Second Last Sunday in June....

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

Second Last Sunday in June....

Post by TORB »

Mornin' Good Peoples,

You all know the drill; please l;et us know your vinous activities, pains and pleasures, over the past week.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Attila

Post by Attila »

Bought a bottle of the Grant Burge Aged Tawny (Barossa) $17 to keep the winter cold away but it is cloying and way to sweet so I'll have to give it away. Off to Switzerland tomorrow to tour the Ticino region for some great Swiss merlots.
"(Wine) information is only as valuable as its source" DB

ross67

Post by ross67 »

Two Hands Angels Share 2007: McLaren Vale

Bottom of their shiraz tier in price but certainly not in quality.
Lovely aromas full bodied thick and concentrated. Dark fruits. 15.5% $27 cd

ross

monghead

Post by monghead »

2005 Te Mata Coleraine

Wow. What a wonderful, seductive wine!!! Huge blackcurrant and dark fruits with cedary oak, it had lovely nuances of cardamon, and aniseed, all wrapped up in a silky, gorgeous mouthfeel.

Need to get more...

Monghead.

pstarr

Post by pstarr »

National Sparkling Red Day this week, so a 1986 Alkoomi sparkler and a 2001 Ashton Hills red bubbles from Wendouree fruit.

A good bottle of 2006 Torbreck The Steading grenache mataro shiraz.

A slightly cork-flavoured and mousey 1996 De Iuliis semillon, which I enjoyed nonetheless.

Some Tahbilk 2005 shiraz, which threw up a slightly strange smoked paprika character on the third day open, but honest drinking.

A VA and aldehydes stuffed 1996 Brown Brother graciano.

And a very fresh-cabernet bottle of 2000 Primo Estate Joseph amarone-style blend - very different in flavour profile to my last two bottles of this, but different source.
Paul.

dlo

Post by dlo »

'Flu with ear infections all week = no wine passed my lips. :(
Cheers,

David

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Jacobs Creek Limited Release 1998 Shiraz Cabernet

US oak a little dominating but underneath the fruit shone but not to expectations for the wine and vintage.

Classic McLaren 2002 La Testa Shiraz.

I'll never understand how this winery went belly up. Apparently according to the ex winemaker Andrew Braithwaite it lacked adequate marketing. This wine was really singing with wonderful fruit and oak fully intergrated and ready to go. Hides the 15% alcohol well. Still many years ahead of it. Well done Andrew.

Classic McLaren 2002 La Testa Blend

A blend of shiraz, grenache and cabernet. Not normally a fan of grenache in any form this blend was in the BIG category but whilst still a heavyweight is drinking a treat. The grenache no longer dominates allowing the others to add good character to the final product. Unusual blend but it works well. Excellent with a steak or anything gamey. Near its peak it will hold for many years.

Also was in Sydney last week with family and a family friend who dropped by was the co-owner of Ben's Run in the Hunter. Small winery with just a single vineyard shiraz. Took a few bottle of the '05 back to Adelaide. Anyone know much about their stuff?

Chuck
Last edited by Chuck on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

monghead

Post by monghead »

Oh, forgot a couple on Friday.

2005 Lucien Muzard Santenay
Big and bold for a burg. Deep dark cherries with the slightest strawberry lift. Dusty, brambly, meaty flavours with fine integrated tannins. Not too complicated, not a great length and persistence, but not too bad at all.

2006 Gaja Sito Moresco
Typical big, bold Nebbiolo, but in a blend, only just approachable with a couple of hours in a decanter. Meaty, leathery, with pencil shavings, hints of black olives, not much in terms of vibrant fruit. Extremely savoury, typically Italian, chewy to the end with huge, drying tannins.

Still, wine of the weekend belongs to the 2005 Te Mata Coleraine.

Monghead.

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Had the chance to catch up with Alessandro Vallecchi from Allegrini this week and look at their range.

2008 Allegrini Corte Giara Pinot Grigio
2006 Allegrini Corte Giara Bardolino
2007 Allegrini Valpolicella
2005 Allegrini La Grola
2005 Allegrini Palazzo Del Torre
2004 Allegrino Amarone Della Valpolicella Classico
2004 Allegrini La Poja
2005 Allegrini Giovani Allegrini Recioto Della Valpolicella Classico

Pinot Grigio and Bardolino both great value. Valpolicella very nice, savoury and sweet tannin. The single vineyard La Grola had a rustic edge and a small addition of Syrah to the usual Valpolicella blend. The single vineyard Palazzo Del Torre was a more international style of the blend. The Amarone was excellent...super concentration and attack of fruit. The La Poja was a straight single vineyard Corvina...kind of a ripasso style but the secondary fermentation isn't on skins so offically it cant be called ripasso.
And the Recioto is superb.

