Weekday Stuff

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
monghead

Weekday Stuff

Post by monghead »

Hi all, let's kick things off. What are we drinking these school days?

Monghead.

griff

Re: Weekday Stuff

Post by griff »

monghead wrote:Hi all, let's kick things off. What are we drinking these school days?

Monghead.

A 2006 Hoddles Creek Pinot at the moment with a a roast tomato, mussel and chive fettucini. A touch stalky on the nose with a lovely palate of wild/alpine strawberries (can we get these in Australia?). Very Good wine and only 2 left :cry:

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

monghead

Post by monghead »

griff wrote:
monghead wrote:Hi all, let's kick things off. What are we drinking these school days?

Monghead.

A 2006 Hoddles Creek Pinot at the moment with a a roast tomato, mussel and chive fettucini. A touch stalky on the nose with a lovely palate of wild/alpine strawberries (can we get these in Australia?). Very Good wine and only 2 left :cry:

cheers

Carl

That sounds interesting Carl. Where do Hoddles Creek hail from?

monghead

Post by monghead »

For myself,

2004 Flying Fish Cove Shiraz

Not too bad for a quaffer. Spicy, fruit driven shiraz, though quite one-dimensional. Not quite sure why I bought 3 of these...

griff

Post by griff »

monghead wrote:
griff wrote:

Monghead.

cheers

Carl

Yarra Valley concern. Try the 2008 pinot. A little more funk/forest floor (no, not brett ;) ) than the 2006 but just as good. The chardonnay is just as good although it is a lot harder to find good pinots than good chardonnays at these prices.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

monghead

Post by monghead »

griff wrote:
monghead wrote:
griff wrote:

Monghead.

cheers

Carl

Yarra Valley concern. Try the 2008 pinot. A little more funk/forest floor (no, not brett ;) ) than the 2006 but just as good. The chardonnay is just as good although it is a lot harder to find good pinots than good chardonnays at these prices.

cheers

Carl

Thanks Carl.

Sorry, last question I promise..... What price bracketshould I be looking at for these?

Cheers,

Monghead.

griff

Post by griff »

monghead wrote:
griff wrote:
monghead wrote:
griff wrote:

Monghead.

cheers

Carl

cheers

Carl

Thanks Carl.

Sorry, last question I promise..... What price bracketshould I be looking at for these?

Cheers,

Monghead.

Under $20 at this stage and I am loving it! :)

cheers

Carl

monghead

Post by monghead »

griff wrote:
monghead wrote:
griff wrote:
monghead wrote:
griff wrote:

Monghead.

cheers

Carl

cheers

Carl

Thanks Carl.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Under $20 at this stage and I am loving it! :)

cheers

Carl

Check. Just added to the hit list...

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Been buying just cheapies lately. Picked up a Grant Burge "The Cellar Cut" cab shiraz 06 for $8 on the way home today. Well, it's actually not bad, especially for the price, though I'd maybe quibble that Jacob's Creek shiraz cab 06 is a bit more agreeable to my palate in this miserly price bracket.

So, the Burge is fairly sweet, the shiraz seems to overshadow the cab on the palate with plenty of plummy fruit but the cab comes through, extends the finish with a touch of cassis and some blackberry. Minimal oak and tannins which are very soft and talcy. This'd go down a treat with the average punter at a bbq. Drink now or over the next year or two. 87pts

Cheers

daz

dlo

Post by dlo »

We had a friend around for dinner last night and we opened a bottle of Tyrrell's Cellar Reserve Semillon from 1999 - a vibrant, developing unoaked Hunter with incredible reserves of citrussy, nutty, toasty, honeyed and soapy fruit, wonderful counterbalancing acidity, terrific mouth feel and a powerful, cracker of a finish. 92 points with at least a decade of drinkability ahead.

