Mailing list calls from call centres

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
malliemcg

Mailing list calls from call centres

Post by malliemcg »

I was wondering if anyone else has been called (or getting missed calls) from 0870025602. (From what I've gathered it's a call centre placing calls for Wirra Wirra - no idea what it's about as I just called them back and said please remove thankfully no spiel).

I'm jack of it and was wondering if anyone else copped it and if it's fair to send an unhappy email to Wirra Wirra saying "oi! - don't mind the wines, but will probably be buying something else for a while."

pokolbinguy

Post by pokolbinguy »

Got the same phone call the other day...the lady on the other end was nice enough though and wasn't pushy. However didn't like the idea of emailing me the details so I could think about it...had to be over the phone..lost me there and then.

this link is interesting

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/0870025602

Mandingo

Post by Mandingo »

Missed 3 calls from them in the last 3 days - no message left on my phone. I will be removing my name from the mailing list!

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Seems quite a few wineries are doing it these days. I don't mind the calls but, as above, would prefer an email I can mull over and do a bit of research on. I very rarely buy wines over the phone so it's a bit of a waste of their time and money really. And as for putting their customers off ... it's not really in their best interests, is it?
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

The only time I've had this was when a winery was closing down and enlisted a call centre to shift the stock at reduced prices. Got a couple of decent deals.

Cheers

Dave

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

bacchaebabe wrote:Seems quite a few wineries are doing it these days. I don't mind the calls but, as above, would prefer an email I can mull over and do a bit of research on. I very rarely buy wines over the phone so it's a bit of a waste of their time and money really. And as for putting their customers off ... it's not really in their best interests, is it?

Bingo me too. Bests keep on ringing up and I tell them I'm not making a $300 decision over the phone. I quite like their wines but will never buy on a 5 sec blurb by someone reading a list over the phone. I tell them send me an email so I can go over properly. Rochford in YV are the same.

ross67

Post by ross67 »

I get the same from Balgownie at semi regular intervals.
Always pleasant and ask if it is a good time and the like. I couldn't say they are pushy....but yes i too rarely if ever buy wine over the phone.

ross

monghead

Post by monghead »

Get these from Gralyn and Kilikanoon, about once a year. Have not bought off them as yet though.

Monghead.

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

I got my first, from Voyager, a couple of weeks ago. I just said I'd overspent on wine recently so was holding back - would have been dreadfully snobby to say I wasn't going to make my purchase decisions based on TNs read to me over the phone by someone I'd never met.
3, 65, 7, 50

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

Yep, had heaps. They dont let the phone ring long enough. Bloody annoying. I am on a lot of lists, so have been getting lots of calls.
I have never bought anything from them.
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

Lee

Post by Lee »

I never take up any offers on cold calls, on general principle. If people didn't, we wouldn't get hassled with calls all the time!
cheers,
Lee

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

i had about 5 missed calls from this wirra wirra caller last week. very persistant, so are they desperate? I don't have the dosh to spend at the mo, so i'm more likely to purchase at cellar door or auction (something I know i really want) vs buying in bulk of an unknown wine

I don't really buy much from WW anyway so should prob just have my name removed from their mailing list.

ACG

Post by ACG »

Expect more of it.

From a small winery point of view, engaging an (outsourced) call centre to move your latest releases can be a very easy way to ratchet up sales.

Its cost effective too - no costs involved bar a commission on any sales. The strike rates from these sort of semi warm databases are unreal too - many times the average list, so its profitable for both the call centre and the winery.

Some wineries just use these services once a year at release time, others all the time, with a very few small players taking the plunge and doing it themselves.

It sounds more like an established call centre here though, purely as they aren't leaving a message and don't let the phone ring for long (driven by the need to make more calls an hour, not wait for answering machines).

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

...and add Vasse Felix to the list...
3, 65, 7, 50