Frogmore Creek Wines, Tasmania

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

Frogmore Creek Wines, Tasmania

Post by Waiters Friend »

I've tried a couple of these wines recently (whites only at this stage) and I'm seeking some sort of general opinion on them. The information I have spruiks organics, and there is the buying out of Andrew Hood's Wellington Wines as well. Just curious, especially in regards to chardonnay, pinot, and sparkilng blends of the two.

Any thoughts?
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

G'day WF

I will write more on the Tasmania Unbottled thread, but my notes (very rough - it was getting on in the tasting) were that the Riesling was Very Good, the FGR Riesling had too much residual sugar for my tolerance level. The 2006 Chardonnay was Very, Very Good. The 42oS Pinot was "not so hot". The Frogmore Creek Pinot was V,V G, but was at the higher end price wise (I think around $45). There was better, and better value, to be had.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Thanks Michael

Any opinions on the Reserve Chardonnay 2005?

Benno

Post by Benno »

The Frogmore Creek FGR Riesling 2009 is a cracking wine. Beautiful balance of sweetness and acidity, a little bit of spritz adding to the incredible freshness of the wine, plus it's only about 10% alcohol. A great wine to have lunch of fresh prawns and avacado on one of these unusually balmy winter days.

Cheers,

Benno

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Hi WF

If it wasn't noted, I either didn't try it or it didn't wow me. More likely the former.

Sorry

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Benno wrote:The Frogmore Creek FGR Riesling 2009 is a cracking wine. Beautiful balance of sweetness and acidity, a little bit of spritz adding to the incredible freshness of the wine, plus it's only about 10% alcohol. A great wine to have lunch of fresh prawns and avacado on one of these unusually balmy winter days.

Cheers,

Benno

I had a bottle of this last night. Initially, floral & roses with obvious sweetness snd bracing acidity, but not as balanced as I'd have liked. After a couple of hours it seemed to change with more citrus notes (mandarin and a bit of lime) and much less overt sweetness & acidity which to me was better balanced.

Cheers Mark

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Rudy

This sounds like a first (well, for me anyway). It sounds like you're describing a just-released aromatic unwooded white, that requires decanting :lol:

It's not as strange as it sounds, however. But I'd like to hear some opinions on this (and not just as a means to diminish bottle shock on newly-bottled wines).

Cheers

Allan

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Waiters Friend wrote:Rudy

This sounds like a first (well, for me anyway). It sounds like you're describing a just-released aromatic unwooded white, that requires decanting :lol:

It's not as strange as it sounds, however. But I'd like to hear some opinions on this (and not just as a means to diminish bottle shock on newly-bottled wines).

Cheers

Allan

That's not unusual at all Allan. I've found the same with a number of young Australian Rieslings (Crawford River and Seppelt Drumborg come to mind), a lot of German riesling really needs airtime too.

I hope this wine comes on well, earlier releases have been some of the better Aus attempts at this style,

cheers
Andrew