Schoolday Gear 3rd to 7th August

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
monghead

Post by monghead »

Loztralia wrote:
monghead wrote:
2005 Tower Estate Yarra Valley Pinot Noir

Not too bad. Vibrant cherries and strawberries. Flavours that dance on the palate. If it weren't for the hint of varnish, I believe the late Len Evans would have been proud of this wine...

Cheers,

monghead.

Do you know anything about the Tower Barossa Shiraz? I discovered a bottle of the 2003 while doing a mini audit at the weekend and don't know if I should be pleased or not.

I think you should be quite pleased. Their Barossa shiraz is always better than their Hunter shiraz in my opinion. This often puzzled me, as they are based in the Hunter! Have not had the '03 though.

Cheers,

Monghead.

monghead

Post by monghead »

DaveB wrote:2008 Domaine La Roche Bussiere Premice Vdt - very good...super gluggable
2003 Louis Lequin Chassange Montrachet Morgeot - pretty good...lacks a bit of finesse though
2002 Louis Lequin Corton Les Languettes - quite advanced colour but pretty good drinking
2005 Cornu Le clos Magny Cote de Nuits Village - enjoyed this...super value at around three lobsters
2004 Cornu Les Bois Rousett Ladoix - pretty good...tarry and a bit reductive with that '04 celery character....not bad though
2001 Cornu Le Clos Magny Cote de Nuit Village - pretty good, nice line of fruit but the finish a bit trucated
2005 Earl Cacheux Les chaladins Vosne Romanee - new worldy style...pretty good
2005 Earl Cacheux Les Suchots Vosne Romanee - pretty good...in a bit of a weird place at the moment
2005 Earl Cacheux La Croix Rameau Vosne Romanee - again new worldy...quite powerful line...very good
2005 Prieure-Roch Les Suchots 1er Vosne Romanee - sick....I love these wines
2001 Prieure-Roch Les Suchots 1er Vosne Romanee - awesome....super heady gear
2005 Prieure-Roch Chambertin Clos de Beze - awesome...super extracted though....pretty polarising wine
2004 Prieure-Roch Chambertin clos de Beze - excellent....smells like a crazy chinese restaurant
2001 Prieure-Roch Chambertin Clos de Beze - browning right off...bugger all sulphur used so this is to be expected....very good

All the prieure-rochs are pretty crazy wines....hyper-natural stylee with brown colours with a bit of age and some pretty challenging aromatic elements....lots of poop, tea, soy sauce, spice and uber-gamey stuff....very complex gear

Dave, those Prieure-Rochs sound very interesting. Are they 1er or Grand crus?

Cheers,

Monghead.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Last night I was sent to the cellar with the instruction to get a dry white. I generally think that a chardy fits this bill, given it's for a risotto. Problem is, I don't have very many cheap chardys. i wasn't too keen on putting Leuuwin Estate or Mount Mary or even Vat 47 in the risotto so had to go hunting.

I eventually found two bottles of Draytons 1997 Chardonnay. I don't even remember where these came from but I suspect I bought them for cooking purposes so I wasn't holding much hope. Turns out it was actually drinkable! Very deep yellow and all the primary fruit long gone but not vinegar and we were certainly happy enough to finish off the bottle. I am constantly surprised!
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Aaron Lovett

Post by Aaron Lovett »

I was looking for some wines of interest for quaffing during the week, and after hearing all the speculation about Heritage, thought I'd dive in and decide for myself. Here's the first of the mixed case

2003 Binder Mitchell Dovetail SGM- This was the only one with screwcap in the box, so since it was the easiest to open, it was chosen first. There's some good ripe fruit, a nice dash of oak and a bit of alcohol warmth. But something feels out of place, just like Kevin Rudd without a hair dryer. There's an overt "fruityness" which is a bit distratcting. Just have it with food, and don't worry about quibbling at this price point.

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

monghead wrote:

Not too bad. Vibrant cherries and strawberries. Flavours that dance on the palate. If it weren't for the hint of varnish, I believe the late Len Evans would have been proud of this wine...

