First schoolnight of winter

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
griff

First schoolnight of winter

Post by griff »

for the rest of Australia. WA had a public holiday :)

Drinking a 2005 Brokenwood Mistress Block Shiraz
Lovely Hunter red. Still a youthful dark red colour. Chameleon nose. Coffee, chocolate, plums, blackcurrant, earth and dried flowers. Even some caramel. Palate has a silky feel and tastes of satsuma plums, chocolate and pink peppercorns. Very fine tannins on the lingering finish that build up after a glass. Excellent wine with potential!

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

monghead

Post by monghead »

Hello all.

Yes, the first school night of winter.

And what are we drinking at home? Well, riesling of course...

2008 Helm Premium Riesling
Absolutely sensational! Limes, ruby grapefruit, and guavas. Tight acidity, focussed, and exceptional length.

The winter reds can wait!

Cheers,

Monghead.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

2001 Ballast stone shirazQuite oaky with streams of smoky bacon charactors(oak Doing its thing),blackberries . quite one dimensional really :roll: Still very nice and no hints of drying out and tannins have softened nicely will age a while,maybe another 2 years IMO .no improvement from here. lovely with a bbq and good people to drink it with.

98 Penfold Bin 28 shirazwas a bit disturbed after the 98 tasting so opened one of mine to double check . Dark red with some rimming on the Glass (Not brown with caramel edges like the other one this week) wow fruit was alive and well smokey plum,blue berry was there as well and i havent noted this before :?: Softening right out and silky smooth with just a nice amount of tannin to keep it going a while .To be honest this wine has not held up as well a expected and with the wow factor surrounding the 98 vintage just maybe its not as good as what has been anticipated :?: IMO

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

dazza1968 wrote:
98 Penfold Bin 28 shirazwas a bit disturbed after the 98 tasting so opened one of mine to double check . Dark red with some rimming on the Glass (Not brown with caramel edges like the other one this week) wow fruit was alive and well smokey plum,blue berry was there as well and i havent noted this before :?: Softening right out and silky smooth with just a nice amount of tannin to keep it going a while .To be honest this wine has not held up as well a expected and with the wow factor surrounding the 98 vintage just maybe its not as good as what has been anticipated :?: IMO

Regards Dazza

I haven't had a 98 28 for awhile but on last try about a year ago, it was drinking extremely well, with years to go still. Bottle lottery!
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Wayno wrote:
dazza1968 wrote:

Regards Dazza

I haven't had a 98 28 for awhile but on last try about a year ago, it was drinking extremely well, with years to go still. Bottle lottery!
Is that the cork lottery 8) I think you could be right will have a 99 this week to really give me a feel

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

PaulV

Post by PaulV »

monghead wrote:Hello all.

Yes, the first school night of winter.

And what are we drinking at home? Well, riesling of course...

2008 Helm Premium Riesling
Absolutely sensational! Limes, ruby grapefruit, and guavas. Tight acidity, focussed, and exceptional length.

The winter reds can wait!

Cheers,

Monghead.

Agree lovely wine - the Classic is just as good in a fresher more open style - and what a nose!

Cheers

Paul

rooman

Post by rooman »

Wayno wrote:
dazza1968 wrote:

Regards Dazza

I also had one out of the cellar recently. Given I only paid $16 or $17 at the time, I thought it is bloody good drinking now and great value for money.

oakboy

Re: First schoolnight of winter

Post by oakboy »

griff wrote:for the rest of Australia. WA had a public holiday :)

Drinking a 2005 Brokenwood Mistress Block Shiraz
Lovely Hunter red. Still a youthful dark red colour. Chameleon nose. Coffee, chocolate, plums, blackcurrant, earth and dried flowers. Even some caramel. Palate has a silky feel and tastes of satsuma plums, chocolate and pink peppercorns. Very fine tannins on the lingering finish that build up after a glass. Excellent wine with potential!

cheers

Carl

Smashing wine this 2005 Missy Block, one of the hunter's great single vineyard.... etc etc. Glad to see another enjoy a Hunter red

tonight

2007 Taylors Estate shiraz
nice clare style, a great quaffing wine despite a bad year??!?

My current Favorite Seppelts Mt Ida shiraz 2005
excellent big and bold wine that needs a 2 hour decant at this stage, but will go well with a some cellaring!

Clonakilla Jack Reidy Shiraz 2008
Lovely white pepper, red berry style, sit's on your tongue and wonderfully slides down the sides... for a very young wine this has alot of time in front of it.

cheers all
Simmo

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Myself, currently drinking Gloucester Ridge (Pemberton) 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon. OK, without being especially rich - in fact, a little short.

The owners of Gloucester Ridge have recently sold out – not to another winery, but to a property developer, who is ripping out the 25 year old vines, and turning the site into 150 residential lots. That’s the retirement nest egg for the owners.

The last of the wine was sold off recently.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

98 Lilydale cab/mer Yarra Valley .

This is a very good red still holding well (alot better than 99 imo) bought a carton of both and ended up giving half the 99's away as pressies :!: Mind you if you have any drink up as will not improve any more :cry:

Regards Dazza

Bick

Post by Bick »

My second to last bottle of this, and probably the best yet:

Newton-Forrest Cornerstone 02
Pretty close to being an equally weighted blend of cab sauv, merlot and malbec. This was a spotless bottle, with plenty of life left. Nice, deep, purply-red; berry fruit and plum, backed by lovely, subtle but lingering pencil box oak and what are still quite furry tannins. Fair bit of fruity acid on the finish. Pristine, long cork; 14.4%. This bottle would have benefitted from more time under the house really, but the previous one was more than ready to drink. What to do with the last one? :?
Cheers,
Mike

John #11

Post by John #11 »

2006 Illuminati Riparosso
(Montepulciano D'Abruzzo - Italia)
Purpley-red, gleaming
Nice nose of red cherries, musk, minerals and spicey oak.
Very smooth, balanced wine with ripe fruit, with both red and dark cherries, and berries, some subdued chocolate, subdued but drying tannins, and nice acidity, and nice oak. Damn good length for such an inexpensive wine.
Very food friendly (pasta, savoury meals, vintage cheeses) and drinking well now, will go for at least 5 years.
Cork
<$12
90points

Another great recommendation from Gary.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Hoddles Creek Chardonnay 07

Love this wine - consistently excellent.

Henschke Johanns Garden GSM 2005
Very 'vinous' with an overwhelming nose of Ribena but not a Cabernet grape in sight. Leather, pepper, boiled sweets and jam on the palate. A touch heavy handed but very impressive.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

griff

Post by griff »

2003 Yalumba handpicked Shiraz Viognier
Very dark red. Quite a tarry nose. Strong tar and creosote flavours and quite savoury. Dense wine but a little unfocused. Agreeable.
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

ross67

Post by ross67 »

[quote

Regards Dazza[/quote]

For mine Dazza every 28 i have had has been very good. I still have one left and i still look out for this wine on auction.

This was the wine i chose to celebrate Manly's epic GF victory last year....how sweet it was :D

Not sure about this yr though :?

ross

rooman

Post by rooman »

ross67 wrote:[quote

Regards Dazza

For mine Dazza every 28 i have had has been very good. I still have one left and i still look out for this wine on auction.

This was the wine i chose to celebrate Manly's epic GF victory last year....how sweet it was :D

Not sure about this yr though :?

ross[/quote]
Could be worse, you could be a sharks' supporter.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Allright, 2 AFNs in a row, enough is enough, I'm on my way home to raid the cellar!