Sunday.....

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

Sunday.....

Post by TORB »

Hi Good Peoples,

Its that time of the week again. Plewase let us all know what ytou have been drinking. Tasting notes, vibes, impressions and lists all welcome.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

monghead

Post by monghead »

Wow Ric, you are up early! Or up late... :wink:

Quiet week end for me:

2007 Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir
Red cherries and plums, slight hints of proscuito, and a dusty smokiness, firewood ash type aroma, which wasn't too bad at all. Very enjoyable.

Cheers,

Monghead.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Oh, and I forgot...

2007 Two Thumbs Cabernet Merlot- Not very good at all. Cheerful enough at the front with blackcurrant fruits, and some violets, but then drops away into oblivion, to whack you at the end with drying tannins.

No wonder I forgot...

Cheers,

Monghead.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Italian food and wine dinner last night - some I vaguely recall

Fonterutoli Chianti Classico 2006
Excellent, with power and depth but still nicely savoury and balanced. A new-world-ish style.

Isole e Olena Chianti Classico 2006
Full of springy tannins and quite lightweight, has developed from a few months back and will continue to do well. Cherries, characterful.

Brezza Barolo 2001
Licorice, tar, springy and lively tannins - in fact the wine was generally quite youthful.

and an 04 Barolo which I can't recall but was awesomely structured, in contrast to the...

Vietti Barbera d'Asti Tre Vigne 2004
Slurpable, fruit forward and approachable, lovely food wine and 'drink now' stuff.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Picardy degustation at Era Sth Brisbane- impressions, was having to much fun for TNs

Picardy 2007 Chardonnay- quite bright and lively, worked but still elegant, matched well with citrus scallops on cucumbers and duck liver parfait with stewed apple canopy. Good stuff

Picardy 2001 Chardonnay- lovely, at the end of it's window possibly, I'm too new at this to know. Very beautiful and haunting smokey finish and the persistance of length made it the only one of the chardonnays to really match well with the rabbit, potato and pastry, mostly cos the length powered thru the strength of the rabbit and continued afterwards on the palate.

Picardy 2007 Pinot Noir- dissappointing to me, probably vintage related. A bit too fruit sweet and confected and obvious. By no means bad though.

Picardy 2001 Pinot Noir- loved it. Elegant, shy, understated, mushroomy, the way I like my pinot to be. Worked a treat with the rather salty confit duck and especially well with the beetroot carpaccio whilst not having any of the possiible beetroot characters pinot seems capable of at times.

Picardy 2007 Shiraz- best wine/food match of the night with black angus fillet, beautiful sauce, wilted spinach, some potato thing (I'm no expert on food either) and mushrooms. Awesome wine. Won a bottle, drank it when I got home. Silly, yes, but fun also. Will buy some of this when finances allow. Not as spicy as I expected from Pemberton but some nice white pepper notes.

Picardy 2001 Shiraz- very bretty on nose, less so on palate, but too much by the end of a glass. Asked about Picardy's position on Brett. He doesn't want it, this was the first batch of 01's to display it and he considered it a fault. He was very generous and honest in his appraisal. Lots of integrity in this wine maker.

Picardy 2002 Merlot/Cab- Dan is very passionate about cab franc/merlot, that came across loud and clear. I though it a very good wine, but was probably a little too overwhelmed and a little too inebriated at this point to make any grand evaluation. I did ask if he tried Blue Poles "Allouran", as that is the best Oz Cab franc/merlot I have tasted by a country mile. he hadn't but seemed interested to do so.

Picardy 2007 Merlot/Cab- he was very proud of both these wines and I supect he has every right to be. Once again, very good. I don't like saying much about a wine that I'm tasting at the end of a few drinks and with cheese which coats the tongue and can render the palate less effective IMHO

And before, a glass each of...