Cheers,

monghead.

The 04 is very nice. No varnish and really good after a bit of a decant.

I had the 2003 Tower Hunter shiraz recently. Very bright acidity, almost, spritzy. A hint of brett coming over as well. The last bit about brett is consistent with what I've read over the fora. I would avoid... :/

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

bacchaebabe wrote

Last night I was sent to the cellar with the instruction to get a dry white. I generally think that a chardy fits this bill, given it's for a risotto. Problem is, I don't have very many cheap chardys. i wasn't too keen on putting Leuuwin Estate or Mount Mary or even Vat 47 in the risotto so had to go hunting.

I eventually found two bottles of Draytons 1997 Chardonnay. I don't even remember where these came from but I suspect I bought them for cooking purposes so I wasn't holding much hope. Turns out it was actually drinkable! Very deep yellow and all the primary fruit long gone but not vinegar and we were certainly happy enough to finish off the bottle. I am constantly surprised!

That is bloody startling Kris! Thanks. Nice to know someone can still be suprised far on down one's wine journey. I hope I always am :)
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Yeah, I was quite startled, Jeremy! It was funny as I was on twitter (as you do) and Lisa was calling up for me to get some wine. By the time I finally got it she needed to put it straight in and was grabbing it out of my hand to pour and I'm going, "hang on, I need to try that first, it's probably vinegar". But all was fine and good so in it went.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

dlo

Post by dlo »

monghead wrote:
DaveB wrote:2008 Domaine La Roche Bussiere Premice Vdt - very good...super gluggable
2003 Louis Lequin Chassange Montrachet Morgeot - pretty good...lacks a bit of finesse though
2002 Louis Lequin Corton Les Languettes - quite advanced colour but pretty good drinking
2005 Cornu Le clos Magny Cote de Nuits Village - enjoyed this...super value at around three lobsters
2004 Cornu Les Bois Rousett Ladoix - pretty good...tarry and a bit reductive with that '04 celery character....not bad though
2001 Cornu Le Clos Magny Cote de Nuit Village - pretty good, nice line of fruit but the finish a bit trucated
2005 Earl Cacheux Les Suchots Vosne Romanee - pretty good...in a bit of a weird place at the moment
2005 Earl Cacheux La Croix Rameau Vosne Romanee - again new worldy...quite powerful line...very good
2005 Prieure-Roch Chambertin Clos de Beze - awesome...super extracted though....pretty polarising wine
2004 Prieure-Roch Chambertin clos de Beze - excellent....smells like a crazy chinese restaurant
2001 Prieure-Roch Chambertin Clos de Beze - browning right off...bugger all sulphur used so this is to be expected....very good

All the prieure-rochs are pretty crazy wines....hyper-natural stylee with brown colours with a bit of age and some pretty challenging aromatic elements....lots of poop, tea, soy sauce, spice and uber-gamey stuff....very complex gear

Cheers,

Monghead.

I'm not DaveB, but Les Suchot 1er V-R is naturally a Premier Cru, but a very, very good one adjoining the famous Grand Cru, Romanee Saint Vivant. Chambertin-Clos de Beze is generally rated number two Grand Cru in the Gevrey-Chambertin appellation .... Chambertin is still king, i.e., number 1. Remember, the producer is the most important player in Burgundian vineyards. Roch is a director of the famous Domaine de la Romanee Conti. Perhaps this is why his wine is so freakin' expensive (although DaveB has told me for some years now how good this dude makes 'em).
Cheers,

David

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

DaveB wrote:Hmmmm....tonight a Domaine La Roche Bussiere VdT 2008...a super little 100% Grenackers from Faucon in the Northern Cotes du Rhone.

Tomorrow a flash Burgundy tasting with a few cheeky Languedoc wines thrown in for good measure...

