Lunch in Margaret River

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

Lunch in Margaret River

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

This might seem like a strange subject, given that I am a Western Australian who knows a lot of the MR wineries. However, more recently, we travel there to catch up with friends in the trade, and not necessarily to do the 'wine-tourist' thing.

In a couple of weeks, we will be heading down to Dunsborough for a 50th (a winemaker). The Friday night will be dinner for family & friends, at which the big guns (including a couple of Granges - he worked for Penfolds 20 years ago) will be pulled out (and we all will be raiding our cellars, too). The second night is the party, and I have spent tonight putting together some music for the iPod to keep the party cranking (to his specifications, of course, and about 1300 songs).

However, the delightful Sue and I will head down to the area on the Friday. So, here's the challenge:

If you had to go to lunch in the MR region (or even on the way down from Perth), where would you go? We've been to quite a few before, and will probably go somewhere we haven't been already, but I'd like some opinions regardless. Preferably a winery, but it doesn't have to be.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Davo

Post by Davo »

Haven't been to Xanadu for lunch for a few years but it was always good.

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

The Duckstein is supposed to be nice.

monghead

Post by monghead »

The Goose Cafe in Busselton on the way to MR is in a great setting for lunch. It overlooks the Busselton jetty, and on a sunny day, it is magic on the deck al-fresco. Then I think it is only 30mins drive onto MR...

Enjoy.

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

Vasse Felix is my favourite of the winery restaurants. Voyager good as well but the food's a notch below for mine.
3, 65, 7, 50

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

Oh, and the best view I've seen is Wise. Food not bad either.
3, 65, 7, 50

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

We had a beautiful lunch at Cullen some years back - the day and setting were close to perfect, the food was a big platter from memory.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

John #11

Post by John #11 »

On our recent trip, we had a gorgeous lunch at Knee Deep winery in MR.
They have this deal called "Trust the Chef", a 3 course meal decided on by the chef, you never know what is coming next!

Voyager was very nice as well, I would recommend the "Voyager Plate" a mixture of duck, chicken, crab, gnocchi and several other food types that I can't remember (the wines were sooo good).

The best food was at Cullen.
Previously, I just didn't get it that biodynamic and organic foods were so much nicer,but I'm definitely a convert now.

For sheer atmosphere, Vasse, Leeuwin, Xanadu and Watershed were just stunning.

Margaret River is all about Feng Shui!

ACG

Post by ACG »

Voyager by a fair margin. Excellent food and very professional service

Matt

Post by Matt »

voyager by a whisker

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Much lower key then Voyager (my pick too) but excellent and I do mean excellent food is Woodynook winery. The wines are a bit average (IMO) but it is a very friendly atmosphere and best food without going over the top. Been there three times and was brilliant each time.

Sam

dkw

Post by dkw »

1300 tunes?! At 3mins/tune that's gunna be a marathon weekend :D

We liked Clairault for lunch, but it's been a while since we went. Bunker Bay has a good view, but have only had brekky there so can't comment on lunch.

Dave.

Softie

Post by Softie »

I agree with the earlier comments about Wise's. In April this year Kerry and I had lunch on the way back to Perth at Wise. We found the outlook stunning and the food and service was above average (we're fussy).

Can't comment on others as it was our first visit to MR.

John

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Thank you all very much indeed for the replies. Now I'm going to annoy some of you perhaps:

Multiple votes for Voyager are duly noted (and I have to agree) - but we've been there (more than once), and we're looking for potentially something we haven't tried.

Wise falls into that category, as does Knee Deep (coincidently, my boss came back from a week in MR a month ago, and this is the place she talked about, for the food more than the wines) - isn't it well south of MR? The party is in Dunsborough (north end of MR wine region), but if I must, I don't mind driving further - if it is that good.

This may surprise you, given that I've been visiting MR for 3 decades (as a surfer, then a wine lover), I've never been to Leeuwin Estate. It is also well south of Dunsborough, but the website looks impressive (for the restaurant) and I've never been disappointed by the Art Series Chardonnay (and not usually by the AS Cabernet, either), although I can't afford to cellar quantities of either wine. Your opinions would be welcome, for the tasting and dining experience.

Thanks for the comments also on Cullen (lovely, and I agree with the difference biodynamics makes to the food), Vasse Felix (love the 'glossary' attached to the menu, as well as the place itself). But we've been there.

We even thought about returning to Capel Vale (great five-spice duck) - but we've been there.

So, unless we can come up with something north of Dunsborough (or nearby) we haven't been to, it could be the extra kms for Knee Deep or Leeuwin - or something else. I've been to Brookland Valley, for example, but Sue hasn't and a table overlooking the dam is lovely.

We've not been to Wills Domain, either, and have heard good things.

Any further thoughts?

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

Well Wise is very much the north end of MR wine country - it tends to be the first day lunch when I'm in the area as the morning departure from Perth means the extra half hour plus to some of the other names mentioned is rarely a popular idea...

Only been once but Lamont is quite nice as well I seem to recall.
3, 65, 7, 50

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Waiters Friend wrote:Wise falls into that category, as does Knee Deep (coincidently, my boss came back from a week in MR a month ago, and this is the place she talked about, for the food more than the wines) - isn't it well south of MR? The party is in Dunsborough (north end of MR wine region), but if I must, I don't mind driving further - if it is that good.

Allan

Hi Allan (and the lovely Sue, of course). I'd go to Wise simply for the chardonnays, Reserve Pemberton which I have tried and Single Vineyard which I havent, a further incentive for me.

Had a look at the restaurant blurb on their site, sounds pretty good but you'd expect that from in-house boosting. http://www.wisewine.com.au/restaurant.html

Cheers

daz

Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Flutes at Brookland Valley is the most consistently good lunch spot I know. If it's not too far, that's the go!
Hide the rum Captain Jack Sparrow

John #11

Post by John #11 »

Knee Deep is on Johnson Road Wilyabrup.

You can find it on Google Maps if you like, its about 20 mins North of MR, along the near-coastal road to Dunsborough. Google Maps says 28.3 km.

Cheers.