Leo Buring Eden Valley 1998 Reisling- I have had this before, and I've posted this impression/TN on other sites, but this bottle was very different to one tried a couple of months ago (cork seal). Best aged reisling I have tried in my short wine journey. Intense. Like dipping your tongue in honey, licking toast and sucking on a lime while sitting in a bed of flowers. Extraordinary persistance of rich honey. Possible one of my 3 best wine experiences of the year.

Guigal Cotes de Rhone 2005 - coming along nicely now, better than on release, savoury red and black fruit with nice notes of pepper and spice and a good mouthfeel. Suspect it will get better.

And afterwards-
Leasingham Basion Shiraz/Cabernet 2006- bought for a nightcap so I wouldn't open anything expensive or too good. Well, that failed :) Poured a glass at lunch time, covered it with a tissue for experimentation. Easily better after a day in the glass than straight from the bottle, so ceratinly in need of a serious decant. Otherwise pretty ordinary but regional Clare and at $13 no real complaints.

So I drunked up too much really, but it was a great night, great company and Picardy really impressed in terms of quality, value, integrity and passion. Good on them for coming to Brisbane. It sold out and was actually overbooked, causing Era to screw a few things up. But it was a success. They said they should be back later this year with new releases. I look forward to it and would encourage anyone with any interest to attend. Top notch!
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

I feel a bit silly about such a long post after the succinctness of monghead and wayno :D But it was a great night! Another perspective, better written than mine can be found at Full Pour- http://www.fullpour.com/

Julian and his partner Keryn were wonderful company and very interesting people to dicuss the wines, matters vinous and gastrological and life in general. So I just added to my long post, hope it was of some interest to someone :D

Pelican

Post by Pelican »

On the just received Cullen Newsletter a vintage rating chart was included. Only problem is that almost every wine was given the maximum 5 stars. Can't accuse 'em of false modesty......

Moet et Chandon Rose

Quite good , fresh. Nice change from my standard sparkling pink , viz. Ashton Hills Salmon Brut.

2006 Cullen Mangan Margaret River Merlot Petit Verdot Malbec

Approachable , perhaps touch raw. Not cloying which is a big plus. 5 stars ? 90 odd points ? Whatever ! Good QPR at auction ( $24.15 ) , no so good on ML at $45.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

In a couple of email conversations with Vanya, she IS really wrapped by the 2007 vintage. It's not my sorta stuff, but she loved what the vintage did for the grapes and flavours, so she's genuine...in reply to Pelican

On the just received Cullen Newsletter a vintage rating chart was included. Only problem is that almost every wine was given the maximum 5 stars. Can't accuse 'em of false modesty......

Moet et Chandon Rose

Quite good , fresh. Nice change from my standard sparkling pink , viz. Ashton Hills Salmon Brut.

2006 Cullen Mangan Margaret River Merlot Petit Verdot Malbec

Approachable , perhaps touch raw. Not cloying which is a big plus. 5 stars ? 90 odd points ? Whatever ! Good QPR at auction ( $24.15 ) , no so good on ML at $45.

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

Awaroa Cabernet Merlot, 2004

This is a small Waiheke Island winery which is making excellent shiraz. The Cabernet Merlot 2004 is bordering on elegant. It has good, restrained berry fruit, almost a touch of tea leaf, but it is notable for its even, silty, firm tannins.

Nice firm finish.

Not a bad wine from what was not a particularly good vintage.

Greenock Creek Late Harvest ALice (?) shiraz 2005.

17.5 per cent! Not particularly hot, somehow or rather manages to stay on the non-ridiculous side of ridiculous, with generous, prune and Christmas pudding like undertones, and some sort of backbone.

Rather enjoyable. I sat listening to music and was alarmed to see the bottle had disappeared; 10.2 standard drinks!!

dlo

Post by dlo »

Been a very long, very arduous but mainly very good couple of weeks here, although I'm suffering very badly from a heavy head cold at the moment.

Attended the Merimbula Jazz Festival over the long weekend, taking extra days either side to make it a very relaxing time away. All concerned seemed to have a very good time. Got to play in several bands and did some extended restaurant gigs with one of the legends of the jazz world, which was a real thrill. My daughter sang very well. Seeing and hearing our family band back on mini-disc, you are jolted with the harsh realities of your own shortcomings.