Next I opened my last bottle of 1979 Chateau Trotanoy from Pomerol, Bordeaux. This particular bottle was singing a very old but sound swansong. Aged, almost tawny hues, earth- and leather-tinged blackcurrant, raspberry and licorice fruit combine with cedar, sandalwood and damp earth to produce articulate but ever-so-slightly fading qualities on both nose and palate with silky tannins and melted acidity nicely moulded on a smooth and well-delineated departure. 88 points. Drink yesterday.

Just for the hell of it, I discovered about 150ml of Seppelt GR113 Rare Muscat loitering on the top shelf of my wine library. It's been there for quite a long time, but, wow, was this fortified still in great form. Lavishly fruited with incredible reserves of spicy muscatels and Christmas cake-like complexities, a thick, viscous, mouth-staining palate, immaculate balancing astringency and a whopping long finish that fills the mouth, throat and gut with ravishing lushness and sheer class. Astonishingly brilliant wine. 95 points.
Cheers,

David

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

01 Lindemans Limestone ridgeI bought this on super special , Drinking really well now ,

Pewsey vale 08 Riesling Never had one and well i must say very good

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

I must agree with Dazza1968 on the Pewsey Vale riesling. I buy a case of this wine every year, and drink a few up front. Time for another one, I think.

Tonight, a weird one:

Raven Wines (in Ravenswood, near Mandurah WA) and a grape combination I've not seen anywhere else: Pinot Tempranillo. It has a little of both (not surprisingly), some strawberry and cherry (pinot) with some firmer tannins, grip and chewiness from the Tempranillo. This is a light-medium bodied wine that would probably take a slight chill in the fridge, and again would be good afternoon or lunchtime drinking. But it's 11pm here now

The winemaker has only a hectare of so of 'home' vineyard, and buys grapes in from Pemberton, Warren-Blackwood, and a few other areas to make the various wines. Not going to set the vinous world on fire, but a good local to have if you're in the area (my stepfather is).

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

monghead

Post by monghead »

dlo wrote:We had a friend around for dinner last night and we opened a bottle of Tyrrell's Cellar Reserve Semillon from 1999 - a vibrant, developing unoaked Hunter with incredible reserves of citrussy, nutty, toasty, honeyed and soapy fruit, wonderful counterbalancing acidity, terrific mouth feel and a powerful, cracker of a finish. 92 points with at least a decade of drinkability ahead.

Next I opened my last bottle of 1979 Chateau Trotanoy from Pomerol, Bordeaux. This particular bottle was singing a very old but sound swansong. Aged, almost tawny hues, earth- and leather-tinged blackcurrant, raspberry and licorice fruit combine with cedar, sandalwood and damp earth to produce articulate but ever-so-slightly fading qualities on both nose and palate with silky tannins and melted acidity nicely moulded on a smooth and well-delineated departure. 88 points. Drink yesterday.

Just for the hell of it, I discovered about 150ml of Seppelt GR113 Rare Muscat loitering on the top shelf of my wine library. It's been there for quite a long time, but, wow, was this fortified still in great form. Lavishly fruited with incredible reserves of spicy muscatels and Christmas cake-like complexities, a thick, viscous, mouth-staining palate, immaculate balancing astringency and a whopping long finish that fills the mouth, throat and gut with ravishing lushness and sheer class. Astonishingly brilliant wine. 95 points.

Sounds like you had a great night dlo. Great choice of wines, and TNs. Thanx.

Monghead.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Hi all,

Just opening a 1996 Beaucastel CNdP.

Will post later in the monthly 1996 thread...

Monghead.

John #11

Post by John #11 »

2000 Yalumba The Menzies
Great cork
Unbelievable blackcurrant nose, like Ribena on steroids, left to breath it only got more and more like Ribena, maybe a little blackberry fruit as well :wink:
The palate was very black and very berried, and curranty, but very gluggable, and very satisfying. Drinking it from Reidels was good, but drinking from a bottle with teat may just have been better.
No discernable oak, some very soft blackcurranty tannins, and a medium blackcurranty finish.
86/100
Enjoyable enough once only.