05 Prieure Roch 2005 Chambertin Clos de Beze $736

’04 Prieure Roch 2004 Chambertin Clos de Beze

’01 Prieure Roch 2001 Chambertin Clos de Beze

’05 Prieure Roch 2005 Clos Vougeot

’05 Prieure Roch 2005 Vosne Romanee Les Clous

’05 Prieure Roch 2005 Vosne Romanee Les Suchots

’04 Chateau Maris 2004 La Touge Syrah La Liviniere

’04 Chateau Maris 2004 Old Vine Grenache La Liv

’04 Chateau Maris 2004 OV Syrah Mineroius La Liv

’04 Domaine Cornu 2004 Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits Blanc

’05 Domaine Cornu 2005 Ladiox Rouge

’05 Domaine Cornu 2005 Pernard-Vergelesses Rouge

’05 Domaine Cornu 2005 Savigny Les Beune Rouge

’03 Louis Lequin 2003 Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot

’02 Louis Lequin 2002 Corton Grand Cru Les Languettes

’05 Earl Cacheux 2005 Vosne Romanee 1 cru La Croix Rameau

’05 Earl Cacheux 2005 Vosne Romanee 1 cru Les Suchots

Thursday....lunch with 2007 Egon Muller Scharzhoffberger Spatlese, Chave Hermitage 2006 and Chateau Rayas Reserve 2004.

And Friday up to Moolooooolaaaabaaaaa for 3 days
Dave you have one hell of a lifestyle :twisted: :wink:

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

griff

Post by griff »

2008 Clonakilla Jack Reidy Shiraz
White flowers and apricot lifted on the nose. Red currant and fresh palate that is silky and forward in the mouth. A kiss of tannin on the cheeks in the finish. Drink from now on. Good/Very Good wine but the O'Riada is a level more serious.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

monghead

Post by monghead »

dlo wrote:
monghead wrote:

Cheers,

Monghead.

I'm not DaveB, but Les Suchot 1er V-R is naturally a Premier Cru, but a very, very good one adjoining the famous Grand Cru, Romanee Saint Vivant. Chambertin-Clos de Beze is generally rated number two Grand Cru in the Gevrey-Chambertin appellation .... Chambertin is still king, i.e., number 1. Remember, the producer is the most important player in Burgundian vineyards. Roch is a director of the famous Domaine de la Romanee Conti. Perhaps this is why his wine is so freakin' expensive (although DaveB has told me for some years now how good this dude makes 'em).

Yes, silly me. I realised soon after I had posted... But thank you for confirming...

monghead

Post by monghead »

1991 Lindemans Bin 8200 Hunter Valley Reserve Shiraz

Magenta-brown in colour. Aromas of tar, burnt leather, five spice, and cigars were interesting. The palate was on the thin side, with developed flavours and resolved tannins. Importantly, this wine was in no way oxidised, and so was still an experience (good) to drink. Would certainly drink up any if you still hold them...

Cheers,

Monghead.

oakboy

Post by oakboy »

Sandalford reserve cabernet 2007

An absolute cracker from the west. Excellent Fruit balanced with a lush structured palate. This is an excellent young MR cabernet, well worth buying a few to cellar. Can't wait for some of the big gun MR reds from 2007 to roll out!

Cheers All
Simmo

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

jeremy wrote:To bring things crashing down to earth :D

2008 De Bortoli Sem/Sav- crisp, lively, tangy, $6, why pay more on a Monday night for a food friendly SSB? Unless you love them & know them better than me that is :wink: My fav Sacred Hill ever.

Funny, I had this on Sunday night to wash down some Satay Tofu (far better than it sounds)

I'm astounded how good this is for the money; there's some simple but pure fruit flavours, some nice balance and best of all, little evidence of grape concentrate to mask the bad stuff

Great with a curry or BBQ

Also had a D'Arenberg Footbolt 2007. Ever since living in the UK, I've been a fan of D'Arenburg and the footbolt is something of a minor icon in my eyes. A little bit rustic perhaps and the black fruit a bit simple, but it's got a great structure and the tannins are big, juicy and leathery.
I'd like to see it again in another year or two to see where it's at but an hour or decant opened this up nicely
The Dog of Wine

Fortune 3rd reg. attempt

Post by Fortune 3rd reg. attempt »