Drank many, many bottles over the past two weeks but always with a lot of people, so it probably wasn't quite as bad as it looks.

From memory only -

Petaluma Hanlin Hill Riesling 2005 - excellent - still fresh and yuthful with a full-flavoured, fleshy palate butressed by excellent minerality - 90

Cape Mentelle Chardonnay 2007 - outstanding - tight, focused, linear, long with good cellaring prospects - 92 (S/C)

Wynns Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon 1998 - very sound, still a little on the young side - predominantly leafy blackcurrants and cedar - 91

Produttori del Barbaresco Riserva Rio Sordo 1997 - excellent - savoury although a tad feral - mainly cherries and old leather - 89

Dominique Laurent Serie Rare Vosne-Romanee 1er Cru Les Chaumes 1996 - excellent savoury/sappy perfume but somewhat angular with excessive acidity and grip on the palate - just very good - time may help - 85

Henschke Mount Edelstone Shieaz 1998 - disgraceful - overbearing dimethyl sulphide and brettanomyces - undrinkable - 50

Bailey's Founder Muscat (current release) - moorish and raisaned with lots of Christmas cake complexity. Good age for a moderately-priced liquer muscat - excellent - 90

Mesh Riesling 2005 - went ballistic over this some weeks ago (97). This bottle was drunk on the spot and wasn't given the time and air my initial bottle got. Nowhere as impressed - 91 at best. Has the potential but judging and pointing in context is the issue here. (S/C)

Cape Mentelle Chardonnay 2006 - still looks the goods on the bouquet but without food this looked far too astringent on the palate for my liking. With food (Cantonese spicy seafood combo in batter) looked terrific - 86/92 (S/C)

Richmond Grove Barossa Riesling 1998 - strong yellow gold colour - mix of diesel and vibrant lime/toasty fruit - still has a very good core of slightly phenolic minerally acidity, so it may keep keeping on for some years yet - 88

Houghton's Liquer Tokay (1 pint 6 fluid ounces on label) - ancient rancio and cold tea mixed with honey, nuts and some oxidative characters - a nice old drink but, somehow, I think this may have been left untouched just a trifle too long - 85

Domaine D'Ambinos 2e Trie Coteaux du Layon Beaulieu 1989 - remarkble - a vibrant, extremely classy medium-sweet chenin blanc of wonderful dimensions and still most youthful exuberance. Difficult to fault - 95 points with a long drinking window ahead.

Domaine D'Ambinos Clos des Mulonnierres Coteaux du Layon Beaulieu 1982 - read ditto to the above but without as much residual sugar but similar exceedingly good acidity. Beautiful example of complex demi-sec chenin blanc - will go for some years yet - 93

Mount Mary Chardonnay 2005 - brilliant wine - just too young - tight as a fish's, terrific line and length, superb construction - almost perfect balance - leave for 3-5 years - potential of 95 points - exceptional promise (diam)

Seppelt Dorrien Cabernet Sauvignon 1996 - looked terrific - youthful, lush, full of leafy blackberry fruit, cedary oak, still fresh but full and with a twist of bitter chocolate in a long and satisfying finish - 93

Seppelt Dorrien Cabernet Sauvignon 1998 - similarly impressive but one notch down from its elder sibling - medium-bodied classic Barossa cabernet - 92

Houghton's Jack Mann 1995 - forgot the blend here - believe it to be cabernet, shiraz and malbec - this is just starting to hit its straps - plush and decadently fruited with a wealth of gorgeously-meshed blackberry, plum and blackcurrant fruit that has all but swallowed up the savoury/malty background oak. Seamless but of full body, seriously good robust tannins slowly melting and assimilating into, what will be, a magnificent conclusion - 95 - otherworldly