We followed this up with a:

2007 Mike Press Adelaide Hills Cabernet Sauvignon
Superb screw cap
Meaty, juicy Cabernet nose, some tobacco, some capsicum and leafy herbal characters
The palate is soft and inviting, lovely fruit, crisp acidity, soft tannins (how does he do it so young?) and the balance is spot on.
I could (nearly) drink a hogshead of this, wonderful qpr.
90+/100

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

John#11, surprised you didn't mention the vanillin american oak, not that I find it a detractor. I've come to prefer MP cab over the shiraz, had my last bottles of shiraz 07 and cab 06 recently. The first case of cab 07 didn't last long. Although it's still listed on their site, it's probably about time I emailed Judy to send the case I asked be held for me.

Cheers

daz

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

John #11 wrote:2000 Yalumba The Menzies
Great cork
Unbelievable blackcurrant nose, like Ribena on steroids, left to breath it only got more and more like Ribena, maybe a little blackberry fruit as well :wink:
The palate was very black and very berried, and curranty, but very gluggable, and very satisfying. Drinking it from Reidels was good, but drinking from a bottle with teat may just have been better.
No discernable oak, some very soft blackcurranty tannins, and a medium blackcurranty finish.
86/100
Enjoyable enough once only.

We followed this up with a:

2007 Mike Press Adelaide Hills Cabernet Sauvignon
Superb screw cap
Meaty, juicy Cabernet nose, some tobacco, some capsicum and leafy herbal characters
The palate is soft and inviting, lovely fruit, crisp acidity, soft tannins (how does he do it so young?) and the balance is spot on.
I could (nearly) drink a hogshead of this, wonderful qpr.
90+/100

QPR wines out in this battle.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Orlando Wyndham must've had an embarrassing volume of quality fruit, probably mostly from SA, churning through it's wineries from the 2006 vintage. The pricing vagaries at the barn have me nonplussed. Yesterday this was $8.99 so bought the $7.99 Burge Cellar Cut just to try it. Today the JC shiraz cab 06 was $6.60 + a few cents. There must've been a shitload of this made but the bottling to look for is the one with the plethora of small inconsequential medals plastered on it. It really is a good wine, could cost twice the price or more from smaller wineries or other corporates. Thank you Mr Halliday for directing me to this real bargain wine:

Shiraz Cabernet 2006
This is a fine testament to the great quality of the 2006 vintage; if the carping critics of Australian wine in the UK were served this blind they would be looking for somewhere to hide; massively over-delivers in flavour, texture and structure. Screwcap.
14% alc. Rating 90 Drink 2012 $10.95 Date Tasted Jun 08

Cheers

daz

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

What battle Wayno? Are you going all esoteric, incomprehensible again? Wossamatta you? :?

Hope you recover with no lasting detrimental symptoms. :P

Cheers

daz

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

monghead wrote:For myself,

Not too bad for a quaffer. Spicy, fruit driven shiraz, though quite one-dimensional. Not quite sure why I bought 3 of these...

I bought a case of the first commercial vintage..................ordinary

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Daryl Douglas wrote:What battle Wayno? Are you going all esoteric, incomprehensible again? Wossamatta you? :?

Cheers

daz

Hi Daz,

I think Wayno was referring to the Mike Press as winning out on QPR. I know you're a long-time supporter of MP's wines, and one of these days I might order some and see what all the fuss is about.

Cheers

Allan

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

dlo wrote:
Just for the hell of it, I discovered about 150ml of Seppelt GR113 Rare Muscat loitering on the top shelf of my wine library.

Wine library? I've checked out your website and frankly am astonished at the high quality of your TNs and some of the wines you drink during the week (and good luck to you). I've heard of tasting benches, but not wine libraries before. Would you care to elaborate?

Cheers

Allan

monghead

Post by monghead »

Daryl Douglas wrote:

Which vintage was that Daryl?

