TN: Stonehorse Shirax 2002

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Guest_Anders

TN: Stonehorse Shirax 2002

Post by Guest_Anders »

Hi,

Had this wine over the weekend and here are my thoughts and impressions.

Stonehorse Shiraz 2002

Dark DARK purple:

Fruit, fruit and more FRUIT on the nose. Blackberries (almost like essence,or like a blackberry liqueur) and plum and some oak.

The blackberries and plum appears again in abundance on the palate, There's also chocolate and some very fine powdery tannins.

BIG, concentrated and fruity. I wasn't quite sure what I thought at first, but have to admit that I liked it. I am not sure what I would serve with a wine like that, except for a thick steak on a BBQ. I had it with beef burgundy and I thought the wine not coplex enough. But on the 2nd day the wine had developed a bit more complexity as the fruit had mellowed a little bit and integrated with the oak and the powdery tannins.

My guess is that the wine will not keep for that long and I'll drink my bottles within 3 - 5 year.

Regards,

Anders

PS. Apologies for any spelling mistakes.

Ed W

Post by Ed W »

anders

difficult food match indeed, maybe chargrilled kangaroo steak with a sweetish red wine vinegar sauce. or honey-marinated BBQ pork a la canton.

Ed

jacques

Post by jacques »

I tried one this week.
Not doubt it is a big wine but in my opinion, it taste too fruity and too sweet.
Sure it has a good cellar potential but wonder what it will taste like few year later.