A Sydney tasting group based on the Lower north shore

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
cuttlefish

A Sydney tasting group based on the Lower north shore

Post by cuttlefish »

I thought I'd start this thread, as it looks like there are a few interested parties. I'm not entirely sure how it'd be run.
A theme, a date, a venue, the wines, the participants would probably cover it.
We'd set up a kitty possibly, to fund icon wine purchases, and to cover the cost of snacks during the tasting.
Would anyone like to add their thoughts on this ? I've been a participating member of a tasting group before, but not ever "run" one. It can't be that difficult, can it ?
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Christo

Post by Christo »

what about a group in Sydneys inner west, anyone interested? 8)

c
"You are what u drink!"

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Yeah, Christo, be much more interested in one in the inner west. I have a major problem with going over the bridge, exacerbated by my refusal to buy an e-toll tag.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

Yeah inner west works for me - ideally Balmain and not too far up the hill thanks very much :wink:
3, 65, 7, 50

pc79

Post by pc79 »

I'd be an occasional participant in an inner west group. Although my novice palate and knowledge is relatively thin, and modern ('04 vintage and onwards) cellar might be a hinderance.
I would however be willing to bring 150 bottles of uncle dan's cleanskins to cover a taste of 96 grange :wink:

GRB

Post by GRB »

That was quick, those low life's from south of the harbour have hijacked our thread already :roll: :lol:
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

GRB wrote:That was quick, those low life's from south of the harbour have hijacked our thread already :roll: :lol:

:roll: :lol:
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

I am interested.

Inner west is better for me... I live in Glebe :), but I am happy with the LNS as well.

But more importantly is how the group will be structured, I think.

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

For either area (LNS or IW), any thoughts as to expected price bracket, location, group size, nights of the week and the like?

Have to say I'm a little curious, but tentatively. LNS would probably be easier, I'm not sure what public transport to take from here to inner west and I guess I'd go over the limit so will be leaving the car at home. :)

However the cellar only begins at roughly 97 and 98 vintages and "the other half" ensures I'm on a tight budget, so it could easily all be out of my league. :)
Last edited by odyssey on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 11 times in total.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Where's the outer west group? I'm sure we could rustle up some nice Queen Adelaide and Fruity Lexia, and discuss the strengths of casks versus flagons...

RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

dave vino wrote:Where's the outer west group? I'm sure we could rustle up some nice Queen Adelaide and Fruity Lexia, and discuss the strengths of casks versus flagons...

:lol:

I would be interested in either LNS or IW however the Inner west is probably more preferable. I would have thought that a regular tasting group would be more about tasting current wines rather than those which have been cellared. Then again the guys in adelaide have themed tastings quite regularly with well cellared wines.

Lets just start by saying im interested in attending. :)

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

At the end of the day, the inner west wouldn't upset me too much. I am not afraid of a little bridge-toll. We in the north are used to the complaints of those from the south regarding the toll, and we have learned to live with it. The cost of living in paradise, I suppose :wink:

First and foremost, I'd like the group to be openminded enough to enable all interested parties to attend, regardless of how much they earn, or how deep their cellar is, or whatever.

There is no expectation to bring really expensive wine each month, or whatever.

RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

cuttlefish wrote:At the end of the day, the inner west wouldn't upset me too much. I am not afraid of a little bridge-toll. We in the north are used to the complaints of those from the south regarding the toll, and we have learned to live with it. The cost of living in paradise, I suppose :wink:

First and foremost, I'd like the group to be openminded enough to enable all interested parties to attend, regardless of how much they earn, or how deep their cellar is, or whatever.

There is no expectation to bring really expensive wine each month, or whatever.

Agreed, it should be about all price brackets, varietals, regions and countries.

Christo

Post by Christo »

crap.. i was just stirring & doing a thread hi jack like the previous request for a Canberra tasting group. However i am imterested in participating but am not willing to organise.

happy to try wine at all levels & countries.
c
"You are what u drink!"

Christo

Post by Christo »

I think those interested should decide on location (peoples houses, or inexpensive BYO's), duration & frequency of gatherings, type of wine (aged, new releases, coubtries, etc..) & of course a cool name & secret handshake?! :wink: :P

I should stop now as i do not want to organise. Anyone care to step up to the plate?
c 8)
"You are what u drink!"

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

Christo wrote:crap.. i was just stirring & doing a thread hi jack like the previous request for a Canberra tasting group. However i am imterested in participating but am not willing to organise.

happy to try wine at all levels & countries.
c

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like you have succeeded. :twisted:

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

I'll be in it, I like themes within reason. I'm not a huge fan of verticals as it gets a bit 'boring' unless it's an iconic wine.

I liked the Chardy/Pinot one you did Cuttlefish. Maybe a Cool climate shiraz/Riesling, Sem/HV Shiraz etc, etc.

