NWR: Smartphones

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Glen

NWR: Smartphones

Post by Glen »

Hi All

How many people here have a smartphone specifically an iPhone?

ACG

Post by ACG »

Yep.

Opinion? Great for games/apps and for a decent web browser. Average as an actual phone.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

I've got a phone that's smarter than an iPhone. I've been able to send MMS, take video and take 5mb pictures for 18 months. As well as the more mundane email, internet including facebook and twitter, bluetooth, excellent contacts setup, games, songs, radio, tv, oh, and make calls and send sms.

Sony Ericsson K850i but the new 903 is even better. It also has GPS which I don't have.

The iPhone is now nearly coming close to my functionality but its huge and a bit tricky to slip into your pocket. It's certainly got the best user interface going but it's still got some way to go to be the 'smartest' phone on the market. The huge memory is probably it's biggest feature. But then it's really an iPod with a phone and internet rather than a fully fetaured phone with an ipod.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Boyeah

Post by Boyeah »

ACG wrote:Yep.

Opinion? Great for games/apps and for a decent web browser. Average as an actual phone.

Been using an iphone since Jul 08, pretty ordinary as a phone, great for anything else, Copy & Paste function is very good, also can recorded voice send Via MMS or email, heaps of softwares, the new 3gs is even better.
Cheers
Boyeah
Everyday is a bonus! Drink the best wine you can afford.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

I use a HTC TyTnII, old tech now, but it works well and it has GPS. Next upgrade with probably be a HTC Touch Pro2.
For playing video/music I have a 4.3" screen PMP sourced from Hon Kong.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

silkwood

Post by silkwood »

I have the HTC Touch Diamond. Prior to this I had the HTC (iMate) with slide out qwerty (stolen in Mumbai!). The touch diamond is very compact, runs powerpoint well (which I need for my work) and has a great screen. Also has a very good "sub" qwerty keyboard which works well for note-taking, as well as GPS. I would have purchased the HTC Touch, but wanted to spend less money as I'm waiting to see what the Palm Pre is like (was a palm fan from years back but never liked the TREO).

The iPhone is getting closer to my needs, but still has an awkward keyboard and does Office less well (IMHO).

Cheers,

Mark
Cheers,

Mark

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

iPhone for me but not had it long. Very useful little device. And nice to look at as well...
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

pcjm

Post by pcjm »

Nokia N95 for the phone related stuff, Ipod touch for the entertainment and together they are still smaller than the Iphone

Davo

Post by Davo »

HTC Touch Cruise here. All the internet features & email, GPS, Windows Mobile, and woks well as a phone. Heaps of memory with the SD Micro 8gb chip whacked in, so it carries all my music as well. Had it for a year now and no thought about changing as it does everything I need and does them well. Battery life is also excellent.

TORB

Post by TORB »

I have an HTC Touch HD. Fantastic phone with with all you could want. Its basically an iPhone and Blackberry (with inbuilt GPS) all in one.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Lee

Post by Lee »

Another HTC TyTnII..... great PDA, great mini-PC really.... ordinary mobile phone!
cheers,
Lee

Glen

Post by Glen »

Great feedback, thanks everyone.

I bought an iPhone recently and am contemplating putting the Essential Wine Tasting Guide into an App for the App store. Was curious about the number of people using iPhones rather than other smartphones. Could cover both I suppose but my understanding is that the App stores for the others is very basic currently.

Just have to get my head around whether people will hold a phone in one hand and a glass of wine in the other.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Hey Glen, I certainly would. It would be quite a handy mobile reference tool. I must say, it is annoying the number of apps that have been written for the iPhone and the lack of apps for other phones. Even just a simple web page would mean easy access but very few people are doing it for some reason.

The three things I want to be able to do the most on my phone, that I can't currentty do are:
#1 Internet banking - just account balance info and transfers between accounts.
#2 The ability to program my VCR/PVR remotely
#3 The ability to turn on my electric blanket remotely.

I know you can do #2 with a IQ box from foxtel but I don't have that (and don't want it). So there must be someone smart out therre who can build the interfaces for these things to work. I'll buy them when you do!
Cheers,
Kris

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Lee wrote:Another HTC TyTnII..... great PDA, great mini-PC really.... ordinary mobile phone!

And another. Also have a Nokia N82.

TORB

Post by TORB »

bacchaebabe wrote:
The three things I want to be able to do the most on my phone, that I can't currentty do are:

Hi Kris,

I can do that on my Touch HD without any issues (I use Opera, not IE on mine.)
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

TORB wrote:
bacchaebabe wrote:

Hi Kris,

I can do that on my Touch HD without any issues (I use Opera, not IE on mine.)

Actually, this is more bank dependent than phone dependent and my bank doesn't offer it although some do. I can log into my account but then it just stops.
Cheers,
Kris