I opened the second last bottle of 2007 Front Row (Clare Valley) Grenache - A Neagles Rock label "exclusive to Grays online" that was an absolute bargain at about $5/bottle, and probably enjoyed it more than the 04 Moppa Springs that my now-cancelled previous user name drank on Tuesday night.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Dutschke Oscar Semmler Shiraz 2005
Soft, rich and honest - drinking very well.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Rawshack wrote

jeremy wrote:
To bring things crashing down to earth

2008 De Bortoli Sem/Sav- crisp, lively, tangy, $6, why pay more on a Monday night for a food friendly SSB? Unless you love them & know them better than me that is My fav Sacred Hill ever.

Funny, I had this on Sunday night to wash down some Satay Tofu (far better than it sounds)

I'm astounded how good this is for the money; there's some simple but pure fruit flavours, some nice balance and best of all, little evidence of grape concentrate to mask the bad stuff

Yep, it's better than a budget ripper fer sure. Can't bring myself to TN it yet though, it's just so fresh and a blast with food. Have 08 Sem/Chards in fridge too, will look at this weekend methinks.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

2006 Lethbridge Shiraz- made me realise how much I love a little (& I mean a little!) bret in me bottle. Blended nicely with earthy fungal notes & made a fresh, juicy blackberry & spice number even better. If next bottle has no bret, I will miss it.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

I've had a few bottles of De Bortoli Sacred Hill Chardonnay 2008 recently. As mentioned earlier above, I was drawn to it because has it some medals stuck on the label, a gold at Rutherglen, silver at each of Brisbane and Hobart. The back label describes it as medium-bodied (yep) with intense (?) varietal fruit flavour and a crisp, clean finish (yep). I get a touch of grapefruit along with white peach/nectarine on the palate, and some lively acid on the finish. If there is any oak, it's subliminal. All-in-all a refreshing chardy that's emminently quaffable for the ~$5.90 I've been paying for it.

Finally got around to checking out Halliday's TN of it:

"Stone fruits and a touch of spice; clean, fresh, focused and zesty on the finish; outstanding value. Screwcap.
12.5% alc. Rating 89 Drink 2012 $7.50 Date Tasted Mar 09"

Cheers

daz

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

I was shopping for that Daz, but they didn't have it, so I went with the sem/chard instead

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

oakboy wrote:Sandalford reserve cabernet 2007

An absolute cracker from the west. Excellent Fruit balanced with a lush structured palate. This is an excellent young MR cabernet, well worth buying a few to cellar. Can't wait for some of the big gun MR reds from 2007 to roll out!

Cheers All
Simmo

I think Sandalford have been making some really underrated wines the last couple of years (well, the 05s anyway). Their reserve cab and shiraz are both though of very highly chez Loz and I'll be intrigued to see how they age.
3, 65, 7, 50

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

monghead wrote:
Loztralia wrote:
monghead wrote:

Cheers,

monghead.

Do you know anything about the Tower Barossa Shiraz? I discovered a bottle of the 2003 while doing a mini audit at the weekend and don't know if I should be pleased or not.

I think you should be quite pleased. Their Barossa shiraz is always better than their Hunter shiraz in my opinion. This often puzzled me, as they are based in the Hunter! Have not had the '03 though.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Cheers for that. Might crack it with dinner a week tomorrow and if so will report back.
3, 65, 7, 50

9redpens

Post by 9redpens »

1998 Petaluma Merlot.

Damn fine merlot. Not notes but I believe it to be a little better the 99. I’ve seen some unflattering reviews of the Petaluma merlot but I’ve had great experiences with both these vintages.

Not sure I should admit to this;
but, I thought I was opening the Cab Merlot. I didn’t pay too much attention to the label, my database said I had a cab merlot on the rack.
I wanted to taste the Cab again because a year or so back I didn’t think it was as good as the "hype", I mean I thought it was great but the greatest????