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Daryl Douglas wrote:What battle Wayno? Are you going all esoteric, incomprehensible again? Wossamatta you? :?

Cheers

daz

Geeez Daz, go easy on me! :) Yes Allan, correct - it was a loose term for a taste off between those two wines, clearly the MP outshining on points and price. Please excuse me the dramatic terminology from time to time.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Bick

Post by Bick »

Felton Road Riesling 07 - my rating :D

I've had a few bottles of this and had planned to leave the rest a few years. However, we're having our house rewired and as a result, the lighting in the cellar was off at the time I went down to get a bottle, and I had to pick a wine by feel in the pitch black - I've blind tasted before, but this was the first time I'd blind selected! My wife was happy - she loves Felton Rd!
Cheers,
Mike

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Felton Road Riesling 07 - my rating

I've had a few bottles of this and had planned to leave the rest a few years. However, we're having our house rewired and as a result, the lighting in the cellar was off at the time I went down to get a bottle, and I had to pick a wine by feel in the pitch black - I've blind tasted before, but this was the first time I'd blind selected! My wife was happy - she loves Felton Rd!

yeah its had some harsh reviews but they are all wrong. lovely wine
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

JJap

Post by JJap »

Teusner Salsa Rose '08 - Nice savoury style. Enjoyed it over 2 nights probably better the on the first.

Coldstream Limited Release Shiraz '05 - Fantastic! Wasn't expecting this to be so good. Grabbed it from the cellar as a Tuesday night quaffer and was mightily impressed. Shame it was my last of 3 but went out on a high note.

dlo

Post by dlo »

Another very good, no, excellent bottle of Coonawarra Cabernet last night - Richmond Grove 1998.

Colour is advancing but holds a decent ruby/red core with some bricking in the edges. Choco-berry nose with some cedary/earthy complexity underneath. Everything in its place on a relatively lively palate with an admirable mix of herb-tinged chocolaty fruit with solid acid backbone and some resolute tannins poking through right at the end. Nicely mature, very competent wine without anything too memorable or thrilling to wax lyrical about. 88 points.
Cheers,

David

John #11

Post by John #11 »

Daryl Douglas wrote:John#11, surprised you didn't mention the vanillin american oak, not that I find it a detractor. I've come to prefer MP cab over the shiraz, had my last bottles of shiraz 07 and cab 06 recently. The first case of cab 07 didn't last long. Although it's still listed on their site, it's probably about time I emailed Judy to send the case I asked be held for me.

Cheers

daz

To be perfectly honest, I thought the oak was well integrated, and very much in the background. After the black-currant-a-thon it sure tasted nice anyway!

currently enjoying a 2007 O'leary Walker Shiraz (Clare / Mclaren Vale) and for a sub $20 wine, this is one serious shiraz, gobs of ripe fruit, plums, black olives, good balance with crisp acid and velvety oak and gripping tannins, and a sensational long finish. Very young, but huge promise here, 2007 in Clare was a mighty vintage, and Mclaren Vale produced nice fruit as well.
Great qpr.
I'd give it 92/100 now, maybe more in 5 years.

Cheers

John

ps
I had a taste of 2007 Yalumba "Nosey Parker" Shiraz today as well, just a taste.
Kudos to Yalumba for having a go at Robert Parker, why not, the rest of the wine world does too.
Lovely juvenile shiraz purple. Quite a noice shiraz nose, lots of dark fruit, with floral violet notes.
Very much fruit driven, with a noticeable mid-palate "black hole", and a medium savoury finish. A little (wood chip) oakiness, coarse peppery tannins, some alcohol warmth on the back palate.
A pretty good BBQ red, and at around $14 is pretty good. Longing for a bloody, dripping rump steak the size of Kevin Rudd's ego. (sic)

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

monghead wrote:
Daryl Douglas wrote:

Which vintage was that Daryl?

I think it was 2001, seem to remember it being promoted as a first release from the winery. Memorable for that and that it was goodish but rather unexciting.

Cheers

daz