Help needed - Shirz Mataro

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter

Help needed - Shirz Mataro

Post by 707 »

Hi guys, I'm thinking of doing a Shiraz Mataro(Mourverdre) tasting and would appreciate suggestions for what should be in the line up. Any price range is ok.

Thanks for your suggestions for previous tastings. We had the Shiraz Viognier (blind) tasting last week. I had trouble seperating five of the ten wines for top honours but when the bags came off Torbreck RunRig 2005 had just edged out Standish The Relic 2006. The other three right on their heels were Castagna Genesis 2005, Clonakilla 2006 and the bargain buy at a fraction of the price of the rest Sons of Eden Zephyrus 2006.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions on the Shiraz Mataro
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Shouldn't any serious Shiraz Mataro tasting include a Wendouree?
"It is very hard to make predictions, especially about the future." Samuel Goldwyn

griff

Post by griff »

Not a huge number on the market.

Veritas Bull's blood has to be in there.

Also Marius, Deisen and Spinifex. Perhaps Glaymond as well.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

Marius Symposium, Hahn, Hewitson Ned & Henrys

I think Coriole do one too.
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

As well as the above, the 2007 Some Young Punks "Drink ‘n Stick", Fleurieu Peninsula Mataro & McLaren Vale Shiraz might be worth a go too. At the very least I reckon the guys will get a kick out of the label. 8)

http://www.someyoungpunks.com.au/

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

Try Murray Street Vineyards Benno shiraz mataro 04. Expensive, but worth it, really yummy stuff.
The other one that got me excited was Hewitson 05 Private Cellar shiraz mourvedre. Again, expensive, but worth the money, if you can find it.
03 and 04 Standish Relic are both excellent wines IMO.
Bruce
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Brucer wrote:Try Murray Street Vineyards Benno shiraz mataro 04. Expensive, but worth it, really yummy stuff.
The other one that got me excited was Hewitson 05 Private Cellar shiraz mourvedre. Again, expensive, but worth the money, if you can find it.
03 and 04 Standish Relic are both excellent wines IMO.
Bruce

I should have remembered the MSV Benno - it's expensive but just finding the 04 could be a problem - it got very popular after Halliday gave it a huge write up.

Lou Miranda Estate also has an Old Vine Shiraz Mourvedre that might be worth a shot for the tasting too Steve:
http://www.loumirandaestate.com.au/index.php?id=21

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

In yesterday's post is Tyrrell's mailer for their 08 reds, none of which is from the Hunter. But they have a Barossa Shiraz Mataro in there too. Ring the cellar door...
cheers,
Graeme

Mandingo

Post by Mandingo »

Hey Steve

What about the Rudderless Shiraz Mataro - I thought it was a cracker for around the $35 mark

John