Brandy storage/corks

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Lee

Brandy storage/corks

Post by Lee »

Hi all
I was after a little advice - I received a bottle of Hennessy XO for my birthday recently - should this be stored as for a cork stoppered wine? ie laying flat, or is it OK to stand up (I have a cellar temp/humidity controlled with a Fondis cooler)....
cheers,
Lee

Red Bigot

Re: Brandy storage/corks

Post by Red Bigot »

Lee wrote:Hi all
I was after a little advice - I received a bottle of Hennessy XO for my birthday recently - should this be stored as for a cork stoppered wine? ie laying flat, or is it OK to stand up (I have a cellar temp/humidity controlled with a Fondis cooler)....

AFIK it's Ok to stand it up and store it anywhere that doesn't get too hot. I've always stored my single malts and brandies standing up in a cupboard rather than in the cellar. There doesn't seem to be much change after opening either, not much can happen to something that's 40% to 60% alcohol, although some aromatics could change if left too long and too hot. And there is still the possibility of cork taint or cork flavours, so I'd prefer to stand them up with no contact with the cork.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

griff

Post by griff »

Standing up. The alcohol can 'eat' away the cork on its side.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Lee

Thanks

Post by Lee »

Standing up in the cellar sounds like a plan then..... thanks!
cheers,
Lee