Wine consumer survey

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
trentwine

Wine consumer survey

Post by trentwine »

Hi forumites
I am completing a PhD at Adelaide Uni in the areas of wine sensory science and consumer behaviour.
As part of the project, I am surveying as wide a cross section of Australian wine consumers as I can access and I thought that this might be of interest to members of the forum.
The survey is online here http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=h ... pz0g_3d_3d and takes about 15 minutes to complete.
I am also planning a consumer tasting in both Adelaide and Melbourne later in the year and there is a section where you can notify your interest in attending that.
I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to complete the survey and perhaps pass on the link to any of your wine drinking friends who are not members of the forum, so that it reaches a broad sample of consumers.
Thanks for your help with this.

Trent

griff

Re: Wine consumer survey

Post by griff »

trentwine wrote:Hi forumites
I am completing a PhD at Adelaide Uni in the areas of wine sensory science and consumer behaviour.
As part of the project, I am surveying as wide a cross section of Australian wine consumers as I can access and I thought that this might be of interest to members of the forum.
The survey is online here http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=h ... pz0g_3d_3d and takes about 15 minutes to complete.
I am also planning a consumer tasting in both Adelaide and Melbourne later in the year and there is a section where you can notify your interest in attending that.
I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to complete the survey and perhaps pass on the link to any of your wine drinking friends who are not members of the forum, so that it reaches a broad sample of consumers.
Thanks for your help with this.

Trent

Hi Trent. Good luck with the PhD (doing one at the moment as well).

Just wondering what sample you are expecting to get? This forum has interested wine drinkers and may be slightly different to the norm? As long as you don't want a representative sample then happy to help! :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

trentwine

Post by trentwine »

Hi Carl
Thanks for your interest. Just trying to get as wide a cross section of consumers as possible and the forum members would fit nicely into one of the segments that I think are in the market, so I don't think that it will bias the sample too much.
Cheers

Trent

griff

Post by griff »

trentwine wrote:Hi Carl
Thanks for your interest. Just trying to get as wide a cross section of consumers as possible and the forum members would fit nicely into one of the segments that I think are in the market, so I don't think that it will bias the sample too much.
Cheers

Trent

In that case I'll do the survey :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

I will to But only beacuse you have carl :wink: Well not really :roll:

Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

rooman

Post by rooman »

Interesting survey but does take a while. I think I failed the description for Vedelho. :lol: Can't remember the last time I trying one of these.

Davo

Post by Davo »

Interesting survey, unfortunately brought a few things into perspective. I think I might be an addict, and I definitely will not be sharing some of the answers with the better half :oops: :lol:

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Ha, yeah the Verdehlo description had me stumped too. I don't think I've ever bought one. May be time to try it!
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Davo wrote:Interesting survey, unfortunately brought a few things into perspective. I think I might be an addict, and I definitely will not be sharing some of the answers with the better half :oops: :lol:
Davo Love is a wonderful thing :mrgreen:
Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

ufo

Post by ufo »

Well, what's the correct answer for the Verdelho question ?

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

I have never successfully picked Verdelho at a blind tasting. Perhaps it lacks any defining varietal characteristics, or maybe I've got a hopeless palate.
Interestingly, I don't think I have ever bought a bottle of it, either. This may explain something. :roll:
Did the survey............... interesting. Looks likely to produce some useful info.
Last edited by Roscoe on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is very hard to make predictions, especially about the future." Samuel Goldwyn

griff

Post by griff »

ufo wrote:Well, what's the correct answer for the Verdelho question ?

Tut! Tut! Can't spoil the survey :)

cheers

Carl

Davo

Post by Davo »

ufo wrote:Well, what's the correct answer for the Verdelho question ?

There is no correct answer, except to say that your answer is the correct answer. It is a survey not a general knowledge exam :roll:

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Actually, I thought the first page was a general knowledge exam. I thought the idea was to gauge your level of knowledge which would then put your following answers in context.

For example, the is a correct answer to the question who is the biggest wine company in the world, etc.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

I think verdelho is very specific in its smell - it's all tutti-frutti and fruit salady - very obvious and often a bit musky with it. None of the descriptors offered in the survey fit..
GW

Davo

Post by Davo »

bacchaebabe wrote:Actually, I thought the first page was a general knowledge exam. I thought the idea was to gauge your level of knowledge which would then put your following answers in context.

For example, the is a correct answer to the question who is the biggest wine company in the world, etc.

Exactly, that is why the only correct answer is the one you give, eh???