Also had a Hoddles Creek 1er Pinot Blanc 2008 which was super.

And today a Reinhold Haart Goldtropchen Kabinett 2007, Ravenau Chablis Montee de Tonnere 2006, Jean Foillard Morgon La Corcelette 2007 and a Pierre Gonon St Joseph 2006 with some friends over Moroccon Lamb Shanks then hopefully watch the baby All Blacks belt england in the Under-20 rugby final.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

01 Peter Lehmann Shiraz A little disappointing and probably a little past its best. A weaker vintage and it shows a bit. Just didn't have the same oomph and complexity of a better vintage. Dominant licorice and muted black fruits. 85

07 Warrabilla cleanskin I needed a winter warmer and this certainly did the trick. Big and full of flavour. Plums, blackfruits and a blast of anise with a good savoury finish. Pretty good for a cleanskin. 90

07 Noons Twelve Bells I'm pretty sure this is a grenache dominant blend but there's not a lot of clues on the label. Another big hearty warmer perfect for this time of the year. A little bit rounder than the Warrabilla but with a not too dissimilar flavour profile. Maybe a bit more raspberry than black fruits but still with that core of licorice that seems to have been the theme for the week. 90

98 St Hugo Cabernet Savignon Well, no licorice on this one to be seen. Nicely matured now. Deep red colour. Blackcurrent, blackberry and mulberry with tobacco and leafy, slightly green flavours apparent. Nice drink but the herbaciousness put me off just a little. 91
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

2005 Te Mata Coleraine

Wow. What a wonderful, seductive wine!!! Huge blackcurrant and dark fruits with cedary oak, it had lovely nuances of cardamon, and aniseed, all wrapped up in a silky, gorgeous mouthfeel.

Need to get more...

From a hawkes bay vintage that increasinging looks as though it was over rated. However it is clear that wines like 05 Coleraine could take some of the blame for that as it is just stunning! I love 05 Coleraine and bought quite a few. Class in a glass.

As for me, had a fantastic dinner with sis in law and her boyfriend 07 Craggy Range Block 14 Syrah - just so deft. got better and better in the glass and then 07 Felton Rd Pinot Noir. I didnt like this wine on release. Last night it was still young but opened up into the glass to end up being just gorgeous. A great night finished with a win for the spluttering All Blacks. Can't see the Tri Nations or Bledisloe staying here this year!
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

monghead

Post by monghead »

Craig(NZ) wrote:
2005 Te Mata Coleraine

Need to get more...

From a hawkes bay vintage that increasinging looks as though it was over rated. However it is clear that wines like 05 Coleraine could take some of the blame for that as it is just stunning! I love 05 Coleraine and bought quite a few. Class in a glass.

Class in a glass. Nice I like that.

How does the 2005 Craggy Range Sophia stack up?

Cheers,

Monghead.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Dinner at home with a few friends so didn't take notes given I was doing the cooking but general comments. With cheese to start.

Wynns BL 2006 Nice balance and very approachable. Medium bodied, soft tannins fruit driven. :)

Lanzaga Rioja 2002I wish I had more of this, actually I wish I had more Rioja in general. I am told Modernist style. Gamey earthy savoury red fruit with a hint of after spice. Tannins still integrating. Lovely wine. :D :D

Next up classic oyster soup (new recipe, yummy) 8) . First up Emrich Schonleber Lanz Riesling 2007 From the Nahe, with 11.5% alc, a little more weight than some German rieslings I have tried recently. Touch of sprtiz on the fore palate, grapefuit and lemon flavour. Very popular. :D

Cape Mentelle Chardonnay 2004 This has always been a poor wine and the less said the better. After the riesling, it got the big thumbs down. :(

Onto the deboned lamb stuffed with wild mushrooms and fennel, served with white French beans. Bannockburn Cab Sav 2003 13%Quite an approachable wine. I dont recall having had many prior C/S from down Geelong way. Starting to take on some complexity. Medium bodied, red fruit, touch of cedar box. :)

Pirramimma Cab Sav 1997 Cab Sav Not a label I had seen before. From McLaren Vale. Probably at its peak, soft tannins, just north of medium bodied, tobacco, gamey red. :) :)

Turkey Flat Shiraz 1998 Corked. :cry:

Into deserty things, Ch Lafaurie Peyraguey 2003 With acase down in the garage, I had been getting stuck into this wine recently. Wonderful lush rich wine from a hot vintage. drinking well now. The sugar rush absolutely kick starts post dinner discussion. :D

Wheels starting to fall off a touch. Decide to raid garge wine fridge :idea: only to discover I failed to bring any "Midnight Wines" in from the main cellar. Oh well grabbed a Saint Cosme C Neuf du Pape 14.5%. It never really stood a chance. :shock: Still at around 15C when consummed. Likewise Petaluma 1997 Coonawarra. Cork crumbled. Again drunk far to cold, but seemed ok. :shock:
Last edited by rooman on Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

platinum

Post by platinum »

YALUMBA SIGNATURE 1996...Not bad but not as good as expected either, however this particular bottle had not been in my cellar for its life so hard to rate.

PENFOLDS BIN 389 1996...As expected lovely and a bit more elegance than the 98 which ive consumed many of, although I dont think the 96 is as far ahead as many beleive and would even go as far as saying the 98 is closing the gap big time from where they both were a few years ago. 96pts

GLAETZER GODOLPHIN 2005...Dont like where this wine is at the moment. I really enjoyed a bottle at release as i enjoyed the 1st glass of this however it quikly became way too much for me, hope it sorts out..86pts

METALA WITE LABEL 2002...Not a fan,...Watery at one end tannic at the other...what fruit? 80pts

SEPPELT MOYSTON CAB/MERL 2004...Enkoyed a bottle at release and this is easily living upto that, Smooth, balance with a touch of class...94pts

BALNAVES THE TALLY CAB 2004...Picked up another 6 of these as its one of my Favourite wines over the last few years, This didnt dissapoint...A CLASSIC Cab with atleast 2nd growth fruit from a great vintage if not would go as far as JO and say 1st growth...98pts

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano D'Abbruzzo DOC 2006
Took some time to come around but when it did, lots of plum, strawberries and coffee, the palate quite raspy and savoury, a touch of looseness on the very end. Quite good; excellent food wine, more the point.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

John #11

Post by John #11 »

2007 Yalumba The Scribbler
Ever reliable, and very much a drink now wine. So good, I will be very lucky to keep any for posterity. 94/100

2006 O'leary Walker Cabernet
Just beautiful. Good enough to make a grown Cabernet drinker cry for more. Do yourself a favour and get a case (or more) of this. 94/100

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

01 Virgin Hills Very nice Great colour with plenty of Dark Plums to savour ,, nice red

05 Hope estate Shiraz/Malbec Lively red needs a bit of time to bring out its best

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Murdock The Merger Shiraz Cabernet 2004 Last bottle, the fruit is tending to the red spectrum, some cedary oak with a touch of char, savoury notes. Acid is still lively, adds to the soft tannins on the finish. Time to drink up.

daz

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

1998 Dom Perignon - tangy and citrus-like. No need to rush drinking these, but don't see it improving too much.

1986 Henschke Mt Edelstone - superb wine. I hope the 02 and 05 releases turn out this well. Complex, long and velvety. A joy to drink.

2001 Lindemans Limestone Ridge x 6 - 5 bottles were reasonbaly good, 1 was a tad astringent.

2002 Veuve Clicquot - decent champers, though not memorable in any respect.

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Tatachilla Foundation Shiraz 1999 - big prizewinner in past years - quite developed, has a 'sour' note that some would find appealing, others may find off-putting, certainly full of interest and likely to generate animated discussion in a group tasting.

Caledonia Australis Pinot 2001 - a producer that seems to fly right under the radar - absolute giveaway on Grays last year - lovely, classic, light/medim bodied wine with fragrance, fruit, balance, development, the works - needs to be drunk up now though, not quite so good 2nd night.

Tarrington De Ireys Chardonnay 2004 - never had anything like this before! Unoaked, very elegant and classy white wine, crisp, citrussy, hints of melon, minerals, oatmeal, gets bigger in the glass, would never pick this blind as an Aust chardonnay, maybe semillon, roussanne or something exotic.

Irvine Grand Merlot 1992 - bloody magnificent! A lesson in Australian merlot, approaching, dare I say it, the best that the right bank can offer, with the cassis intensity hinting at its new world origins. Give this, or the Petaluma Merlot 1990 or 1992, to a sceptic, they will be converted.

Chateau Climens 1996 - not confident about its provenance, seemed a touch over-developed, almost savoury, on opening, but by next day had improved markedly, fragrant, complex, intense, integrated. May be at its best in years to come.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

How does the 2005 Craggy Range Sophia stack up?

