Weekday Gear

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
monghead

Weekday Gear

Post by monghead »

All right everyone, new week, no long week end, what are we imbibing in?

For myself, the rest of the 2007 Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir. Noice. The Firewood ash character has blown off to leave a subtle smokiness. No loss in fruit intensity. Really good.

Then a little of the 2006 Vidal Fleury Muscat de Beaumes de Venise. Full frontal mandarin/marmalade attack, this was quite delectable with coffee beans dipped in dark chocolate.

What about you guys?

Cheers,

Monghead.

ross67

Post by ross67 »

Reynell Basket Pressed Shiraz: 1995 McLaren Vale

Holding together beautifully for a 14 yo wine from a not spectacular vintage. Slight red bricking smooth with more red fruits than dark with med finish. 93

Torbreck Woodcutter's Shiraz: 2008 Barossa Valley

Easy everyday quaffer on night one. Young raw and slightly green. will be better in yrs to come. 88

Seppelt DP 63 Show Muscat: Rutherglen

Lovely toffee and raisins. Aged and delightful. 94

ross

monghead

Post by monghead »

2006 Maison Champy Pernand Vergelesses
Mediocre. Quite heavy / cumbersome with initially dark fruits, then a little sour sappiness on the metallic finish.

Few more sips of the 2006 Vidal Muscat de Beaumes de Venise. Lovely stuff this.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

2000 Cullen Cabernet nice rich colour and after an hour started to open up went from rich berry fruit into Bitumin , Tar with a dash of aniseed , Silky tannins washed down a silky wine, elegant in a sureal nature :wink: What was fantastic was my wife loved it and for her she is not big on w.a reds

1998 Yalumba Clare valley Cabernet 2nd to last wine out of this vineyard and wow was it good Still very inky in the glass and the nose started straight away ,A very young wine (which took me by surprise) this needs a while yet and really gave the Cullen a run for its money until Cullen went to a new level all round

1995 Penfolds Bin 128 ShirazGee i love an old red thats been well nurtured since it was born . Yes fruit was going , yes alittle drying out but was it good YES ,Crimson edges showing ,Leather, spice flowing out and great length that went well with pizza and pasta

All were very good but the winner was

$ wise Yalumba Cab was awesome
Money no object then Cullen was the stand out :!:

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

Crawford River Riesling 2000
Lifted kero intertwines with honeysuckle and melon on the nose. Developed palate with more toast, honey yet still underpinned with lovely citrus and acid. A mouthfilling and very interesting wine. I was very dubious about the first glass but it has got better and better and freshened up. It can be savoured and makes me want to try more aged riesling. This is from a weaker vintage and you don't want to wait. Don't overchill it and drink now.
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

oakboy

Post by oakboy »

Hi all
Just sipping on a lovely Kirrihill Clare Shiraz 2002 (screwcap)
Excellent wine this, mouthfilling silky palate. Lush and long finish, its very easy to swallow... The nose is full of caramel, with some eucalyptus and a hint of earth. Again i think has matured well under the screwcap and has a few years left till hitting its peak.

Cheers all
Simmo

malliemcg

Post by malliemcg »

2004 Peperjack Shiraz - This one was left on my desk during a massively hectic period of work, I suppose thanks for some insane 60H weeks being put in. Didn't think too much of it at the time, and just tossed it away in the "cellar". I was surprised - pleasantly - the wine is still pretty big, the fruit is dominated by peppery plum characteristics, the tail end dusty wood with a bit of liquorice. While I wouldn't say that it had years and years ahead of it, I'd be surprised if it couldn't handle 5 more. Excellent deal for the $15 or so someone paid for it. I reckon it'll hold up nicely under vacuvin overnight, perhaps improve even... a winner!