Seppelt Great Western Shiraz 1995 - Ian Mckenzie always held high regard for this wine and now I can see why - typical dense creamy old-vine material redolent with blackberry and mulberry and well-judged savoury oak - top wine - 92

Katnook Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 1996 - typically weedy blackcurrants with supporting cedary oak - perhaps a tad too leafy for me on this occasion but otherwise very good/excellent - 88

Ch. Haut-Bages-Liberal (Pauilliac) 1986 - a very impressive effort from this left bank Chateau from this vintage - complex mix of wet earth, currants, lead pencil and plums with excellent acid/oak integration/balance and terrific length - still has many years fine drinking ahead of it - 92

Domaine Paul Jaboulet Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert 1999 - a solid wine although marred by a small brett input - otherwise somewhat savoury and earthy, nicely fruited and a "drink now up to 5 years" proposition - 87

Domaine Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling Vendanges Tardive 1990 - monumentally good late-picked Alsace riesling right in the groove - apple curd, ripe stone fruits, citrus rind, spicy apricots all wrapped in a shroud of profoundly-good minerality - delivers a sensational performance in the mouth with awesome structure and simply amazing delineation - WOTW - 96
Last edited by dlo on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David

rooman

Post by rooman »

dlo wrote: Produttori del Barbaresco Riserva 1997 - excellent - savoury although a tad feral - mainly cherries and old leather - 89

David

Which one? I know you have a few of them. Following an earlier discussion, I have left them alone for a while. Seems it may be time to try another.

dlo

Post by dlo »

rooman wrote:
dlo wrote: Produttori del Barbaresco Riserva Rio Sordo 1997 - excellent - savoury although a tad feral - mainly cherries and old leather - 89

David

Which one? I know you have a few of them. Following an earlier discussion, I have left them alone for a while. Seems it may be time to try another.

Fixed ..... depending on which "batch" you get your hands on, Mark ..... the original batch brought in by the importer was in top condition .... the second batch I sourced .... not in as good condition, but certainly not off. This bottle was from the second batch.
Cheers,

David

rooman

Post by rooman »

dlo wrote:
rooman wrote:
dlo wrote: Produttori del Barbaresco Riserva Rio Sordo 1997 - excellent - savoury although a tad feral - mainly cherries and old leather - 89

David

Fixed ..... depending on which "batch" you get your hands on, Mark ..... the original batch brought in by the importer was in top condition .... the second batch I sourced .... not in as good condition, but certainly not off. This bottle was from the second batch.
Not sure which batch I ended up with, purchased them on Langtons about 4-5 years ago. I have a Paje or Pora downstair (can't remember which) ready to drink soon to celebrate an Italian friend's wedding. I will post some comments. I also really enjoyed one you kindly send down to an offline in Melb a few years ago at the Oyster.

dlo

Post by dlo »

rooman wrote:
dlo wrote:
rooman wrote:

David

Not sure which batch I ended up with, purchased them on Langtons about 4-5 years ago. I have a Paje or Pora downstair (can't remember which) ready to drink soon to celebrate an Italian friend's wedding. I will post some comments. I also really enjoyed one you kindly send down to an offline in Melb a few years ago at the Oyster.

You've got the better batch.
Cheers,

David

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Henschke Mount Edelstone Shieaz 1998 - disgraceful - overbearing dimethyl sulphide and brettanomyces - undrinkable - 50

yet you give it a pass mark of 50/100?? i dont understand :lol:
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

rooman

Post by rooman »

dlo wrote:
rooman wrote:
dlo wrote:
rooman wrote:

David

You've got the better batch.
Excellent. I couldn't believe the value at the time and ended up with roughly 6 six packs of various vineyards. It was phenomenal value.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Brands Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 NOT the Laira. This is drinking very nicely now. Medium-bodied, savoury bacon notes under the mulberry fruit with a bit of blackberry, oak is well-integrated and in the background, seems to be a combination of french and american. Glad I opened this as I don't think it would have improved much with further cellaring even though the back label says up to 10 years. Cork seal. 89/100, agreeable.

