Sunday for the second time in July....

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

Sunday for the second time in July....

Post by TORB »

Hi Good Peoples,

Its that time of the week again. Time to let us know what you have been consuming over the last week. Lists, vibes, impressions and tasting notes all welcome.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

monghead

Post by monghead »

Hi all,

2007 Port Philip Estate Pinot Noir
Hmmm, rather disjointed acid, tannins and a dry iodine/zinc type finish making this quite unsatisfying.

2005 Domaine Laurent Roumier Bourgogne
Much better than above. Lively, vibrant fruit flavours with brambly undertones finishing with fine integrated tannins.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Softie

Post by Softie »

Three recent drinkies stand out for me:

94 Leasingham Reserve Sparkling Shiraz

The best sparkling Shiraz I have ever tasted. And I opened it up on our wedding anniversary on Friday!!! Thank you to the wine Gods ... AND

I'm pretty sure one of my guests at our recent dinner party [Monghead, Bachebabe or 9RedPens] brought this over as cover & it was sitting in the fridge. BOY how clever was I not to serve this on the night! :) :wink:

[I agree with JH note:] Fruity, spicy on the nose. Rich and voluptuous palate flowing with plum, cherry, ... extended age [has taken] the wine into another class. Four trophies and 12 gold medals ...

OK, would my benefactor please own up because I WANT YOU AND OTHER HALF OVER FOR DINNER AGAIN ... NO ARGUMENTS!

98 Tahbilk Shiraz

Impression: lovely soft, mid-weight fruit and tannins. Just a beautiful harmonius package; well aged and a delight to drink.

06 Carpineto Dogajolo (Sangiovase/CS, Tuscany)

Well under $20 and easily obtained. Simple, delightful Sanga when a savoury hit is preferred to a Aussie fruit hit.

John

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

2007 Greedy Sheep Cab/Merlot- fleshy, friendly and plush, but some complexity via oak and structure (stalky tannins). Plums, red berries, leaf, balck olives & spice. Good length. I suspect that the oak will integrate over the short-mid term. Gluggable but more than that too. Newish winery. Reckon they could aim for more than they seem to now. It became more savoury over time (I like) and stood proud on day 2.

2005 Seppelt Chalambar Shiraz Magnum- very demanding and complex. Not ready to go yet, but enjoyable in a more masochistic sense. Twiggy (I stole that from CM, hope he forgives me, it's bang on). If interested, subscribe to The Wine Front where this is written up very well.

2004 Brown Brothers "Patricia" Pinot Noir Chardonnay & Pinot Meunier
- I love champagne and sparkling but am crap at describing them. This is great and better than the last three releases. It's balanced and long and I reckon it may get even better with time.

Macedon NV Brut Cuvée XII NV- tastes like a Macedon. Bit of a brut(e) next to the Patricia (sorry for the lame pun :roll: ) but I like it a lot.

2007 Te Henga Sauvignon Blanc- with the right company and a good salad, I enjoyed this despite myself. Herbs and Grass over the gooseberry and passionfruit. Zippy.

2008 Jacob's Creek "Reserve" Reisling- top value and more. Had with oysters au natural and it was great fun.

2005 St Hallet Reisling- 1st bottle, good for drinking now, as a $15 Reisling with aged characters and only a hint of kero. 2nd bottle, no good, kero stripped other flavours.

Edit: Softie wrote
our wedding anniversary on Friday

Congrats! The 94 Leasingham sounds delish. And as a side note, it was my bro's 9th anniversary last Thursday, they are getting married next Feb. My Ma & Pa's 45th wedding anniversary yesterday. And my girlfriend and my 1 month anniversary yesterday (a little too soon to celebrate, but the co-incindences gave me a chuckle :) )
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

griff

Post by griff »

jeremy wrote:Macedon NV Brut Cuvée XII NV- tastes like a Macedon. Bit of a brut(e) next to the Patricia (sorry for the lame pun :roll: ) but I like it a lot.

Tastes like a Mastodon? :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

monghead

Post by monghead »

Softie wrote:Three recent drinkies stand out for me:

94 Leasingham Reserve Sparkling Shiraz

The best sparkling Shiraz I have ever tasted. And I opened it up on our wedding anniversary on Friday!!! Thank you to the wine Gods ... AND

I'm pretty sure one of my guests at our recent dinner party [Monghead, Bachebabe or 9RedPens] brought this over as cover & it was sitting in the fridge. BOY how clever was I not to serve this on the night! :) :wink:

[I agree with JH note:] Fruity, spicy on the nose. Rich and voluptuous palate flowing with plum, cherry, ... extended age [has taken] the wine into another class. Four trophies and 12 gold medals ...