So I open it, take a few sips, sip some more, start reading the label....I read about the merlot and am expecting the label to tell me about the cabernet component next ......... :oops:

I'm sure if I wasnt such a quick reader I would have figured it instantly on the nose alone..... :lol:

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

jeremy wrote:I was shopping for that Daz, but they didn't have it, so I went with the sem/chard instead

I thought it was the ssb you had Jeremy, or have you had both the ssb and the sem/chard? I may try a bottle of the ssb as a change from chardy, on the basis of your and others' comments. Halliday's tn of the ssb makes it sound good, " with authentic tropical kiwi fruit sauvignon blanc backing up the grassy/lemony semillon."

Cheers

daz

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Didn't get the kiwi fruit, just tangy enjoyable refreshment really from SSB. Now had SSB and Sem/Chard, but not straight Chard. Sem/Chard V.good and value plus. I'll post notes on Sunday, I actually TNd it & it evolved over time. How many other $6 wines can you say that about! Tahbilk Classic White (12 for $45) wins out in value + market too. But my first real order off them will take time and saving even though they are relatively cheap in dollar terms. So much wine, so little time (and money sometimes!).

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

jeremy wrote:I actually TNd it & it evolved over time.

Does this stand for "Tasting Noted"? A new verb is born (queue angels). :shock:

Good notes though Jeremy and Daz. Be interested to see what you think of the Chardy Jeremy. We have recently been enjoying the Jacobs Creek Sauvignon Blanc at $8 a pop. Great gear (nice acid texture for an inexpensive wine). The Reisling ......... not as good.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

I've been completely decked by a virus this week (just got the OK today it's not one of the major strains of flu going around) so nothing for me.

On the plus side, I have been able to finish typing up some TNs from last month (I had to do something when I couldn't sleep).

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Michael wrote

jeremy wrote:
I actually TNd it & it evolved over time.

Does this stand for "Tasting Noted"? A new verb is born (queue angels).

Good notes though Jeremy and Daz. Be interested to see what you think of the Chardy Jeremy. We have recently been enjoying the Jacobs Creek Sauvignon Blanc at $8 a pop. Great gear (nice acid texture for an inexpensive wine). The Reisling ......... not as good.

Cheers

Michael

I keep wanting to insert an apostrophe into that verb (TN'd) not sure why :D

Agree on 08 Jacob's Creek Standard Reisling, jump up to $12 Reserve and it's a whole new ballgame (or cricket match I should say after enjoying last night's Ashes entertainmant). I'll have to have a look at the Savy, eyed it off but wasn't sure. Thanks Michael.

monghead

Post by monghead »

2006 Blain Gagnard Puligny Montrachet- This was really good. I really liked this. Tight and minerally, it also had a creamy mouthfeel and finish.
2005 La Pousse d'Or Volnay en Caillerets 1er cru- I thought this was even better, but deep down inside, I am a red bigot too... Vibrant fruit intensity with dusty, earthy, meaty undercurrents balanced by fine tannins with great length presents a magnificent balanced structure for this wine.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

jeremy wrote:Michael wrote

jeremy wrote:
I actually TNd it & it evolved over time.

Does this stand for "Tasting Noted"? A new verb is born (queue angels).

Cheers

Michael

I keep wanting to insert an apostrophe into that verb (TN'd) not sure why :D

Agree on 08 Jacob's Creek Standard Reisling, jump up to $12 Reserve and it's a whole new ballgame (or cricket match I should say after enjoying last night's Ashes entertainmant). I'll have to have a look at the Savy, eyed it off but wasn't sure. Thanks Michael.

Think I had a JC Riesling 08 not long ago, remember thinking it not as good as some of the earlier vintages - it sometimes delivers significantly above its price point . Don't recall whether I got to try it or not but the 06 was a good'un from all accounts, gold medal at the NWS. Don't think i've tried the reserve but from what I can gather, it's mostly be a step up from the standard as would be expected.

:lol: :wink: In the JC Rsv price bracket, I'd be more likely to go for a Tahbilk riesling that seems to fly below most people's radar - it's got a pretty consistent medal-winning record at shows, is up there with the roussanne as one of my favourite Tahbilk whites.

Cheers

daz