All the major houses in Epernay and Reims have tours and tastings. Some of the better houses such as Krug and Salon will only see you if you get an appropriate intorduction from a retailer or distributor, and even then there's no guarantee.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

... and if you buy some of the wines he imports, perhaps Neville Yates (Eurocentric) can get you an introduction to those houses....

Eurocentric

Post by Eurocentric »

Yes, one tour with every 10 dozen sold ;-)

This is who I import:

Ployez Jacquemart (Ludes)
Henri Billiot (Ambonnay)
Rene Geoffroy (Cumieres)
Georges Laval (Cumieres)
Chartogne Taillet (Merfy)
David Leclapart (Trepail)
Vouette et Sorbee (Buxieres sur Arce).

Of those, Ployez-Jacquemart, Billiot and Geoffroy are probably best placed for visits.

Other places I've been:

Vilmart (not so good if you get the PA instead of the winemaker)
Taittinger (good if you get a personal tour; OK if it's your only big-house visit)
Pol Roger (bit industrial)
Henriot (educational)
Krug (depends who you get, mine just OK. Refused to answer many questions)
Louis Roederer (great)
Philipponnat (great)
Mailly (pretty interesting, great tasting)
Diebolt-Vallois (pretty lame)
Veuve Fourny (fabulous)
Deutz (OK, find the wines too sweet though)
Ruinart (good tour, again find the wines too sweet)

If you want contacts or more details, let me know.

Eurocentric

Post by Eurocentric »

Gavin's been to Billiot and Ployez by the way. Think he enjoyed Billiot more (for the wines perhaps).

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Eurocentric wrote:Gavin's been to Billiot and Ployez by the way. Think he enjoyed Billiot more (for the wines perhaps).

Loved both!

Ployez, we stayed there too, which was fantastic, really good wines.

Billiot, different, smaller, more 'family' oriented, but great. Great wines, you MUST go down in the old 'lift', I'm sure Neville has, its great and very atmospheric, oh, and the wines are stunning also!

Both recommended, albeit quite different.

Also went to Vilmart, which was fantastic ... but, had a personal invitation, so got the owner, the royal tour and tasting. Excellent, and very very interesting wines (oak is used, some new, in the process)!
regards

Gavin Trott

A_n_d_r_e_w

Post by A_n_d_r_e_w »

Thanks guys for the tips!

Andrew