Its a pretty good wine though not as 'classy' as the coleraine. it was really the first year you noticed the start of the change in style from the big wines of 02 and 04 moving to the more elegant style you see in the 06/07.

Completely different style to 05 coleraine

Bick

Post by Bick »

A few from the last week or so.

Te Mata Zara Viognier 08 - not to my taste; I thought this lacked charm. Its technically ok, but I wouldn't buy again. :|

Mildara Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon 06 - but this surprised me in a good way; nice nose of soy, cedar and a hint of cinnamon, perfectly ripe blackberry on the palate, and gentle, drink now tannins giving nice structure. Very good for the price {NZD$8 at auction} :)

Stoneleigh Ruapara Chardonnay 07 - ok, but not a patch on the Cottage Block chard I had last week. :|

Thornbury Hawkes Bay Merlot 07 - I've had many bottles of this, and still have a good few left to age. 89% merlot, 9% cab. This is an exceptional 'north bank' style bdx blend for the price. Can be had for as little as $13 on special, but despite the bargain basement price it actually needs a a few years cellaring. :) to :D
Cheers,
Mike

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Te Mata Zara Viognier 08 - not to my taste; I thought this lacked charm. Its technically ok, but I wouldn't buy again.

I loved this on release but it seems to have gone backwards since then. The last time I had it i wasnt moved by it either

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Finished the fourth (final) bottle of 2000 Gunderloch Nackenheimer Rothenberg Reisling Spätlese (Rheinhessen) {4 01 or 34 01, can't tell} yesterday.
Drunk over six months, the first was stunning last December, still shot with green, developed candied-apple & peach aromas & flavours, with lychee notes. Discreetly sweet but balanced, with softening acid and at its peak (from a tricky vintage), this was a pleasure to drink. A second bottle some months later was heavily oxidised, flat and unappealing. A third bottle, opened a month ago, was sealed with a synthetic stopper. Huh? This was worse still, even darker gold, totally flat, with fruit gone and no development. Textbook oxidation. It was with some trepidation that I took the capsule of the last bottle.
Never thought I'd say this, but - it had a cork stopper. Hooray! Perhaps by fluke, this was a return to the first example; a nicely aged seductive spätlese riesling at the top of its form, with the patina of age an intriguing filter through which to taste the citric fruits. Terrific wine.
Cork; two from three, Synthetic; none from one. Sigh.
cheers,
Graeme

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Good to see Bick's emoticon scoring system catching on :D Sad to hear dlo is sick and couldn't imbibe, I really hate illness for that resaon along with many others more serious.

rooman wrote
Wynns BL 2006 Nice balance and very approachable. Medium bodied, soft tannins fruit driven.

V.Interesting, I interpret the 2006 BL as full-bodied, which is not to say I disagree, just that personally I find the way people experience a wine and communicate their experience fascinating, another reason I love this (and other) wine forums. In a way I think people are being very generous in giving their opinions for free, not that ther's anything wrong with making a buck if you can :) Before leaving this point, another thank you to Gavin and the admin on the site for their generosity too.

2005 Carlei Tre Rossi- diam, how I love diam. And this wine blew my jocks off. I had to call my brother when I had it, just to rave to someone who would tolerate my raving. 60% Shiraz 30% Barbera 10% Nebbiolo. Juicy and acid srtuctured from the barbera at a guess with balanced tannins from 18 months of french oak and Neb adding complexity to an awesome structure. Vibrant and lively fruit personality/suggestions that a dark and brooding personality lurks beneath from time to time. Spicy and long and just a bub. A joy to drink now, I won't open another (except one I am planning to share with a friend during an Italian horror flick fest) for 5 years. Biodynamic too, and in the spirit of Solstice, I think moonbeams where dancing on my tongue causing me to become quite manic and perhaps disturbing?

2007Taylors Reisling- brought over generously by my girlfriend. Ver advanced, although this could be storage related, I do not know enough to say. Quite weighty for a Clare Reisling, already more honey and kero than lime/lemon and a little soft and furry texturally.

2008 Moondah Brook Verdelho- well, my partner was very chuffed when I told her of the info Daz had given me on this :) I still don't really get it and seem unable to TN it other than to say I tried to dwelll on it longer and it was very nice in its own way.

