Possible silly question - aging champagne

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Anonymous

Possible silly question - aging champagne

Post by Anonymous »

Hey guys,

Thinking about buying a 1999 Bottle of Don Perignon and not openning it until at least 2025 (for a special occasion). Just wondering, will the wine go bad? Planning to store it under the house or in the back of the closet on its side.

I understand that the tast may not get a lot better when it is the year 2025, but would I be right in assuming that it will still be a fine bottle of champagne (and not taste 'off') and worth a pretty penny?

Frank

Ageing Champagne

Post by Frank »

It's not such a silly question.

After 15 years in your cellar, it will loose some of it's bubbles, but it should not oxidise since the bottle is pressurised with CO2.

Some people like aged Champagne, while others prefer to buy a late disgorged Champagne (which can be very pricey). Aged champagne can become like a fine old white burgundy with a few bubbles.

I recently had a Krug NV which had been sitting in my cellar for about 10 years, and I have a couple 1990 La Grande Dame sitting there. The Krug was very drinkable and I don't have any doubts about the LGDs.

monghead

Post by monghead »

One thing you need to be wary of is whether you will enjoy an aged champagne.

For myself, I am not sure I do as yet. Tried some aged examples, and though I acknowledge they are great wines, do not get the same enjoyment from a younger, zestier champagne.

I reckon you should buy an older bottle, and try it before you lay down a prestige champagne for 15+ years, because these are great drinking on release usually...

Cheers,

Monghead.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Go for it. It'll likely last that long if you store it well. Beware of daily temperature fluctuations for storing wines for this long. That will be your biggest enemy. Keep it dark, keep it stable (not being vibrated by anything), and keep it at as constant temperature as is possible. Ideal temp is cooler the better, but 13-17 degrees celsius seems to be acceptable. No need to test out if you do or don't like aged champers , in my opinion. By 2025, it'll be a wonderful experience to drink regardless.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I agree with Cuttlefish. Go for it.

Cheers...............Mahmoud.

Eboracum

Post by Eboracum »

I agree with Cuttlefish and Mahmoud Ali but would emphasise what he says about storage.

I have a passive cellar with quite wide but gradual seasonal temperature fluctuations. 12°C most winters, but as low as 9° this year, up to 19° most summers peaking at 21° for a few days in torrid 2003 (16° today).

Of all my wines Champagne is the one which resists this treatment least well. My bottles of Bollinger 1988 were particularly disappointing, cheesy, when I opened them two or three years ago and my friends with air conditioned cellars comment on the lack of freshness of my older Champagnes even when they are far less bad than those Bollys.

On the other hand my 1970 Ch. Ducru-Beaucaillou was just fine the last time I opened one.
Eboracum