Sunday again.....

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

Sunday again.....

Post by TORB »

Hi Good Peoples,

Its that time of the week again. Please let us know what you have been drinking...... Tasting notes, vibes, impressions and lists all welcome.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

1996 Eileen Hardy Shiraz (magnum)
Clear plum after a double decant and an hour in the glass with a nose of anis, cinnamon and raisin. A crisp, medium bodied wine with cigar box tannins, great balance and integration. A palate of sarsparilla, spicy plums and prunes finishing with a lift of blackberries and blackcurrents.
Many more years of life in this one yet.

1996 Neill Robb's Private Bin Cabernet Franc
Plum with brick edges and a nose and palate like a great burgundy. A cornucopia of flavours assault the olfactory senses: anis, violets, musk, gooseberries. A soft wine with lovely redcurrent, raspberry and cherry moving around the palate in unbelievable harmony. I can see why Max Lake loved this wine so much.
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

1987 Penfolds Grange Hermitage - for a less than stellar vintage, this is awesome. Even better on day 2. Coffee, chocolate, earth, forest and mulberry nose. Lovely balance between fruit richness and finishing austerity. Great length. I enjoyed this more than recent bottles of 82, 83, 94 and 02 which is suprising given the various reputations and vintage conditions. The 87 has a long and prosperous future. The fact that such a wine could be produced in an ordinary vintage proves to me why Grange is on a pedestal by itself when it comes to Australian wines.

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

Two last night:

Brown Brothers Prosecco 2008

Watched the September Issue and had a glass of this pre-movie. Nice bead, fruity nose with a touch of honey. Some ginger and pear/green apple on the palate, finishing crisply, just a touch of sweetness.

Mount Pleasant Phillip Shiraz 2007

Impulse decision to have wine with dinner resulted in this being acquired. I really want to recommend this, I really do, having liked most of the previous vintages. I can't. Ripe, alcoholic, sweet, finishes short. To it's credit it does have some silky tannins and does bring to mind a bit of the Hunter earth, but this is just lost in the alcohol and sweetness. A pity. Avoid.

Maybe on retasting the bottle tonight it will have settled down?

monghead

Post by monghead »

2007 Clonakilla O'Riada SV- Good
2005 Lucien Muzard Santenay- Good
1997 Dalwhinnie Moonambel Shiraz- Good

Which was most good?... The Dalwhinnie...

Monghead.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Rockford Moppa Springs GSM 2004
Good, quite lightweight with pronounced Grenache confectionary and red fruits. Very pleasant.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

2008 Durvillea Sauvignon Blanc- the most enjoyable Marlborough Sav Blanc I've tasted. Everything in balance and restrained. Lovely. It's a new "little sister" label made by Simon Waghorn from Astrolabe
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

04 Mitolo GAM.
Drinking well, will hold.

02 Araris The Govener shiraz
Oak has mellowed, but could do with a bit more time. Good wine.

06 Glaetzer Anaperama
Corked. Replaced immediately from Glaetzer.

02 Bullers Calliope shiraz
Too many cork problems. 2 bottles opened, the second around 95%.
A perfect bottle is brilliant. I hate corks.

06 Bullers Valarie shiraz viognier
Gad. So sweet, could not drink it.

04 Gemtree Obsidian.
Oak has mellowed, more time needed. Good.

05 Hewitson Private Cellar shiraz mouvedre
I love this wine. amazing. Needs time.

98 389
Very good.

02 St Henri
This is the goods. Brilliant

05 McWilliams Lovedale semillon.
Bring it on. Fantastic wine.

Bruce
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Mount Horrocks Clare Valley Shiraz 2002
I've had this bottle since release and have weighed up hitting both this and an 04 at once. Not this time, the 04 can wait a little longer.

Red purple rim, with a hint of bricking. Intriguing nose of plum, black pepper, some stale tobacco and a resounding overlay of spicy oak, the palate quite rounded with plenty of fruit but far less tannic structure and a touch of alcoholic heat. Very interesting wine but just slightly on the wrong side of peak drinking. Worth a look.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

monghead

Post by monghead »

2008 Ballewindi Pinot Noir- A shade below Good...

Monghead.

dlo

Post by dlo »

Dom Perignon 1995 - extra good

Penfolds 2000 Reserve Bin 00A Chardonnay - 2 bottles opened - one most ungood (oxidised), one extremely good

Thierry Allemand Cornas Reynard 1998 - bloody very good indeed

Ch. Pichon-Lalande 1981 - horribly ungood (corked) :evil:

Clos de L'Oratoire Grand Cru Classe (St. Emilion) 1996 - very good

Ch. Rayne Vigneau 1988 (Sauternes) - very, very good

Ratings courtesy of good old monghead
Cheers,

David

monghead

Post by monghead »

dlo wrote:Dom Perignon 1995 - extra good

Penfolds 2000 Reserve Bin 00A Chardonnay - 2 bottles opened - one most ungood (oxidised), one extremely good

:wink:

Work has been killer, so other things (including those vinous... I know, shock, horror) have had to take a back seat.