OK, would my benefactor please own up because I WANT YOU AND OTHER HALF OVER FOR DINNER AGAIN ... NO ARGUMENTS!

John

Heya John,

Yeah... I had forgot we brought that over incase the '96 Pol Roger was corked.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Happy anniversary!

Cheers,

Monghead.

griff

Post by griff »

A few brief impressions from Friday night. Saturday night was beer night.

1994 Heggies Riesling: Insipid. Primary flavours faded but nothing secondary replacing them. Drinkable.

1994 Goundrey Reserve RieslingStarted off with a bang with rich intense toasty grilled lime flavours. Ends with a whimper after an hour when it starts to fall over. Very Good for an hour though.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Brezza Cannubi Barbera d'Alba 2004
Excellent wine - lively nose redolent of cherries, chewing gum, sarsparilla and raspberries, the palate equally cosy, nice texture, mouthfeel, the whole earthy real-deal.

Mitchell Cabernet Sauvignon 2005
A completely different animal, quite minty, almost cough-medicine medicinal with tongue rasping tannins and a wall of fruit. Enjoyable but lacking the subtlety of the Italian.

Mountadam Estate Chardonnay 2006
Reliable wine, very up-front although seems to have lost some of the X factor it had a few months back. Still rather good value for the quality.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

2006 Sons of Eden "Zephyrus" Barossa Valley Shiraz Viognier. SC. 15%. $30.
Black red with purple at the rim.
Sweet floral nose - no overt viognier here.
Slippery, supple black plum fruit. Lovely balance and length. A real focus to the fruit. Not overblown. This could age well no doubt, but would be lucky to last a week in my possession. Excellent.
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

dlo

Post by dlo »

Alain Hudelot-Noellat's 1993 Vosne-Romanee 1er Cru "Les Suchot" - resplendent with a mature rusty red translucence but from there the wine delivers a much more youthful persona, opening with a heavenly nose of seamlessly integrated satsuma plum, black cherry, pinot sap, cardamon, brown truffle, damp earth and subtle background savoury oak. Similarly endowed in the mouth with gorgeous fruit overlying complex secondary characters and a wonderful lively structure of mouth-watering acidity and ripe tannins that provide excellent grip and focus on the medium-bodied palate. Hudelot-Noellat have crafted an elegant and age-worthy pinot noir with their 1993 Suchot - a wine brimming with svelte but compelling flavour, appealing complexity and fine length, that drinks extremely well now but will continue to offer much pleasure for quite some years to come. 93 points. 13.5% A/V. Sealed with a very long, good quality cork.

2005 Orlando Steingarten Riesling - a stunning wine albeit somewhat too infantile but loaded with an incredible array of discernible nuance, bucket-loads of acidity and exceptional length.

1988 Orlando Coonawarra St Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon - just like the last bottle of this beauty I opened for a long-standing friend some months back, this wine continues to hang in there with considerable aplomb. Seemingly superbly stored over the years, the cork has minimal wine staining and extracted in one piece without a hitch. The wine is only light- to medium-bodied but retains remarkable freshness with its 12% A/V, high natural acidity and elegant cool climate cabernet fruit. A remarkable effort for 21 year-old juice.

I will report back on both of these with a more detailed tasting note in due course.
Cheers,

David

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

2000 Louis Roederer Cristal Champagne

Lovelly upfront Grape fruit and sherbert Lollies as it warmed up a little strawberries and lime , refreshing and very long on the finish, Extremeley Agressive so time is what it may need to bring out its best than had it with Thia chicken Curry and brought out some fantastic whisky flavours :shock: The length was over a minute allowing some bliss and good fortune to be had by all :!: ( Marg and myself really)

07 Heartland Dolcetto and Lagrein Dark cherries , very drinkable and wasnt a wine i would normally try but has anyone heard of Lagrein as a grape variety because i had not :o Not for long term cellaring mind you a couple of years and it would be very good as this was a touch raw for me :mrgreen:

04 Henry Holmes Barossa shiraz I got this on super special i think normally around 25 a bottle for half price now a little more time wouldnt go astray on this has the usual flavours and later on some coffee mocha was well and truly happening , Nice but thats all

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Griff wrote
jeremy wrote:
Macedon NV Brut Cuvée XII NV- tastes like a Macedon. Bit of a brut(e) next to the Patricia (sorry for the lame pun ) but I like it a lot.

