The shame of Constellation, Accolade & the local Government

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
n4sir

The shame of Constellation, Accolade & the local Government

Post by n4sir »

They've ruined Leasingham, they've discontinued the Reynella VP, and now the bastards have sold off the historical Old Reynella vineyard to Pioneer Homes to be bulldozed for high-density housing. These are among the very oldest (and best) Cabernet Sauvignon vines in South Australia that as well as being the backbone for many of Reynella's top wines, have supplied cloning material for many other great vineyards.

This is corporate vandalism at its worst, even worse than Foster's strip job of Quelltaler many years ago - I hope they burn in hell for this. :evil:

http://drinkster.blogspot.com/2009/05/c ... bucks.html

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by n4sir on Fri May 18, 2018 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Looking at my purchases over the last couple of years, I've bought very few wines from Constellation or Fosters. I think there are better and better value wines in the price range I buy in from the smaller players.

Apart from that they keep giving me reasons like this not to bother with their wares.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

This sort of thing makes me very sad.

Surely the local council must have something to do with this if the zoning has gone from farming to housing?
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

ross67

Post by ross67 »

What the....Its a joke...i can't believe they would stoop to that level :cry:

ross

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

That is effing ridiculous!

How can SA, or indeed Australia as a whole allow the destruction of such a significant part of its heritage!?

If there is a petition, I will sign it. If there is not a petition, I'm up for starting one.

(as an aside, it appears that someone has posted a response to the Philip White article under my name...)

griff

Post by griff »

Maybe they should take those foreign wine luminaries that Wine Australia has shipped over to look at regional specialization over to have a gander :!:

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Attila

Re: Just how dastardly can Constellation Wines be?

Post by Attila »

n4sir wrote:now the bastards have sold off the historical Old Reynella vineyard to Pioneer Homes to be bulldozed for high-density housing. Cheers,
Ian

As George Ohsawa said in circumstances like this: "Do not fear, everything has a reason. It'll turn out great in the end."
Wait and see.
"(Wine) information is only as valuable as its source" DB

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Attila wrote:As George Ohsawa said in circumstances like this: "Do not fear, everything has a reason. It'll turn out great in the end."
Wait and see.

I'm sorry Attila, but if the story is true in its entirety where's the silver lining?

At a time when the Australian Wine industry (and Constellation themselves for that matter) is supposed to be trying to get away from the cheap, generic brand Australia/critter label image, arguably the most historic vineyard in McLaren Vale (the only thing comparable would be Tintara, and Kays's Block 6 after that) has been sold off to make way for 41 McMansions.

While we're at it, why not bulldoze Penfolds' Kalimna vineyard to extend the golf course, the Hill of Grace vineyard to make a scenic hotel, pebble mix Ayers Rock and then strip mine Kakadu because we can make a buck out of it? Constellation's management of the former BRL Hardy is nothing short of a disgrace, and this despicable act is the bad icing on top of a cake that absolutely reeks. The 1998 Chateau Reynella VP is perhaps fittingly the last ever bottle I will buy from them.

bacchaebabe wrote:This sort of thing makes me very sad.

Surely the local council must have something to do with this if the zoning has gone from farming to housing?

There's always been state government assurances that the urban sprawl would not encroach the Barossa or McLaren Vale, and yet that's exactly what has occurred here - in hindsight this vineyard should have been heritage listed long ago, but I don't think many saw the need for it. Who would seriously believe something like this could or would ever happen, especially after the fight to retain the Marion Vineyard which (along with Penfolds Magill) was touted as the last of the significant suburban vineyards in Adelaide?

Reynella (as part of the McLaren Vale GIC) was always thought to be out of reach and/or covered by these assurances that the wine regions would never be encroached, and besides nobody in their right mind would destroy something of this significance. An incompetent corporate owner desperate for money and a sneaky developer hoping a pro-development government will turn a blind eye to this has shown otherwise.

Ultimately it will be a state government issue one way or another. Last year they passed legislation which has effectively watered down the councils' power and ability to consult with the community to gather any significant objections to certain types of developments. There was a fear that without significant protections like an ICAC (Independent Commission Against Corruption) developments would basically occur by steath without much in the way of checks and balances. I'm writing to the independent local MP Kris Hanna to urge him to try and make this issue very public - it is an election year next year and it will show the government's true colours on the issue of protecting our most valuable wine regions and their assets.

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by n4sir on Thu May 28, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 707 »

Simple arithmetic really.

The vineyard produces say 30 tonnes of Cabernet but you've had to wear all the costs of land ownership (rates tec), pruning, watering, spraying and maintaining the vines plus the cost of harvesting.

You can easily go further south and buy 30 tonne of quality cabernet delivered to the winery for say $2000 tonne = $60K.

You then rip up your Cabernet vineyard, put in the infrastructure (minus $2mill), sell 40 McMansion blocks @ $200K each (plus $8mill) for an immediate net return of $6mill.