David, was this the second bottle of the '88 Rayne Vigneau you have enjoyed this week? And the Cornas a red?

Cheers,

Monghead.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Alex F wrote:

Impulse decision to have wine with dinner resulted in this being acquired. I really want to recommend this, I really do, having liked most of the previous vintages. I can't. Ripe, alcoholic, sweet, finishes short. To it's credit it does have some silky tannins and does bring to mind a bit of the Hunter earth, but this is just lost in the alcohol and sweetness. A pity. Avoid.

I think it's a wine not to avoid. For my tastes not sweet, not hot. Not so long though. It's much better on a second night. Acid elevated on first day. Needs a couple of years in bottle. Better luck tonight.
GW

rens

Post by rens »

Mike Hawkins wrote:1987 Penfolds Grange Hermitage - for a less than stellar vintage, this is awesome. Even better on day 2. Coffee, chocolate, earth, forest and mulberry nose. Lovely balance between fruit richness and finishing austerity. Great length. I enjoyed this more than recent bottles of 82, 83, 94 and 02 which is suprising given the various reputations and vintage conditions. The 87 has a long and prosperous future. The fact that such a wine could be produced in an ordinary vintage proves to me why Grange is on a pedestal by itself when it comes to Australian wines.

Great to hear Mike. I've got 2 rolling around in the bottom of my cellar. Will try one soon in the interests of comparing notes.

mf

Post by mf »

Woodside Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 (Cleanskin) - Not sure exactly what this wine is and not sure every bottle is consistent. But this was definitely a good bottle with very noticeable blackcurrant flavour running through quite a long and fine grained tannin palate. A vey slight bit of alcohol warmth I think giving that slight licorice characteristic on end.

Cape Mentelle Chardonnay 2007 - This wine clearly tastes best just above room temperature (and most importantly not too cold). Has very nice acidity and minerality (not a big Chardonnay) with a bit of grapefruit, citrus and some vanilla oak/creaminess/almond essence.

By Farr Sangreal Pinot Noir 2006 - On first night noticed mainly dark cherry (on nose and palate), toasty oak, a hint of raspberry and definitely meatiness (although could not come up with this myself - although it was on nose and palate) - was a bigger, full flavoured and deep (maybe rather than long) Pinot. Second night opened up and noticed more herby and spicy characters as well.

Veuve Clicquot NV - Did not evaluate this much but was fresh, crisp and yummy - better than some other Veuve NV have had.

dlo

Post by dlo »

monghead wrote:

Work has been killer, so other things (including those vinous... I know, shock, horror) have had to take a back seat.

David, was this the second bottle of the '88 Rayne Vigneau you have enjoyed this week? And the Cornas a red?

Cheers,

Monghead.

No and yes. Good? :lol:
Cheers,

David

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

Penfolds Bin 389 2001 - As this was only kept in a basement (no temperature control) I was unsure how this would turn out. Ended up as the highlight of the weekend. Intensely smooth, velvety, mouthfilling, extremely fine tannins, the fruit has seamlessly and completely integrated. Drinking absolutely perfectly. I'm sure it would age further but it's so good that I don't think I could wait any longer to open the rest. Nor do I want to!

Red Hill Mornington Peninsula Pinot Noir 2000 - After a 2001 Dromana a few weeks ago and now this, aged Mornington Pinots have totally won me over. Just a hint of brick brown, still plenty of red fruit on the nose despite the age. However the palate is Burgundian, integrated, light to medium bodied and just beautiful.

James Estate Merlot 2006 - A fair dose of acid for a Merlot. We drank our bottles totally out of order, so after the older wines, a tiny sampler of this and I didn't bother.

Last bottle of the day was a Penfolds Grandfather Port. Outstanding as always, all raisiny and spirity. With a beautifully mild Sydney evening setting in, this gave the perfect "warm and fuzzies". A great Sunday afternoon closer.
Last edited by odyssey on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wolf

Post by wolf »

2004 Vasse Felix Cabernet Sauvignon: Medium bodied black fruits with a good whack of oak. Hints of coffee and bayleaf, powdery tannins. Good long finish. Need to try to forget about the rest for a few years.