Tastes like a Mastodon?

cheers

Carl

:lol: Had to google that! Noice one Carl. And yes, from the pics and descriptions on Wiki, it did have a bit of Mastedon in it I'd reckon.
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

dlo

Post by dlo »

Further to my earlier post, detailed notes on the two Orlando's opened last night.

Firstly, the 2005 Orlando Steingarten Riesling is now labelled the Jacob's Creek Steingarten Barossa Riesling. Bad move, IMHO. Jacob's Creek has always been associated with an entry level quaffer. Trying to raise it's status to Orlando's premium label is just rank stupid. The colour is a very bright but incredibly youthful pale straw with a very light green tinge, a bouquet that literally soars from the glass offering up intense musk, herb and under-ripe pines over a solid core of minerals, wet stones and a strong undercurrent of lime and kaffir leaf. The palate is a little spiky with slightly phenolic chalky/minerally acidity yet to integrate with the tightly-coiled lime and herb-tinged fruit. Currently in what I call "Tyson's hole", a transitional phase between the floral primary and toasty/honeyed secondary stages where the wine can tend to become somewhat unfocused, disjointed and compartmentalized. At this point of its life, I'm loathe to score the wine over 90 points but I'm almost certain this wine will come into its own with another 3-4 years sleep in a dark, cool place. I've left a reasonable quantity in the fridge for another 24 hours rest and I'll report back on any significant developments tomorrow night. Sealed with a screw cap, 12.5% A/V and obviously built for the long haul, this excellent riesling revealed immense potential with a drinking window predicted between 2013 and 2020+. Please note - I rated this wine slightly higher last night and slightly higher again at release. Expect it to regain most of that ground in several years time.

The Orlando St Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon 1988 is a most impressive mature Coonawarra red blessed with remarkable staying power. Now opened for over 24 hours, there has been, astonishingly, almost no degradation in quality. If anything, I'm enjoying it more tonight! The colour is a rusty red with a solid light ruby core and plenty of bricking towards the edges. The sensational elegant bouquet boasts a bevy of immaculately presented descriptors - weedy blackcurrants, cedar, iodine, beef blood, capsicum, herbs, sweet earth, licorice and saddle leather. The palate lithe and silky, of light- to medium body, superbly honed, sweet-fruited with ample counterbalancing greener notes (aka the nose) but with an eerie dose of lively acidity retaining a wonderful sense of freshness and vigour and, no doubt, to aid more longevity. The ripe tannins are now rounded and fully resolved but still perfectly meshed to the wine's overall personality - smooth, generous and ohso long but housed in a marvellous slender but well-wrought frame. 93 points. A drink now proposition for sure, but somehow I think this might keep keeping on for another five, and quite possibly a few more years, if cellaring has been of the highest order. A classic Coonawarra Cabernet in the old mould. Bravo.
Cheers,

David

monghead

Post by monghead »

2005 Clos Petite Bellante Valreas Cotes du Rhone

Great savoury nose with dark cherries, pepper, violets, and panchetta. However, the palate was very disappointing. Thin, short, and un-interesting. Oh well, hit and miss in the 25 dollar old world range.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Muscat Mike

???????

Post by Muscat Mike »

griff wrote:
jeremy wrote:Macedon NV Brut Cuvée XII NV- tastes like a Macedon. Bit of a brut(e) next to the Patricia (sorry for the lame pun :roll: ) but I like it a lot.

cheers

Carl

Carl,
did not think you old enough to have tasted Mastodon :shock: :lol:
Mike.

Tucker Wine Studios

Post by Tucker Wine Studios »

Back from the bush...

Castagna Genesis Syrah 2005: for me a fantastic drinking pleasure; wild blackberries and some other sweeter-riper berry fruits, chocolate, meaty-gamey savouriness, good concentration and depth. Interesting that the ratings for this wine are fairly controversial.

Old Kent River Pinot Noir 2004: Brick red, deliciously fragrant, soft and silky. Was great with the butter chicken. Great wine in its current slightly matured state.

Wooing Tree Central Otago Pinot Noir 2005: Wow…surprisingly powerful and rich, warm and embracing but also with some roars, bordering on shiraz-like spiciness. Would love to taste the following vintages.

Talijancich Gracianao 2005: A little bit walking on the wild side, acidity is poking out a bit. A wine that demands some food, possibly best with a rustic Italian/French/Spanish/German dish.