$6mill @ 8% = $480K pa off your overdraft. That's a whole lot more than the $60k pa to buy your grapes so your $420K pa in front.

Pffft, so you might kill off or comprimise a label or two. No problems. There's a new label to be launched every week by the Marketing Dept

So it's all a VERY EASY DECISION IN THE BOARDROOM. Remember, your bonus depends on short term profits and the above calculations look damned good.

Nicely located that vineyard, close to the Southern Expressway, it'll sell quickly. Will be a beaut development too, I can just see the street names, Constellation Crescent, Cabernet Crescent, Bulldozer Drive, Ripper Rise, Asphalt Avenue, Bonus Boulevard.

I've got a huge 1937 vintage map of most of southern Adelaide, it's really interesting to see where vineyards and orchards were then. It's all suburbia now.

This will keep occuring forever unless huge swathes of vineyard land is permanently zoned as such because it's simple economics of what someone will pay to develop your land versus what it can generate in income. Low grape prices just tip the equation further towards developers.

So dastardly indeed Ian and I'm with you in making the 98 Reynella VP my last Constellation purchase (Hardy's VP excepted!)
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

The plot thickens and has become more political...

It appears the heritage listing on the Reynell block was recently removed by the City of Onkaparinga Council. Tonight will probably be decisive as the Development Assessment Panel considers the matter, and the law seems to be on the side of the developers.

Leon Bignell MP met with Kris Hanna MP last night, and will meet with Minister for Planning Paul Holloway next week, and ACA has recorded a story to be run next week.

Leon has suggested to me to contact the Mayor Lorraine Rosenberg and Council CEO Jeff Tate before tonight's meeting to voice my concerns - I think anyone else inclined to do so should too:

lrosenberg@onkaparinga.sa.gov.au
jeftat@onkaparinga.sa.gov.au

Cheers,
Ian

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

I just received a copy of a recent media release from Constellation clarifying the situation via Gary Walsh. (thanks Gary):

MEDIA STATEMENT
28 May 2009

Constellation Wines Australia (CWAU) has entered into an agreement to sell a block of land on the north west corner of Reynell and Panalatinga Roads, Reynella, opposite the main winery grounds.

This site is part of the original 32 hectare area purchased by John Reynell in 1839, around 16 hectares of which was sold by John Reynell in 1854 to create the township of Reynella (now Old Reynella).

Known as Stony Hill vineyard, this block comprises 1.24 hectares of Cabernet Sauvignon vines planted in 1990 and 0.89 hectares of Cabernet Sauvignon planted in 1968. These 18 to 40 year old vines are affected by leaf-roll virus and another disease known as ‘Eutypa dieback’. These grapevine diseases have compromised grape quality and reduced yields, to the point where many vines do not have bunches even though they have shoots and leaves. These diseases, combined with the inferior soils of the Stony Hill block, have resulted in poor quality grapes, compared with those grown in the vineyards located on the main winery site.

Sale of the Stony Hill block will consolidate our activities on the main 32.72 hectare winery site on the south west corner of Reynell and Panalatinga Roads. The site holds the CWAU headquarters as well as 9 hectares of vineyard plantings and many of John Reynell’s original buildings - Chateau Reynella (1838), the Reynell Homestead (1843) and SA's oldest operating cellar, Cellar One or ‘The Cave’ (1845).

The high quality of fruit grown on the main winery site has formed the backbone of our awarded Chateau Reynella McLaren Vale range for many years, and includes the highly valued Reynell clone of Cabernet, named in honour of John Reynell, and now widely used throughout Australia.

The main winery site is an important part of the Reynella township heritage and highly valued for its historical significance to our company, the region and the South Australian wine industry. Sale of the Stony Hill block will enable further investment in the ongoing maintenance of Reynell’s heritage buildings and the surrounding landscaped gardens, which remain open to the public for self guided tours during business hours.

Details on what is proposed for the Stony Hill block will be a matter for the new owner and the Onkaparinga Council following settlement, which is expected to occur in the next few weeks.

Media enquiries: Sheralee Davies, Group Public Relations Manager

I should add there was also an aerial picture showing the proximity of the Stony Vineyard to Chateau Reynella and the Reynell winery vineyard the other side of Reynell Road.

From this press release it appears the historic Reynella (winery) vineyard is safe, and I owe the powers that be at Constellation, Pioneer Homes & The City of Onkaparinga Council an apology. While it's sad to see the Stony Vineyard go (and I am a little concerned about its physical demise to disease considering it has produced quality fruit for the Reynell/Chateau Reynella Cabernets for many years), it doesn't have the historical significance of the winery vineyard and under the circumstances its sale while regrettable, is understandable.