Davo

Post by Davo »

Gary W wrote:I think verdelho is very specific in its smell - it's all tutti-frutti and fruit salady - very obvious and often a bit musky with it. None of the descriptors offered in the survey fit..
GW

Hunter or Great Southern?

rooman

Post by rooman »

Gary W wrote:I think verdelho is very specific in its smell - it's all tutti-frutti and fruit salady - very obvious and often a bit musky with it. None of the descriptors offered in the survey fit..
GW
thank you. i kept wanting to tick a couple of the boxes. I remember it seemed a decent half way house between chard and sauv blanc but with no real depth.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Davo wrote:
GW

I'm not familiar with Gt Southern Verdelho Davo?
Margaret, Hunter and Swan make the best ones for my tastes.
GW

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

I had a Hunter Verdelho a couple of months ago that I found in the corner of the cellar. I thought it would be past it but it was:

Luscious, rich, citrus, toasty, honeyed, so I picked that one.

Actually, I posted details on the forum at the time and remember saying something like liquid marmalade.

In the survey there wasn't really a description for how often I drink wine.

I have wine most days but usually have one or two AFDs a week. So that is somewhere between Every Day and A Few times a week. I suspect there would be several others on this forum in the same boat.
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Davo

Post by Davo »

Gary W wrote:
Davo wrote:
GW

I'm not familiar with Gt Southern Verdelho Davo?
Margaret, Hunter and Swan make the best ones for my tastes.
GW

I think most of the verdelho marketed in the swan is made from fruit from the Great Southern (+/- Gingin/Moondah Brook)

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Davo wrote:[I think most of the verdelho marketed in the swan is made from fruit from the Great Southern (+/- Gingin/Moondah Brook)

Davo, is that true? I was under the impression that one of the reasons verdelho does so well in the Swan is because it comes from that warm / hot climate, not the Great Southern. Fully agree with Gin Gin / Bindoon, however, for the same reasons.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Davo

Post by Davo »

Waiters Friend wrote:
Davo wrote:[I think most of the verdelho marketed in the swan is made from fruit from the Great Southern (+/- Gingin/Moondah Brook)

Davo, is that true? I was under the impression that one of the reasons verdelho does so well in the Swan is because it comes from that warm / hot climate, not the Great Southern. Fully agree with Gin Gin / Bindoon, however, for the same reasons.

Kosovich (Westfield) comes from Manjimup (Bronzewing Estate), I think Sandalford from the same area, Houghton from Gingin, Talijancich I am uncertain.

Not something I have done a great deal of research into though I must admit, as much as I do like the variety.

Bick

Post by Bick »

I did your survey, Trentwine, so you have some Kiwi input now (albeit from a Brit).

I didn't have a problem with the verdelho personally - I thought the correct descriptor option was pretty clear - but then I had a nice one a few weeks ago (it wasn't an aussie wine, perhaps that helped :wink: ).
Cheers,
Mike

Davo

Post by Davo »

You guys don't think that discussing answers here will cause some bias in the survey ?

griff

Post by griff »

Davo wrote:You guys don't think that discussing answers here will cause some bias in the survey ?

Hear, Hear!

cheers

Carl

pokolbinguy

Post by pokolbinguy »

trentwine,

Survey completed for you. Might even get to met you in person, I am moving to Adelaide to study wine making at Adelaide Uni....so completely understand the need for these surveys.

Keep up the good work and good luck with the PhD.

pcjm

Post by pcjm »

Finished the survey too, I wonder if the question "Does the type of closure have any influence on whether you buy a bottle or not?" was included what people's reactions might be.

trentwine

Post by trentwine »

Hi woodwardbrett and pcjm
Thanks for your help by completing the survey.
I agree that the question about bottle closure would have been an excellent addition and I will keep it in mind for next time - you try and cover everything that you feel is important but inevitably something will find a crack and slip through it.
woodwardbrett - if you are coming to Adelaide to start the post grad oenology degree in July, then we will certainly cross paths. My principal supervisor, Dr Sue Bastian, teaches the sensory studies subject which is taken in the first semester and I assist her in the practicals.
If you are doing the undergrad degree, then you will do that subject in 2nd year, although you will have some contact with Sue in your 1st year.
Good luck with your forthcoming studies.
Cheers

Trent

trentwine

Re: Wine consumer survey

Post by trentwine »

Hi forumites
Many thanks to everyone who completed the survey which is now closed. > 1100 responses in all, so now have to crunch the numbers. Should be a good story to tell.
Cheers

Trent