Late nights, Early morning... It's a naughty school night...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
griff

Post by griff »

ross67 wrote:
griff wrote:
ross67 wrote:Penfold's Kalimna 28 1996: Good but also slowly declining

That's a shame. Is/was a cracking wine. Do you know what the storage was like?

cheers

Carl

Yes not sure about storage Carl as it was a friends one off purchase.
Everything was sound with the wine with perfect cork.
It just wasn't inspiring

I would drink the '98 anyday over it. The '98 imo still seems to be on the way up.

Have you tried the '96??

ross

Bought a case of it for $17. Those were the days :) Drank them all now or perhaps there is a bottle left back in Sydney but the last bottle I had 18 months ago didn't have any sign of declining and if anything was just entering the zone. Could have changed since then. Mind you the 98 had last month was great as well.

Bottle variation perhaps?

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

ross67

Post by ross67 »

Yes you are probably right Carl

ross

Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

ross67 wrote:
griff wrote:
ross67 wrote:Penfold's Kalimna 28 1996: Good but also slowly declining

That's a shame. Is/was a cracking wine. Do you know what the storage was like?

cheers

Carl

Yes not sure about storage Carl as it was a friends one off purchase.
Everything was sound with the wine with perfect cork.
It just wasn't inspiring

I would drink the '98 anyday over it. The '98 imo still seems to be on the way up.

Have you tried the '96??

ross

I tried both over recent months and the 96 has years ahead of it; I'm storing mine at 13 degree - so no storage problems. But I agree with Ross, the 98 is more than a shade above the 96. I haven't had a problem with either so far.

Ray D.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Had a truly excellent 98 Peter Lehmann Cabernet Savignon last night. Deep rich red with a purple heart. On the nose, rich plums, blood and a bit of green capsicum. On the palate, more plums laced with a subtle licorice and dark chocolate. Very delicate and elegant structure. Really beautiful medium bodied wine. This sums up everything good about cellaring wine. This was only around $10 on release but has paid back in spades. 94
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

Michael McNally wrote:
xsorxpire wrote:C'mon Monghead you just made it more difficult...

I cracked a 97 Sandalford Cabernet tonight.
I am searching for some sort of understanding.

I decanted and straight away poured a sample.
Cherries were overpowered by a tightening of the tongue.

Ten minutes later there was more berry and still a tightening of thw tongue.

Ten minutes again and the flavour of plum was evident. But the tongue still tightened.

Ten minutes more and the tongue stopped tightening. But the flavour had dropped.

By the time forty five minutes had passed there was no tightening of the tongue, no flavour and all that was left was an oily finish.

Is this normal and if so what does it mean?

Cheers.
XS.

Given this was a 12 year old......

What was the colour like. Was it dark? Or was it lighter more like a rose? It's hard from what you wrote to guess, but I suspect a bottle that hasn't been stored well and simply fell apart in the decanter. Tightening of the toungue could mean tannin or it could be vinegar.

I would suggest with the next bottle:
1) Have a look at the cork - Is it dry/crumbly? Is it stained along the sides? Is it tight in the bottle (hard to extract)?
2) What is the depth of colour is it goes into the decanter - dark and difficult to see through like a regular/young wine or is it light and see through?
3) What do you smell? Is it sharp? Are there any wet cardboard smells (which might indicate something else)?

Cheers

Michael

The cork was dry and crumbly. It broke in the bottle.
The colour was still dark(ish) and not see through. In fact it was no less dark than others I have that are ten years old.
The tightening of the tongue was tannins. The wine no real flavour at all in the end.
The cork had a faint wet cork aroma. But the wine did not taste corked. (based on having had a couple of bad bottles previously ).

As for storage, I bought it at the cellar door six months ago, brought it home and stuck it in a thermo-electric wine fridge at twelve degrees.
I pulled it out to drink it.
I am taking more time to smell the wine after reading this thread.

Thank you for some more direction Michael.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

If you only bought it six months ago from the cellar door and have stored it correctly I would ask them for a refund. Particularly if you open another bottle with the same results.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Eurocentric

Post by Eurocentric »

Did you let it warm up or just poured it at 12C?

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

Probably had half an hour to an hour sitting on the bench prior to opening.

Would this make a difference?

Last night over dinner with friends we drank an 04 and an 05 Kay brothers Hillside shiraz.
The 04 was delightful. One of my friends commented on christmas pudding.
A wonderful blackberry with hints of chocolate.
(I think they are the only things I get)...
The 05 had strong tannins and though there was a balance to the flavour it was no where near the same as the 04 nor the 03 I drank earlier in the week.

I wanted to try both as Kay Brothers are putting out their newsletter at the end of august.

The 04 was lovely. The 05 still too young.