Leeuwin Estate lost its sparkle?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
JamieH

Leeuwin Estate lost its sparkle?

Post by JamieH »

I was talking to a friend about Leeuwin the other day, we thought that other than the Art Chardonnay, they seem to have lost their lustre over the last few years. Other MR wineries have seemed to catch up and are offering equal if not better wines at a lower price point eg Fraser Gallop. What do you folks think?
Lets just say I have never had a wine I've hated, but there are some I would rather not taste again....

Julio G

Post by Julio G »

can't agree, the Chardonnay is almost in its own class and the Cabernet, 2001 and now 2004, is really hitting its straps.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

07 Shiraz is excellent. 04 Cabernet - not been a better one for at least a decade. Riesling always tasty. Chardonnay still best in Australia. Maybe the other wineries are just catching up..
GW

John #11

Post by John #11 »

We went there and tasted the whole range.

06 LEAS Chardy is almost a paradigm shift but still stunning.
04 LEAS Cabernet is arguably their best ever.
07 LEAS Shiraz is pleasingly full-bodied (unlike most other light-bodied MR shiraz) - IMO the best buy.

Nice to see GW agree with me. ;)

griff

Post by griff »

John #11 wrote:We went there and tasted the whole range.

07 LEAS Shiraz is pleasingly full-bodied (unlike most other light-bodied MR shiraz) - IMO the best buy.

I think the best buy is the riesling but I must be weird to like Margaret River riesling :)

As for the topic it seems that the OP is talking purely about the chardy. If by sparkle you mean the market then perhaps one can say that LEAS chardy has lost some of its sparkle as there are some that are getting close whereas that wouldn't be the same a decade ago.

While the sparkle may be declining in the market I think the quality is as good as it ever was. Indeed, I loved the 2005 and consider it the best young chardy from Margaret River that I have tasted over the last decade. Still not sure about the 2006 yet as it is painfully young.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

For mine, the Chardy is still king of the hill, but I've never been enamoured with any of their reds. That having been said, I haven't had the 04 cab which appears to be a winner based on the aforementioned comments.

Mike

griff

Post by griff »

Mike Hawkins wrote:For mine, the Chardy is still king of the hill, but I've never been enamoured with any of their reds. That having been said, I haven't had the 04 cab which appears to be a winner based on the aforementioned comments.

Mike

Worth a look Mike. 04 was kind to it. Good balance.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

griff wrote:

I think the best buy is the riesling but I must be weird to like Margaret River riesling :)

Carl

G'day Carl,

I agree the LEAS Riesling is OK (although I had a retailer a few years ago top me up to a dozen with this when he couldn't fill all of my dozen Pewsey Vale), but if you really like MR Riesling, give the Ashbrook a go. It's a cracker, and not just by MR standards. I've always said the Devitt family have made their wines with pristine fruit, and perhaps the riesling demonstrates that the best.

I also opened a rare 2003 dessert Riesling (perhaps the only one they ever made) in the last few months and it was .... what's that word again?.... pristine. Sensational.

Well, for MR riesling, anyway :lol:

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

griff

Post by griff »

Waiters Friend wrote:
griff wrote:

Carl

G'day Carl,

I agree the LEAS Riesling is OK (although I had a retailer a few years ago top me up to a dozen with this when he couldn't fill all of my dozen Pewsey Vale), but if you really like MR Riesling, give the Ashbrook a go. It's a cracker, and not just by MR standards. I've always said the Devitt family have made their wines with pristine fruit, and perhaps the riesling demonstrates that the best.

I also opened a rare 2003 dessert Riesling (perhaps the only one they ever made) in the last few months and it was .... what's that word again?.... pristine. Sensational.

Well, for MR riesling, anyway :lol:

Cheers

Allan

Snap!

I like all of Ashbrook's whites! The riesling is definitely up there for me as well.

cheers

Carl

Davo

Post by Davo »

griff wrote:

cheers

Carl

I may be wrong, but from memory the rizza juice comes from the Frankland.

griff

Post by griff »

Davo wrote:
griff wrote:

cheers

Carl

I may be wrong, but from memory the rizza juice comes from the Frankland.

They definitely have Riesling vines on the property. Not to say that they exclusively use them to make the wine perhaps?

cheers

Carl

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

I don't get the Reisling. Could just be me.
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

JamieH

Post by JamieH »

MMMM, looks like my friend and i need to get into some current vintage Leeuwin reds, haven't tried a few you've mentioned. Got to love this
Forum...
Lets just say I have never had a wine I've hated, but there are some I would rather not taste again....

John #11

Post by John #11 »

I thought the Leeuwin riesling was passable, but nothing to write home about. A long way behind Clare Valley and Barossa Valley rieslings.

I know this sounds very parochial, but it's not meant to be, just meant to be objective.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

griff wrote:

I think the best buy is the riesling but I must be weird to like Margaret River riesling :) :mrgreen:

Some of it is excellent :!:
Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

griff

Post by griff »

John #11 wrote:I thought the Leeuwin riesling was passable, but nothing to write home about. A long way behind Clare Valley and Barossa Valley rieslings.

I know this sounds very parochial, but it's not meant to be, just meant to be objective.

I like them as well. And Great Southern and Tasmanian for that matter :)

cheers

Carl