Who ever you are project manager, or developer - thanks be to you! :D

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

I had an 07 of this wine, amongst a lot of pretty average stuff at a function lately and it stood out as a pretty decent wine.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

The Pepperjack label is from Hardy/Constellation. Haven't had one for a while but it's pretty good value when found for ~$18 and generally good quality at the price. I consider it to be in the same bracket as Thorn-Clarke Shotfire Ridge wines which I generally buy in preference to the Pepperjacks. I did have a Pepperjack shiraz within the last 6 months or so. It wasn't particularly memorable but it was a good drop.

Cheers

daz

monghead

Post by monghead »

2000 Glorioso Gran Riserva- A bone dry tempranillo from spain that had hints of blackberries and tar. Masses of cedary oak too. Really needed food. Wished we had it with a hearty, cheesy, tomatoey lasagna.

Budgie

Post by Budgie »

2001 Hollick Cab Sauv Merlot
Excellent wine. Incredibly fresh tasting, but without any unpleasant, dominating, tanins. Singing.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Budgie wrote:2001 Hollick Cab Sauv Merlot
Excellent wine. Incredibly fresh tasting, but without any unpleasant, dominating, tanins. Singing.

Welcome Budgie!
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

De Bortoli Sacred Hill Semillon Chardonnay 2007

Never mind your fancy $40 wines, have at you with this $4 - yes, that's $4 - stunner

Good stone, citrus and tropical fruit characters, clean, well balanced and surprisingly not marred by litres of grape concentrate to cover up the faults.

More than agreeable when chilled and served with a takeaway of your choice and how you can pick it up for $4 a bottle is slightly beyond me.

Delicious, and no doubt nutritious as well.
The Dog of Wine

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Rawshack wrote

Never mind your fancy $40 wines, have at you with this $4 - yes, that's $4 - stunner

Good stone, citrus and tropical fruit characters, clean, well balanced and surprisingly not marred by litres of grape concentrate to cover up the faults.

More than agreeable when chilled and served with a takeaway of your choice and how you can pick it up for $4 a bottle is slightly beyond me.

Well, I agree its a great weekday drinking bargain but I wouldn't quite rave about it that much myself :) How many bottles did you consume :wink: :D
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

jeremy wrote:Rawshack wrote

Well, I agree its a great weekday drinking bargain but I wouldn't quite rave about it that much myself :) How many bottles did you consume :wink: :D

OK, let me qualify this somewhat

When I lived in the UK, we had a glut of cheap Vin Du Pays, Italian IGT, Spanish plonk etc that washed upon our shores. Whilst a lot of it was no more than dishwater, a trawl through the wine sections in the Sunday papers would often point you to more than a few bargains, that could be picked up for a couple of quid.

What I liked about the Sacred Hill was that it really was a simple, plain, but well made wine for a ludicrous price. I think Australia is capable of producing stunning wine, but for some reason, we stumble under the $10 mark. I’m sure that a lot of people might disagree, but I find the budget market isn’t our strength. There are geographical, environmental and economic reasons for this, I know.

Hence when I drank the SH, I was delighted that there was a good wine, that went with food, that could be drank without thought, or complaint.

I quite like that last line. Nice.
The Dog of Wine

monghead

Post by monghead »

Taittinger NV
A good celebratory drink.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Craggy Range Merlot (no vintage listed at wine bar, hate that!)- excellent, loved the black olive notes and the texture.

Jimbour Station Reserve Merlot 2007- Shows what (Sth?) Burnett Qld can do. Really complex and understated whilst being very dense. Brooding, brambly characters. Red fruits on top of plum, xmas cake with a touch of blood/iodine.

Cascabel 2006 Eden Valley Reisling- very developed for one so young. Already gettin golden and honeyed with very prominent kero, not real complex or good, but I still enjoyed drinking it? If that makes sense (indeed if anything I write makes sense)

Some good (not great, but good) Qld Shiraz, it was a Queensland Wine tasting (after the Merlot at a wine bar) hosted by Andrew Corrigan, who although holding different opinions to me, was a much nicer guy than I had thought via reading him.

