TN: 1996 Stonyfell Metala Black Label

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
markg

TN: 1996 Stonyfell Metala Black Label

Post by markg »

I love this wine and this vintage is my favourite at the moment. I always hunt for it at auction these days (and tend to lose mostly as its popularity increases) and it can show up under a number of headings in the catalogs, with varying price ranges and reserves, depending on who is reading the label when they catalog the wine.

The color is a deep dark purple with a wonderful nose of blackcurrent, chocolate, aniseed and menthol. It is smooth, rounded and full bodied with soft tannins and wonderful flavours of coffee, licorice and cinnamon, yummm.. I wish I had more bottles :)
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

Colin Rule

Post by Colin Rule »

How does the 96 compare to the 98? I bought a case at auction last year for about $21 p/b and tried one for the first time last week. Big, bold style & good value. Might give it another year or two though. Cheers Colin

markg

Post by markg »

Colin Rule wrote:How does the 96 compare to the 98? I bought a case at auction last year for about $21 p/b and tried one for the first time last week. Big, bold style & good value. Might give it another year or two though. Cheers Colin

I don't have any notes on the 1998 but remember it being a big, enjoyable wine as you said, however, I have heard of quite a bit of bottle variation with the 1998.
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

markg

Post by markg »

Spooky... Just got an OnWine News email where JO praises the 1996 vintage and the Metala Black label specifically....
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

Justin B.

Post by Justin B. »

Hi guys

I am drinking the 96 in between typing this post. Difficult to compare in that its a warm day here in Perth and I never enjoy big reds on warm days, but I preferred the 94 I had last year and rated it in last years top 10. Not had the 98, but I am enjoying the 96 but would surely enjoy it more if it were cooler. Sun Mon and Tues in Perth here are expected to be around 40 degrees. Summer wagging its tail one more time.
Justin B.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Funnily enough I tried a 1996 last week at my Volleyball pre-season BBQ. The Captain of the team brought one along, as he thought the ulage level was on the low side (at the base of the neck).

Very similar observations to yours Mark: violets, chocolate, mint, blackcurrants, a hint of menthol and leather, and licorice on the palate, plus that warm, fuzzy feel in the mouth that a good quality, aged shiraz can generate.

I haven't tried the 1998 (yet).

Cheers,
Ian

markg

Post by markg »

n4sir wrote:Funnily enough I tried a 1996 last week at my Volleyball pre-season BBQ. The Captain of the team brought one along, as he thought the ulage level was on the low side (at the base of the neck).

Very similar observations to yours Mark: violets, chocolate, mint, blackcurrants, a hint of menthol and leather, and licorice on the palate, plus that warm, fuzzy feel in the mouth that a good quality, aged shiraz can generate.

I haven't tried the 1998 (yet).

Cheers,
Ian

Ahh.. I see you have got your image to work then Ian :)
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

markg

Post by markg »

Has anybody tried the 1995 vintage of this lately ?
Cheers
-Mark Wickman