Oliver’s Taranga Vineyards Grenache 2006: Delicious warm and spicy winter wine, loved it.

Pondalowie Special Release Tempranillo 2003: Luscious vanilla oak, chocolate, prunes, spices. Another winter wine and probably the best Australian Tempranillo I have had so far.

Gomersal Barossa Valley Grenache Shiraz Mataro 2005: Pretty good but can’t remember too much about this wine. I think it was a little bit average and somewhat inexpressive (unlike their gorgeous Shiraz).

Burge Family G3 Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre 2002: I am so glad that I bought this wine from auction when it was recently on offer because it’s a fan-bloody-tastic wine.
Actually, I’m just kidding, this wine is complete crap, way past its peak, and super awful…somebody out there who wants to get rid of their cellar stash of this wine…? :roll:

Frogmore Creek Iced Riesling 2007: Bought because I was curious how this wine might taste. Well, it’s lemony and moderately sweet, refreshing but not very complex. Better as an aperitif, not so much a dessert wine. Expected more.

McWilliams Riverina Botrytis Semillon 2001: Now this is a true dessert wine. Unctuous, viscous, and really sweet. Enormously rich and concentrated, lots of dried apricot, plus botrytis and rancio aromas, it’s so bloody good now. According to some wine critics already way beyond the suggested drinking window, something I strongly disagree with based on the present performance of this wine. Would love to have some more bottles and try them in five…ten…fifteen…etc years. Outstanding.

Cheers,
Mario (back in the bush soon...)

griff

Re: ???????

Post by griff »

Muscat Mike wrote:
griff wrote:

cheers

Carl

Carl,
did not think you old enough to have tasted Mastodon :shock: :lol:
Mike.

On ice ;)

cheers

Carl

platinum

Post by platinum »

Tucker Wine Studios wrote:
Frogmore Creek Iced Riesling 2007: Bought because I was curious how this wine might taste. Well, it’s lemony and moderately sweet, refreshing but not very complex. Better as an aperitif, not so much a dessert wine. Expected more.

[,

I am far from a bagger of Aus wines (infact I think theres many wines we do the best) but the couple of Ice Wines I tried so far have nothing on good Canadian Ice Wines.

jacques

Post by jacques »

This week I had

Yalumba Signature 1991, excellent wine, good to drink now, value for money

Orlando Centenary Hill 1994, still very powerful, may need to keep for another couple years.

Coldstream Hill Reserve PN 1995 & 1996, both are still very enjoyable and personally I like the 95 more. Hard to believe that the Australia Pinot can able to age for that long period of time.

Joe Cz

Post by Joe Cz »

July is mainly white wine season here in the northern hemisphere.

JJ Prum 2007 Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett: Lovely stuff that should last a while; decant if drinking now to help get rid of the sweaty socks stink.

Egon Muller 2007 Scharzhofberg Riesling Kabinett: Lighter and leaner; more delicate, but with powerful acidity.

Ch. de Nalys 2006 Chateauneuf du Pape: Broad, neutralish, bit boring.

And one red: Chapoutier & Terlato 2006 lieu dit Malakoff Shiraz Heathcote: Great floral aromas, blueberries; lighter in weight than most Aussies but not wimpy, savory espresso and olive notes.
Joe Czerwinski

via collins

Post by via collins »

2002 Turkey Flat Cabernet Sauvignon - cherry red, leather & blackberries, warm & expansive. Touch too much fruit in the end, but a great drink while the cold rain crashed outside

2003 Kay's Amery Hillside Shiraz - no notes, beginning of a long night, but rich, notes of coffee, chocolate. Tremendous.

2005 Pondalowie "Blend" - Dark blood red in colour, not expressive on opening, but quickly settled into a deep and satisfying drink. I wish I had a bunch of these away for quaffing. Very classy.

2004 Tahbilk Cabernet Sauvignon
- real surprise packet. An hour after opening opened up showing all the earthy tones I hope for whenever I open a bottle of Tahbilk. Tremendous red fruit at the front, and a nice length that just got better through the evening. Left a tiny bit aside in the bottle, and it held qualities beautifully for drinking 4 days later. Very glad there's several of these away for the winters ahead.

John #11

Post by John #11 »

2007 Houghton Pemberton Chardonnay
Has markedly improved with just a few months more in bottle.
Now quite an intense slatey / minerally taste, lovely pure white peach and nectarine fruits, and some toasty nuts.
A lot of wine for the money.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

Kirrihill Langhorne Creek shiraz 2005.