2007 Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon: Vibrant purple, blackcurrant with creamy vanilla oak and a hint of menthol. Bitey tannins to finish. Reminds me of the 2001 Wynns Harold when it was young but without quite the same depth of fruit. Very good considering the vintage, but not in the league of 2004.

monghead

Post by monghead »

dlo wrote:
monghead wrote:

Cheers,

Monghead.

No and yes. Good? :lol:

Good Good...

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

Gary W wrote:
Alex F wrote:

I think it's a wine not to avoid. For my tastes not sweet, not hot. Not so long though. It's much better on a second night. Acid elevated on first day. Needs a couple of years in bottle. Better luck tonight.
GW

I finished the rest of the bottle tonight. Given it has been two days I guess I will have to take my impressions with a grain of salt, but I still don't like it. Previously this would have been one of my go to wines if a wine in the 10-15$ range was needed. Not this one, sadly.

oakboy

Post by oakboy »

Alex F wrote:
Gary W wrote:
Alex F wrote:

GW

I finished the rest of the bottle tonight. Given it has been two days I guess I will have to take my impressions with a grain of salt, but I still don't like it. Previously this would have been one of my go to wines if a wine in the 10-15$ range was needed. Not this one, sadly.

I thought both the 2006 and 2007 were a little commercial and had lost that great hunter flavour, have a few of the 2005 stashed still. Think this is the pick of the last few vintages of Phillip

Julio G

Post by Julio G »

mf wrote:Woodside Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 (Cleanskin) - Not sure exactly what this wine is and not sure every bottle is consistent. But this was definitely a good bottle with very noticeable blackcurrant flavour running through quite a long and fine grained tannin palate. A vey slight bit of alcohol warmth I think giving that slight licorice characteristic on end.

mf, where did you find this? I am a big fan of this producer.

Cheers

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Oakboy wrote

Alex F wrote:
Gary W wrote:
Alex F wrote:

GW

I thought both the 2006 and 2007 were a little commercial and had lost that great hunter flavour, have a few of the 2005 stashed still. Think this is the pick of the last few vintages of Phillip

Thought the 2005 was really good but needed time for everything to integrate. Really enjoyed the 2006, didn't think it was commercial, tasted like Hunter shiraz to me. The 2007 didn't do a lot for me personally, but I'll be buying some more as it seems the good folk at Mt Pleasant may make a multi-regional 08. Dumb, but hey I've been dumb before too.

Call it as you see it and keep your ears/eyes/mind open I reckon.

Oakboy. can you give me a clearer idea of what you found "commercial" in the 06 and 07? (not arguing, just interested)

RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

2002 Occam's Razor Shiraz
Lovely nose of black fruits, violets and spice the palate still quite closed but showed deep set black cherry, licquorice, black pepper and chalky tannins leading me to believe this still requires more time in the cellar to show its best.

2007 Hope Shiraz
Loverly spicey easy drinking Hunter Shiraz with black fruits and plenty ofspice.

2005 D'arenberg, Footbolt Shiraz
Nice drinking, not much more to say other than that.

2003 Shaw and Smith M3 Chardonnay Magnum
Lovely Chard with nectarine and good dollop of oak all meshing together very nicely, lovely wine.

:)

oakboy

Post by oakboy »

Hey jeremy, that was one of my dumber posts last nite. :shock: :) commercial is a word i would describe wines without any real regional flavour profile and usually made in a generic kind of way. I still think value for money, the philip is a great wine and the 06 and 07 vintages are still this. I just thought the wines didn't seem to have as much of the Hunter flavour, could just be they need a some time in the bottle, will get some to retaste and see.
Cheers all
Simmo

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Thanks Oakboy, always genuinely interested in others perceptions & language. Appreciate your take.

mf

Post by mf »

Julio G wrote:
mf wrote:Woodside Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 (Cleanskin) - Not sure exactly what this wine is and not sure every bottle is consistent. But this was definitely a good bottle with very noticeable blackcurrant flavour running through quite a long and fine grained tannin palate. A vey slight bit of alcohol warmth I think giving that slight licorice characteristic on end.

mf, where did you find this? I am a big fan of this producer.

Cheers

I purchased a dozen bottles of this a couple of years ago (maybe more) from GraysOnline - think it ended up being about $4 or $5 a bottle, including all costs. Also bought a dozen bottles of a Woodside Valley 2005 Chardonnay in Cleanskin (again for around $4 a bottle). Not sure exactly as to what either of these wines equate to but have definitely been very good for the price. Doubt you will be able to find it easily - although if you do please tell me :)