2006 Leasingham Bin 61 Shiraz- a little too simple, sweet and vanillan for my tastes. Some nice raspy tannins but overall soft, creamy and giving in mouthfeel and personality. Reminded me of a well-dressed, young and unpretentious uni-sex highschool girl who is in love, wants to please her partner and uses make up with a touch too much precision. The raspberry and vanilla flavours were given extra depth by plum and red liqourice strap with time in the decanter. Good, maybe more, but not for me, at least yet.

Thanks for allowing me to post my (wanky, self indulgent?) thoughts and to anyone who reads them, I am planning on blogging for myself and to give my posts more brevity on others sites, but for now I appreciate any and all's patience.
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

pstarr wrote:National Sparkling Red Day this week, so a 1986 Alkoomi sparkler and a 2001 Ashton Hills red bubbles from Wendouree fruit.

Hey pstarr
I would be interesetd to know your thoughts the Ashton Hills/Galah? We had it at the Brisbane Offline on Friday night.

http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=10093

Cheers
Michael
PS I had never heard of National Sparkling Red Day, but as a devotee of this fine style I will note for next year, thanks.
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

pstarr

Post by pstarr »

Michael McNally wrote:
pstarr wrote:National Sparkling Red Day this week, so a 1986 Alkoomi sparkler and a 2001 Ashton Hills red bubbles from Wendouree fruit.

Hey pstarr
I would be interesetd to know your thoughts the Ashton Hills/Galah? We had it at the Brisbane Offline on Friday night.

http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=10093

Cheers
Michael
PS I had never heard of National Sparkling Red Day, but as a devotee of this fine style I will note for next year, thanks.

I was impressed by the 2001 Ashton Hills sparkler. Good intensity of fruit, with some of that ink/iron/dust character I associate with Clare. I think this is slowly developing - not really showing much of the more developed mushroom/truffle and leather characters I recall from my bottle of the 1998 a while ago.

Hard to tell if it is management of the base wine, or handling of the dosage regime (or maybe a bit of bottle age effect) but I expected a bit more of an evident profile of tannins (drying and grippy, or less so) than was the case.

I've got a few more of the 2001s, and am thinking that putting them away for a few more years would be an idea, though I enjoyed this now.

I think Stephen George is possibly the most underrated winemaker in Australia. He knows what he's doing with sparkling wines, in several modes, and stretches all the way through to the power and lengevity of the Wendouree wines.
Paul.

rooman

Post by rooman »

GraemeG wrote:Finished the fourth (final) bottle of 2000 Gunderloch Nackenheimer Rothenberg Reisling Spätlese (Rheinhessen) {4 01 or 34 01, can't tell} yesterday.
Drunk over six months, the first was stunning last December, still shot with green, developed candied-apple & peach aromas & flavours, with lychee notes. Discreetly sweet but balanced, with softening acid and at its peak (from a tricky vintage), this was a pleasure to drink. A second bottle some months later was heavily oxidised, flat and unappealing. A third bottle, opened a month ago, was sealed with a synthetic stopper. Huh? This was worse still, even darker gold, totally flat, with fruit gone and no development. Textbook oxidation. It was with some trepidation that I took the capsule of the last bottle.
Never thought I'd say this, but - it had a cork stopper. Hooray! Perhaps by fluke, this was a return to the first example; a nicely aged seductive spätlese riesling at the top of its form, with the patina of age an intriguing filter through which to taste the citric fruits. Terrific wine.
Cork; two from three, Synthetic; none from one. Sigh.
cheers,
Graeme
Graeme, I am curious to know what food you paired this with?

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

2005 Schubert Estate Gooseyard Block shiraz
Very nice wine.

2004 As above.
I like the plums on the palate. Beaten by a whisker by the 05.

05 Two Hands Bellas Garden shiraz.
A nice balanced Barossa wine. Second day was looking rather tired.

2004 Mitolo Savitar shiraz
Corked

2002 Seppelt St Peters.
I love this, but it needs a lot of time.

2001 Cullen Diana Madelain Cab Merlot.
First night seemed really closed, so left it. The second night I was expecting something much better, but it was worse, and virtually undrinkable. Down the sink. Not sure whats going on here. wasn't corked.

1997 Cullen Cab merlot
Corked.

97 Greenock Creek Cabernet.
Wow! What a wine. Close to perfection.

2005 Kaesler Old Vine shiraz
Good. Bit savoury. Held up well the second day

2005 Messena 11th Hour shiraz
Not bad. Typical Torbreck style.

2004 Deisen shiraz
Very good wine.

2005 Kilikanoon Oracle shiraz
Very nice. Better then I was expecting.

Bruce
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.