I'd like to quickly thank everyone who was passionate enough to respond to the original article/post, even though it turned out to be less than accurate. We need passion for our wine industry to survive and thrive, and you have displayed just that.

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by n4sir on Fri May 29, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Attila wrote:
n4sir wrote:now the bastards have sold off the historical Old Reynella vineyard to Pioneer Homes to be bulldozed for high-density housing. Cheers,
Ian

As George Ohsawa said in circumstances like this: "Do not fear, everything has a reason. It'll turn out great in the end."
Wait and see.

I thought that Candide.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Candide's message was slightly different although the sentiment was much the same. I don't think Voltaire had Constellation Wines in mind at the time though. The Spanish Inquisition is one thing but Constellation is another thing altogether!!! :)
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Then again, my words above in response to the media release maybe badly misguided... :oops:

I received a message from a winemaker in the area (who wishes to remain anonymous) telling me "it's all bullshit", and he was horrified I had publicly swallowed the company's line.

The Stony Hill vineyard is historically as significant as the winery vineyard over the road even if it doesn't have the pre-phylloxera vines which were the genesis of the 'Reynell' clone. Sure enough when I got home I looked at the parchment that came with a magnum of the 1990 Chateau Reynella Stony Hill Cabernet Sauvignon (I should have done it days ago). It reads:

"The Stony Hill Vineyard is the jewel in Australia's viticultural crown.

Importantly, it is the birthplace of one of Australia's most famous wine houses, the oldest in South Australia, Chateau Reynella.

Today Chateau Reynella, the home of John Reynell, the man who planted the first commercial vineyard in South Australia and who is recognised by many as the father of the State's industry, is again producing quality wines from Stony Hill Vineyard.

Stony Hill is the first commercial vineyard planted by John Reynell on his Reynella Farm back in 1839, only one year after he founded the farm and three years after the proclamation of South Australia."

As to the question of the vines being non-productive due to disease and poor soil, I was told:

"just about every vineyard in the Southern Vales that is over 10 years old has Eutypa. Kays Block 6 comes from a vineyard that has been infested with Eutypa for 50 years. D'Arenberg Dead Arm is, needless to say, not a bad drop from a Eutypa infested vineyard.

I don't believe the leaf roll virus story. Fairly easy to check if the leaves are still on, red leaves are a sign of leaf roll virus. Leaf roll virus is not necessarily very serious anyway. The soils are the best in the area as far as I know... That vineyard had ancient vines in the 60's."

So it looks like I've shot myself in the foot buying the company line hook, line and sinker, and there may still be a reason to be very angry with this development. Maybe I should leave it to those better than I to carry on the fight.

As well as The City of Onkaparinga Council, anyone who wishes to voice their concerns should contact:

The state government politicians involved:
Kris Hanna MP: mitchell@parliament.sa.gov.au
Leon Bignell MP: mawson@parliament.sa.gov.au
Paul Holloway MLC: ministerholloway@saugov.sa.gov.au

and of course Constellation Wines:
corporate@cwines.com.au

Cheers,
Ian

griff

Post by griff »

And I'll say it again on this forum as I think it important enough to repeat. Carry on the fight Ian.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

John #11

Post by John #11 »

I think overall you have done a pretty good job Ian.

I'm a little disappointed in Gary Walsh passing on such an obvious piece of crap to you Ian. Then again, maybe his livelihood relies on corporate donations of wines for him and Campbell to review. Then again, maybe I'm just a cynical old bastard.

IMO, the big corporations will eventually shoot themselves in their feet (with the help of educated masses), eventually the truth will come out, and their sales will slump, and they themselves will be ripe for other takeovers.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

John #11 wrote:I think overall you have done a pretty good job Ian.

I'm a little disappointed in Gary Walsh passing on such an obvious piece of crap to you Ian. Then again, maybe his livelihood relies on corporate donations of wines for him and Campbell to review. Then again, maybe I'm just a cynical old bastard.

In full defence of Gary he passed it on in good faith after I initially emailed him and Campbell about the issue earlier this week, and he probably wasn't expecting me to jump to conclusions and post it so quickly. Gary also initiated the contact between myself and the above winemaker when he was told the media release was rubbish.

I really feel I've only got myself to blame for this blunder.

Cheers,
Ian

John #11

Post by John #11 »

:oops: Shot my mouth off again. :oops:

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

I wrote to both the lrosenberg and jeftat onkaparinga contacts last week and this was their response:

Hello Sarah
Unfortunately the outcome is considered by the developement assessment
panel (of which I am not a member) and not council
Therefore I have no authority over the matter, however Council did
forward a petition to the DAP on this matter.
I sat in on the DAP the other evening to see what was the discussion and
note it has been adjourned for more information.
Strong lobbying of the panel would be more beneficial than of council
members and the panel can be found on our website
good luck.

I can't find the contact details on the website, so am calling to find out who a and where we should contact to voice our oppostition on the DAP, so will update when i know more.