Cheers

daz

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Daryl Douglas wrote:Brands Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 NOT the Laira. This is drinking very nicely now. Medium-bodied, savoury bacon notes under the mulberry fruit with a bit of blackberry, oak is well-integrated and in the background, seems to be a combination of french and american. Glad I opened this as I don't think it would have improved much with further cellaring even though the back label says up to 10 years. Cork seal. 89/100, agreeable.

Cheers

daz

They are the same wine, just labelled differently. The 'Laira' came a little later on via some rebranding.
GW

dlo

Post by dlo »

Craig(NZ) wrote:

I think it would be a lot easier to understand if you didn't score out of 109, Craig. :wink:
Cheers,

David

tcross

Post by tcross »

Daryl Douglas wrote:Brands Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 NOT the Laira. This is drinking very nicely now. Medium-bodied, savoury bacon notes under the mulberry fruit with a bit of blackberry, oak is well-integrated and in the background, seems to be a combination of french and american. Glad I opened this as I don't think it would have improved much with further cellaring even though the back label says up to 10 years. Cork seal. 89/100, agreeable.

Cheers

daz

Great - thanks for the tip: i have seven of these so i better get drinking :D

In your opinion would it be worth keeping a bottle or two even for 1 or 2 more years?

tc

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

tcross wrote:

Cheers

daz

Great - thanks for the tip: i have seven of these so i better get drinking :D

In your opinion would it be worth keeping a bottle or two even for 1 or 2 more years?

tc

It should hold for a couple of years or so if well-cellared, tc; there's still a bit of lively acid after breathing. As you have 7 bottles left, I'd suggest trying one soon then the rest at 6 monthly intervals.

Cheers

daz

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Gary W wrote:

Cheers

daz

They are the same wine, just labelled differently. The 'Laira' came a little later on via some rebranding.
GW

Thanks Gary, I wasn't sure if it was the same wine, a different bottling or what. Strange that it wasn't labelled Laira from day one though as it's a label with some history to it.

Cheers

daz

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Craig(NZ) wrote:

Around 75 is considered a pass mark in the 100 point scale Craig so 50 is pretty dire.

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Weekend gear list for me

Domaine A Clape Les Vin des Amis 2007
Domaine Chignard Fleurie Les Moriers 2007
Domaine C&P Breton Bourgueil Clos Senechal 2007

And a '07 Burgundy lunch today in the Barossa

Christan Moreau Chablis AC 2007
Christan Moreau Chablis 1er Vaillons 2007
William Fevre Chablis 1er Montmains 2007
William Fevre Chablis 1er Fourchaume 2007
William Fevre Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos 2007
Comte Lafon Macon-Mille-Lamartine Clos du Four 2007
Jean-Claude Boisset Monthelie Blanc 2007
Jean-Claude Boisset Moret-St-Denis Blanc 2007
Jean-Marc Vincent Santenay 1er Le Beaurepaire Blanc 2007
Jean Marc Vincent Santenay 1er Le Beaurepaire Rouge 2007
Daniel Rion Cotes de Nuits Village Le Vaucrain 2007
Daniel Rion Nuits-St-Georges Les Lavieres 2007
Jean Claude Boisset Nuits-St_Georges Aux Lavieres 2007
Daniel Rion Nuit-St-Georges 1er Les Vignes Rondes 2007
Jean Claude Boisset Vosne-Romanee Les Jacquines 2007
Daniel Rion Vosne Romanee 1er Beauxmonts 2007
Jean Claude Boisset Vosne Romanee Grand Cru Romanee-St-Vivant 2007
Daniel Rion Grand Cru Cru Clos Vougeot 2007
Marc Chauvet Champagne 2002
Jean Claude Boisset Chory-Les-Beaune Les Beaumonts 2007
Jean Claude Boisset Morey-St-Denis 1er Clos des Ormes 2005
Mommessin La Forge de Tart 2004
Lowburn Ferry Pinot Noir 2006

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Spinifex Papillon 2008
Great stuff, tell tale Grenache nose with musk, shattered candy-cane and some cherries, with a very fruitfully sweet palate, quite long and textural. Very Australian, with a firm biff of the big fruit punch but also quite lightweight and food friendly. Should develop a bit and quite positively, I suspect, over the next year or so.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

John #11

Post by John #11 »

2007 Thorn Clarke Shotfire Shiraz
A gold medal winner, inexpensive, a lot of wine for the money, some early complexity, gorgeous purity of fruit and Barossa chocolate, exceptional balance, and luxurious length. exceptional wine.