Which raises all those questions about writing/social media and how it mutates personality, which I do believe relate strongly to wine. To cut to the chase, I still think it's hard to "know" someone or really understand where they are coming from just by the words they type.

Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned. These forums are still an amazing opportunity for people like me to learn from others and offer my thoughts. End of spiel.

griff

Post by griff »

Rawshack wrote:Hence when I drank the SH, I was delighted that there was a good wine, that went with food, that could be drank without thought, or complaint.

Drunk? :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

griff wrote:
Rawshack wrote:Hence when I drank the SH, I was delighted that there was a good wine, that went with food, that could be drank without thought, or complaint.

cheers

Carl

Not yet. Give me, ooh, 4 hours and I'll be catatonic in a closet somewhere ;)
The Dog of Wine

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Rawshack wrote
griff wrote:
Rawshack wrote:
Hence when I drank the SH, I was delighted that there was a good wine, that went with food, that could be drank without thought, or complaint.

Drunk?

cheers

Carl

Not yet. Give me, ooh, 4 hours and I'll be catatonic in a closet somewhere

Sounds a plan :) We'll have to do it together one day if the opportunity arises. In platonic way tho, if we end up in a closet :wink:

Michael McNally

griff wrote:

cheers

Carl

My aren't we all a bunch of pendants :wink: :wink:

Michael McNally

2004 Seville Estate Yarra Valley Shiraz. SC.

Dark red though not quite clear. Nose of prunes and tar. Medium-bodied palate of slightly dry plum fruit with some green peppercorns. Fruit is a little subdued and previous bottles have impressed more. Will check the other half bottle tonight, but think this may be a dud or at least not the best example.

Cheers

Michael

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Michael wrote
griff wrote:
Rawshack wrote:

Drunk?

cheers

Carl

My aren't we all a bunch of pendants

Noice :D Memory can form the basis for the best humour.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Michael McNally wrote:
griff wrote:

cheers

Carl

My aren't we all a bunch of pendants :wink: :wink:

:lol: Yep!

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define. ... &dict=CALD

daz

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

jeremy wrote:Rawshack wrote
griff wrote:
Rawshack wrote:

Drunk?

cheers

Carl

Sounds a plan :) We'll have to do it together one day if the opportunity arises. In platonic way tho, if we end up in a closet :wink:

Closets are so eighties.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Bacchaebabe wrote
jeremy wrote:
Rawshack wrote
Quote:
griff wrote:
Rawshack wrote:

Drunk?

cheers

Carl

Sounds a plan We'll have to do it together one day if the opportunity arises. In platonic way tho, if we end up in a closet

Closets are so eighties.

:lol: So am I!

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Daz wrote
Michael McNally wrote:
griff wrote:
Rawshack wrote:

Drunk?

cheers

Carl

Yep!

daz

Re first link, I am sooo not "past simple" :)

Daryl Douglas

Metala Shiraz Cabernet 2006

Post by Daryl Douglas »

This is one of my favourite quaffers. When it's discounted to <$12, I usually end up buying a bottle or two over the period that the 'special' price applies. It's a bit plummy on the front palate but not overly so, some dark fruits, perhaps a touch of licorice too, appear on the middle/back palate. It finishes with some well-integrated, slightly charry oak tannins providing some structure and noticeable Langhorne Creek eucalypt/menthol, a character I rather like but one that many don't. The 2006 is one of the better vintages of this wine imo, at least of the recent ones I've tried. Wasn't so impressed by the 2005 but seem to remember enjoying the 2004.

Cheers

daz

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

jeremy wrote:Daz wrote
Michael McNally wrote:
griff wrote:
Rawshack wrote:

Drunk?

cheers

Carl

Yep!

daz

Re first link, I am sooo not "past simple" :)

I'm sooo not going near the possible connotations, interpretations of that comment. :lol: :P

daz

Michael McNally

bacchaebabe wrote:Closets are so eighties.

Would that they were!