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

I wrote to the Mayor/CEO, but haven't heard anything back.
Sarah: If you do find the details of the Panel members, please post them here so that I can write to them as well!

Cheers,
P

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

A friend just emailed that according to the Council website, these three Councillors are members of the DAP:

Doreen Erwin: derwin@onkaparinga.sa.gov.au
Rex Manson: RManson@onkaparinga.sa.gov.au
Bill Coomans: BCoomans@onkaparinga.sa.gov.au

There are four other independent members of the DAP:

David Ellis, Chairman
Judith Urquhart
Grant Halstead
Debra Arnold

Cheers,
Ian

pstarr

Post by pstarr »

John #11 wrote:I'm a little disappointed in Gary Walsh passing on such an obvious piece of crap to you Ian. Then again, maybe his livelihood relies on corporate donations of wines for him and Campbell to review. Then again, maybe I'm just a cynical old bastard.

Pretty poor form here, John, for my tastes.

"Shot my mouth off again", emoticons and all, is right, but hardly an apology. "I'm a knob, should not post in the early hours, and am sorry for what I insinuated" isn't that hard to write.
Paul.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Decanter's report of the situation, which also casts a worrying shadow over what's left of Leasingham:

http://www.decanter.com/news/283451.html

Fears over future of historic winery sites as Constellation cuts costs
May 29, 2009
Chris Snow in Adelaide

There are fears that the historic Leasingham winery site in the Clare Valley, Australia, will be sold for non-winery development.

A separate battle has also begun to stop another historic industry site, Stony Hill, the first commercial vineyard in South Australia, being turned into a housing estate.

Both properties are for sale as part of a three-winery, 23-vineyard, 350-job cost-cutting move by Constellation Wines Australia (CWAU).

Talks between Constellation and wine producers about the sale of the 116 year-old Leasingham winery stalled because Constellation retains the Leasingham brand.

'The whole thing came to a stalemate,' said prospective buyer Tim Adams, of Tim Adams Wines.

CWAU spokesperson, Sheralee Davies, said that staff had been advised that if the winery was not sold by the end of August, it would be closed.

She added that at least one of the four vineyards would be retained, with the future of the others undecided.

The chief executive of the Clare and Gilbert Valleys Council, Roy Blight, said that enquiries about the Leasingham site had been received 'from a number of organisations, not all related to wine.'

An industry insider, who did not want to be named, said there was a fear that all but two heritage-listed buildings would be demolished and the land used for housing.

At Reynella, Constellation's Australian headquarters, local politicians and community members have collaborated to try to block a proposed housing development on the 2.13ha (hectares) Stony Hill vineyard.

Constellation recently sold the site, which it says has vines which are diseased and non-productive, and Davies said a settlement was expected within the next few weeks.

Last night (Thursday) the Onkaparinga Council's development assessment panel deferred for further consideration a land division application by the buyer after community objections on open space and traffic policy grounds.
Last edited by n4sir on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

John #11

Post by John #11 »

pstarr wrote:
John #11 wrote:I'm a little disappointed in Gary Walsh passing on such an obvious piece of crap to you Ian. Then again, maybe his livelihood relies on corporate donations of wines for him and Campbell to review. Then again, maybe I'm just a cynical old bastard.

Pretty poor form here, John, for my tastes.

"Shot my mouth off again", emoticons and all, is right, but hardly an apology. "I'm a knob, should not post in the early hours, and am sorry for what I insinuated" isn't that hard to write.

Yes, you're absolutely correct.

To Gary, sincerely, I apologise unreservedly.

John #11

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Geoff Hardy has just commented on Philip White's blog in regard to the clones/vines on Stony Hill:

http://drinkster.blogspot.com/2009/06/h ... heory.html

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

For those in Adelaide, I heard the story on the Reynella Stony Hill vineyard will be on A Current Affair tonight (I don't know if those interstate will pick this up).

Cheers,
Ian

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

n4sir wrote:For those in Adelaide, I heard the story on the Reynella Stony Hill vineyard will be on A Current Affair tonight (I don't know if those interstate will pick this up).

In contrast to what I was told by one of the politicians involved, I also heard in advance they will say it was the (as I mentioned earlier, pro-development) State Government that removed the heritage listing in 2007, not the City of Onkaparinga Council. I emailed him this morning asking if this was true, and as yet haven't received a response.

Cheers,
Ian

Just watched it. Leaf roll virus evidently. One excuse at least.
Cheers
Wayno

ross67

Post by ross67 »

Unfortunately didn't get it here in Brissy....was looking forward to the report

ross

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

ross67 wrote:Unfortunately didn't get it here in Brissy....was looking forward to the report

ross

Only saw the fag end of it and to be honest what I saw seemed like pretty standard ACA fare. Good intent though.
Cheers
Wayno