1998 in the shaddows?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
rens

1998 in the shaddows?

Post by rens »

I want to buy some penfolds bin 389. I want either the 1996 or the 1998. I can not buy both. I can only buy one of these. I've had the 1996 and it was a fine wine with many years to go. The price of the 1996 is some 15-20% higher than the 1998.
From what I've read and heard, the 1998 is a great vintage. Is it living in the shadow of the 1996?
Can they be seperated in a blind tasting? Has anyone compared the two in this way. Your feedback would be great.

orpheus

Re: 1998 in the shaddows?

Post by orpheus »

rens wrote:I want to buy some penfolds bin 389. I want either the 1996 or the 1998. I can not buy both. I can only buy one of these. I've had the 1996 and it was a fine wine with many years to go. The price of the 1996 is some 15-20% higher than the 1998.
From what I've read and heard, the 1998 is a great vintage. Is it living in the shadow of the 1996?
Can they be seperated in a blind tasting? Has anyone compared the two in this way. Your feedback would be great.

I have not tasted the two in a blind tasting. However, I have had both. Time is revealing (I think) that, on the whole, 1996 was the greater vintage in SOuth Australia generally. If I had to chose, I would probably punt for the 1996.

oakboy

Post by oakboy »

Have had both over the last 2 years, and both are mighty good. Not much between the 2 but if you save a little money on wine go the 98, it's still too show it's greatness....

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Yes i have had both and it would only come down to 98 penfolds corks . I Have been lucky but a few guys have had a bad run with 98

Why not get a bit of both :wink: How many bottles were you wanting?

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

rens

Post by rens »

dazza1968 wrote:Yes i have had both and it would only come down to 98 penfolds corks . I Have been lucky but a few guys have had a bad run with 98

Why not get a bit of both :wink: How many bottles were you wanting?

Regards Dazza

Looking at getting six. The problem is the ones that are priced reasonably mostly sell in a box of six. I don't really want 12.

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

1998 is hardly in the in the shadow of 1996 ... it was much more hyped, and led by a 99 point Grange from Parker.

But I'd go with the 1996. Blue chip vintage ... more but is worth it imo.
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

platinum

Post by platinum »

I have had many of both since release and have been lucky enough not to have had a bad bottle of either. I think considering prices i would go the 98. The 96 389 has always been regarded as better but I think the younger 98 had closed the gap a little on my last try of both.

Irregular

Post by Irregular »

I'm attending a mini 389 vertical tomorrow night, both these vintages are 'on the list' will post my thoughts.

rens

Post by rens »

Irregular wrote:I'm attending a mini 389 vertical tomorrow night, both these vintages are 'on the list' will post my thoughts.

Fantastic.
I look forward to your notes.

Irregular

Post by Irregular »

Ah, there won't be notes, impressions at best :roll:

John #11

Post by John #11 »

Irregular wrote:Ah, there won't be notes, impressions at best :roll:

Why not?

rens

Post by rens »

Irregular wrote:Ah, there won't be notes, impressions at best :roll:

No problem.
Numbers work best for me.
86=96>98

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

96 is more classic and elegant. 98 is more of a heavy hitter but still excellent.

Both terrific wines. I'd vote 96 though, just.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Irregular

Post by Irregular »

From last night …. both are fabulous wines with the ’96 being the standout at present. The ’98 is also a great wine and will possibly even be longer lived as it’s not as approachable just yet (given the mere 2 year vintage gap). So if you’re contemplating drinking ‘soonish’, the ’96 for sure, if cellaring for 10 years is your objective, either wine will reward handsomely.

No notes, my 389 recollections by flight, all wines decanted and vintages known:

72, 87, 88 – no expectations for the 72 given its age, but it sang, beautiful wine with a divine nose. From a somewhat maligned year, the 87 was good, the 88 still going strong and better than the 87.

93, 94 – the 93 was good, however the 94 (not a vintage often written up or talked about) was a highlight, snuck up on us all - terrific wine.