An enjoyable red with lovely, chewy, particulate tannins, and good, dark berry fruit, with a hint of cherry.

Notably in very good shape after being opened for two days, a good sign for cellaring.

Bellbrae geelong longboard shiraz 2005.

Lovely wine, enticing nose (ever so slightly stalky), great structure, finishing very long and focused, capsicum, berry fruit on the mid-palate.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Not sure what's going on lately but it seems most of my weekends are being spent drinking a lot of beer with the wine mostly happening midweek at home. I need to stay in more!

Anyway at the fabulous Carlisle Castle in Newtown, which I really shouldn't be advertising as it's already way too crowded, we had a 06 Vasse Felix Cabernet Merlot. A quick search shows this as a $20 bottle most places yet it was only $25 in the pub bistro. At the top end of the wine list, the prices seemed to be marginally above retail, which was a nice surpise.

So I had a glass or two of this between beers and it was certainly nice enough but not nice enough to stop me drinking beer - it was going to be a long afternoon so I didn't want to slide under the tale. Good weight and length, nice dark berry fruit with a lick of anise. Good value and decent drinking. Would probably improve wih a bit more time. 87
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Tucker Wine Studios

Post by Tucker Wine Studios »

Hi Platinum,

Tucker Wine Studios wrote:

I am far from a bagger of Aus wines (infact I think theres many wines we do the best) but the couple of Ice Wines I tried so far have nothing on good Canadian Ice Wines.

Well, JH was full of praise for their Iced Gewurtstraminer and rated it fairly high. Unfortunately, I had not the chance to taste it. The Frogmore Creek Iced Riesling actually has 170 g/L residual sugar but due to the 9.7 g/L acidity it does not taste very sweet. However, sugar and acidity is not everything and personally I thought that the flavour profile was not too inspiring. I can only compare to some German ice wines, the grapes of which are harvested extremely late and are often botrytis affected (or at least partly). So these German harvest conditions are very different from the Tasmanian harvest conditions and that might make the difference. In addition, I also believe that vinification methods are different (Frogmore Creek give some info here: http://www.frogmorecreek.com.au/fc07iced.html). But I am not saying that all German ice wines are great. Indeed I also had some fairly ordinary ones. Just for completeness: Frogmore Creek also have a Wellington Iced Riesling 2005 on their webpage (http://www.frogmorecreek.com.au/w05iced.html).

As iced wines are not made very often in Australia I am always keen on tasting them and even if they are not the greatest examples in the world I highly appreciate the effort of the wineries in making them and I want to encourage wineries to make from time to time unconventional wines. Who knows, one day with increasing knowledge and experience, they will make a stunning wine.

I had only one Canadian ice wine so far, the Inniskillan Vidal Ice Wine, which I think was good but not spectacular. Other Canadian ice wines are hard to get here in Australia (I think).

Cheers,
Mario

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Thanks Jacques - I was thinking of opening a 91 Signature some time in the next month myself.

As for me, another bottle of 1988 Dom Perignon. This one was a little softer and further advanced than the previous one. Quite a grassy and caramel nose, reasonable length and lovely mouthfeel.

I also had one glass of a 2002 Wolf Blass Black Label. It was less oaky and more elegant than I expected, and has a long life in front of it.

Cheers

Mike

RedVelvet

Happy Birthday to Me!

Post by RedVelvet »

Well Friday night was my birthday dinner night and although i did not take notes on this occassion here is a list of some of the wines my friends and i enjoyed.

Pommeroy NV
Krug NV
Lanson 1996 Magnum
Mesh Riesling 2003
Shaw and Smith M3 Chardonnay Magnum 2004
Waverley Estate Chardonnay 1996
Waverley Estate Semillon 1996
Glaetzer Jonh's Blend Shiraz no8 2002
Hares Chase Shiraz 2002
O'leary Walker Shiraz 2006
Mcwilliams Maurice O'Shea 2003
Peter Lehman Stonewell Shiraz 1999
Wirra Wirra Chook Block Shiraz 1998
Pieroth Beeranauslese 1977
Morris of Rutherglen Grand Tokay
Dr Loosen Auslese 1999 Half bottle

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Happy birthday. Pleased to see you didn't hold back.
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Michael McNally wrote:Happy birthday. Pleased to see you didn't hold back.

Thanks Michael :)

Certainly no holding back and im sure there were a few more wines in there too but it was one of those evenings where it all now seems a little hazy.