2006 Shaw and Smith Shiraz
A shiraz viognier mix that pulls it off very nicely, every time. A little bottle age has done very nicely. Smooth, fine fruited, soft and warm tannins, one bottle is just not enough. exceptional+

1999 Seppelts Dorrien Cabernet Sauvignon
Lovely aged nose, savoury red and black fruit, with maybe a touch of bin 389.
Herbal, leafy, mulchy, red and black fruit, quite good balance, and medium finish. Exceptionally gluggable, smooth, integrated wood and tannins.
Drink now. Not as nice as the 1998, but very enjoyable. Very good.
Last edited by John #11 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pelican

Post by Pelican »

Jeremy wrote "In a couple of email conversations with Vanya, she IS really wrapped by the 2007 vintage. It's not my sorta stuff, but she loved what the vintage did for the grapes and flavours, so she's genuine...in reply to Pelican"

Jeremy , just to clarify : the vintage ratings covered not 2007 alone but wines back to early 1990's for eg. the Diana Madelaine is all 5 stars from 1995 to 2007 inclusive ! Compare the more "humble" ratings from somewhere like Mt Mary on their website that at least admit to some variations.

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Pelican wrote:Jeremy wrote "In a couple of email conversations with Vanya, she IS really wrapped by the 2007 vintage. It's not my sorta stuff, but she loved what the vintage did for the grapes and flavours, so she's genuine...in reply to Pelican"

Jeremy , just to clarify : the vintage ratings covered not 2007 alone but wines back to early 1990's for eg. the Diana Madelaine is all 5 stars from 1995 to 2007 inclusive ! Compare the more "humble" ratings from somewhere like Mt Mary on their website that at least admit to some variations.

Gotta agree with you, Pelican, this style of 'rating' is quite disappointing, reminds me of Robin Bradleys Gold Book where many proprietors/wine makers rate virtually every wine they've ever made at 7/7 or at a pinch 6/7.
Henschke with their Vintage Chart are in the same camp - will not call a single vintage of any wine of theirs less than 'very good' although 3 rungs exist below this on the ladder.

Bick

Post by Bick »

Mixed bag of some cheaper wines and a few tasted at a couple of dinners out on the town.

Corbans Cottage Block Chardonnay 07 - very good, rich, fruity and full bodied with real persistence. I may get some more of this. :D
Stoneleigh Chardonnay 08 - not up to much; rather weak (taste not alc) and lacking in character. :|
Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz Cabernet 06 - Ok; McWine :|
Te Whare Ra Gewurtztraminer 07 - pretty good; balanced, spicy without being a charicature gewurtz, off-dry. Tasty. :)
Yering Station Shiraz Viognier 06 - went down well with Beef Rendang - strange partnering perhaps, but enjoyable enough. :)
Gravitas Pinot Noir 07 - lovely, with nicely concentrated fruit. :)
Lake Chalice Botrytised Riesling - not sure of the vintage; this lacked the density and richness I look for in a sticky. :|
Brown Brothers Shiraz 06 - from memory not as good as 05, but not bad for a cheap mid-week quaffer. :|
Cheers,
Mike

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Pelican and Mark S- cheers for the input, always appreciated. Thought it was just a reference to the 07 vintage. Anyway, I am here for different opinions, ideas and to learn. Sounds like platitudinous nonsense, but it's true none the less. And I am also a loudmouth, so that hopefully balances out my platitudinous nonsense anyway :D