What to do with a whole lot of so-so wine

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
PaulG

What to do with a whole lot of so-so wine

Post by PaulG »

Well, as some of you may recall, we had one of my value wine nights last week, and I've still got about 4 half bottles of so-so wine here that I'm not likely to drink.

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions/recipes that we could use so that the wine doesn't go to waste!

So far our thoughts are Sangria, or poached pears and rhubarb.

Cheers!
P

Davo

Post by Davo »

Weed killer.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Paul, if they are from more than 2 days ago, I'll have to agree with davo.....

Cheers,

Monghead.

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

lol, that's what I said to Jaz, but she's convinced they'd be okay for cooking - she may well be the taste-tester for anything we do make!

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Jelly.

Gently boil the alcohol off the wine, add 200 to 300g of white sugar per full bottle, let it cool, soak some gelatin leaves and stir it in. Cool, refrigerate, set, eat.

Castagna Rose Jelly is my favourite. Expensive but horrible rose. Very nice Jelly however.

AB

griff

Post by griff »

Time to make a big batch of ragu! :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

Seafood risotto or soup if you have spare white. Coq au vin, beef stew or occy in red wine if red (obviously!) :)

Cheers

Dave

Blue

Re: What to do with a whole lot of so-so wine

Post by Blue »

PaulG wrote:Well, as some of you may recall, we had one of my value wine nights last week, and I've still got about 4 half bottles of so-so wine here that I'm not likely to drink.

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions/recipes that we could use so that the wine doesn't go to waste!

So far our thoughts are Sangria, or poached pears and rhubarb.

Cheers!
P

Obviously you drank too much. Use the leftover wine to cure your hangover the next day :twisted:

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

Poached pears are good. What about mulled wine? I like to splash red wine into Spag Bol too. Winey meatloaf is good for a lazy winter weekend.

Broughy

Post by Broughy »

Freeze it in plastic and defrost to use as required. Also good for leftovers from big nights

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

A Nice Beef Burgundy Pie Would be lovely

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

sparky

Post by sparky »

Oxtail (if reds)

1/2 to a bottle of wine, 1/2 an orange and all the other usual stuff (onion, bay etc)

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

I always give the stuff to my neighbours when they do things like empty our bins when we're not there.

However, they're misanthropic ne'er-do-wells that would drink weed killer to get 'out of it' as youngsters today are so prone to do.

Need a good short sharp shock. Bring back national service, that's what I say
The Dog of Wine

Wycroft

Post by Wycroft »

I tend to use wine in this category for making beef stock, which I then freeze in ice cube trays and add to dishes through the winter.

Get a really big pot.

Roast about three or four kilos of beef marrow bones for about 90 minutes at about 200 degrees, to get lots of caramelisation on the base of the roasting dish.

Remove the bones and put them in the pot.

Add some wine to the roasting dish and use a wooden spoon to push off all the lovely caramelised juices from the pan.

Pour the results into the pot.

Add to the pot lots of chopped carrots and celery and two heads of garlic chopped in half.

Add fistfuls of thyme and rosemary.

Salt and Pepper.

A tube of tomato paste.

Another one of those bottles of past-it wine.

Then add water to bring it up to within an inch of the top of the pot.

Bring to the boil.

Once boiling, reduce to a simmer.

Leave for between six and eight hours.

Remove the bones.

Put the pot outside on a cold night.

In the morning remove the inch-thick layer of set, orange fat from the surface and bin it.

What remains will be a cold jelly.

Return the pot to the heat.

As the jelly melts begin straining out the other solids with a slotted spoon - carrots, celery, herbs, garlic - and once you've removed most of them turn the heat up high and reduce the stock by half.

Then pour the hot stock through a sieve (to get any last solids) into a pyrex jug or similar.

Then, pour the stock into cube trays or freezable bags.

This is the sort of stock restaurants like to call "demi" (half) glaze.

Lovely!