Maybe have a rule that wines should be $20-$60 unless someone is feeling extra generous.

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

I'll continue the hijack.

I'm keen, and I'm keen on the inner-west.

Either a kitty, or simply bring along a favourite wine. I would trust people to bring along something they really respected.

monghead

Post by monghead »

dave vino wrote:Where's the outer west group? I'm sure we could rustle up some nice Queen Adelaide and Fruity Lexia, and discuss the strengths of casks versus flagons...

Ha! How very un-PC!

I think nice Queen Adelaide is an over-whelming oxymoron...

Cheers,

Monghead.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Oh yeah, definityle keen for a regular Sydney tasting group, and although inner west preferable, lower north shore won't kill me to get to...

Cheers,

Monghead.

redstuff

Post by redstuff »

so how bout that Canberra tasting group? :o

Eurocentric

Post by Eurocentric »

Inner West works better for me too. Leichhardt, North Strathfield, Concord, Rhodes ...

Agreed it shouldn't be about superdupers, but about trying quirky things, or latest releases of icon wines ... more about having fun. Wouldn't be keen on a pointyhead kind of gathering.

Muscat Mike

Westward ho.

Post by Muscat Mike »

Dave,
there are a few of us "Westies" who have graduated from the above. 8) :shock:
Mike.

DJ

Post by DJ »

LNS is probably easier for me but regardless it would be good to go some where close to a major transport line.
David J

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake 1Ti 5:23

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

I thought a bit about what I would like to get from a tasting group, so I am happy to get the ball rolling if there are others in the same frame of mind as I am.

I am not looking for anything too expensive. I think $50-60 per meeting including wine and food is my budget. Foodwise, I know lots of places with byo where you can eat for $15-25, granted many of these are asian oriented, thai, japanese, indian, etc. but for something different somewhere like Naggys cafe in Glebe serves nice food for about $18-25 mains.

The premise for my budget is that the average cost of the wines I buy tends to fall in the 20-25$ range. The spread of this spending is probably quite a lot of wine in the range of $15-30 and occassionally I splurge for things like St Henri, Bin 389, Hunter premiums.

There are many wines in the $15-30 range I would like to try which I often find I do not get the opportunity to do so. E.g. some of the 'super' cleanskins floating around atm, Wynns cabernet, foreign rieslings <35>50) which I would love to try but probably will not buy until I actually have a proper job.

Anyway, if anyone is interested I am happy to attempt organising something. For one day every month I am pretty much happy to travel to the LNS and out to Strathfield, subject to the budgetary constraints above. Of course if I were to organise I only know good places to eat in Glebe/Newtown and a few in the city.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Asian/Thai/Indian are IMHO not the most conducive foods for tasting wines unless it's an Alsace/Gewurz/Riesling tasting. I'd be targetting Italian/French/Mod Oz/Proper Pizza type restaurants. Not sure how they stack up VFM-wise in Inner Sydney.

griff

Post by griff »

dave vino wrote:Asian/Thai/Indian are IMHO not the most conducive foods for tasting wines unless it's an Alsace/Gewurz/Riesling tasting. I'd be targetting Italian/French/Mod Oz/Proper Pizza type restaurants. Not sure how they stack up VFM-wise in Inner Sydney.

I just had a thought. Have to visit Frank's in Camperdown when over at Christmas. Its an institution! :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

I am happy to lead the way, but will need assistance from time to time. I say we do one a month, and make it on a regular day, like always the first Saturday of the month, or something like that. These things can work really well at someones house, with just bread and cheeses on the table (but I don't have somewhere suitable myself, so I can't really talk !).
Restaurants are a great idea, but I wouldn't be interested in always having the group tasting at a restaurant.
There should be a kitty, and someone entrusted to manage that. Each attendee should throw in $10 or something like that at each tasting they attend, and we can buy a premium wine from time to time to fit whatever tasting theme we're having. I've done tastings with up to almost 16 or so people. It's easy if you just pour tasting samples, and not full glasses. Discussion is never frowned upon, and information is shared freely.
We can decide on the years tastings themes together and distribute that list to the members of the group.

Would the first Saturday of each month suit you lot ? There probably would be no tasting planned in January, and possibly none in December either, depending on peoples availability.

I think we should take it offline from here, too. It looks like we have an appropriate number of people to begin. Would you all like to start PMing me with your email addresses so I can send something out like a first draft ?

Cheers,

Tom.

RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Cuttlefish and All,

Not sure how everyone feels but my preference would be to do the tasting on a week night rather than a Saturday. I find it easier to attend on week nights as i have far less engagements than on Saturday nights.
Also many BYO restaurants will only allow BYO Sunday to Thursday.

What is everyone else's thoughts?

PS: I like the idea of kity and contributing $10 to purchase a premium every so often. :)

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

I would prefer weeknights as well, but I don't foresee a problem setting aside a saturday every month.

pm sent.