90, 91 – a couple of heavyweight vintages, these didn’t disappoint. Both fantastic.

Bin 820 – thrown into the mix masked. A cab/shiraz blend from an excellent Coonawarra vintage. A very good wine entering its declining phase, it’s holding but certainly won’t improve. Really good and an interesting contrast to the 389’s. Would like to have tried one 5+ years ago.

86, 96, 06 – decades of 389! The 86 was brilliant, lots happening in the glass, the 96 likewise great and will follow the path of the 86. The 06 polarised opinion re aroma/nose – I love the spicy aromas of aged wine and I’m similarly often put off by the pungent ‘in your face’ undeveloped nose of very young wines – such was the 06 last night, I didn’t want to smell it as it had no elegance on the nose whatsoever, with time in the glass it was approachable. It will cellar well. Most thought the 05 will be a better wine than the 06 with a decade plus in the cellar.

98, 05 – 98 is so ‘fresh’ will be another brilliant 389, give it another decade! 05 will be very good also.

We had some awesome wines last night with the range proving its deserved stature and ability to age. Best wines? We all had differing opinions, which makes it all the better.
cheers

griff

Post by griff »

Thanks for the notes! I think 94 reds from Barossa are really good!

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

rens

Post by rens »

Thanks for the notes. That's exactly what I needed. Have also been lucky enough to have ha dthe 1986 389 2 years ago. I thought it was an awsome wine then. Shame its getting to rare and expensive. I think I'll go the 1998. I like a little oomph in my reds.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

griff wrote:Thanks for the notes! I think 94 reds from Barossa are really good!

cheers

Carl
Yes i agree its been an unsung hero slowly creeping up on us !

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

I have just one bottle each of 1998:

Wynns John Riddoch cabernet
Wynns Michael shiraz
Petaluma Coonawarra cabernet/merlot
Tahbilk 1860s Vines shiraz
Tahbilk Reserve cabernet
Tahbilk Reserve shiraz
Penfolds Bin 389 cabernet shiraz
Penfolds Bin 707 cabernet.

I think that's all of the 98s I have. There's one wine of those that I think should be ready to drink now, or at least soon, before it is past its best.

Which one do you think that is? Opinions of all would be appreciated if they've been tasted within the last year.

Cheers

daz

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Daryl Douglas wrote:I have just one bottle each of 1998:

Wynns Michael shiraz
Tahbilk Reserve cabernet
Tahbilk Reserve shiraz

I think that's all of the 98s I have. There's one wine of those that I think should be ready to drink now, or at least soon, before it is past its best.

Which one do you think that is? Opinions of all would be appreciated if they've been tasted within the last year.

Cheers

daz

I don't know much about Tabhilk to be honest, but I reckon the Petaluma probably would be doing pretty well about now.
Cheers
Wayno

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Not the Petaluma. This may be a bit of a quiz, so think about the wineries and the varieties. After all, it's just my thoughts about which to drink first. Recent tasting notes of the nominated wines would be appreciated.

Cheers

daz

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

2nd and final thought - Wynns Michael perhaps.
Cheers
Wayno

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Daryl Douglas wrote:I have just one bottle each of 1998:

Wynns Michael shiraz
Tahbilk Reserve cabernet
Tahbilk Reserve shiraz

Cheers

daz
Hello Daz I have had the Wynns Michael over the last 6 months and it would be a shame to kill a young red Its handling the oak really well Rich Black fruit comes thru once you give it time to Breathe . At the taste off we also had 91,94,96,97,04 so alot of range to be had apart from 03,05 The 91 Michael was giving every thing on the nose and i relate the 98 to this wine .....Regards Dazza P.S I know this is quite Vain but what about going in line with Dollar value of the wine

Regards Dazza

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Yeah Wayno, it was the Michael I had in mind to drink soon but Dazza's comment may cause me to leave it for a few more years.

Thanks guys

daz