School Day Delights...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Some nice wines there Rooman. Sounds like a good lunch.

I had another 04 Noons Twelve Bells last night. It doesn't actually say what the wine is on the bottle which is sort of unusual. I'm assuming it's motly grenache with some shiraz though. It certainly tasted like that with sweet red raspberry lollies up front with a bit of peppery spice and licorice to finish. Friendly drinking for a mid week wine. 89
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

John #11

Post by John #11 »

2007 Yalumba The Scribbler
This has become our "drink with anything" red, it went spectacularly well with scrambled eggs and parmesan bread tonight!
At the moment, it seems an early drinking style, with sweet caramel and vanilla creme oak (maybe butterscotch too), red and black fruits, grippy tannins, and lovely balance. I reckon it will improve with a few years in the cellar, and have dutifully consigned a 1/2 case.
In time, Yalumba may well be sorry that this did not become the 2007 Signature.
Excellent.

dlo

Post by dlo »

rooman wrote:
dlo wrote:mesh riesling 2005

My first bottle and what a wine!

I'd rate this up there with the very best young Australian Riesling's I've encountered over the past 25 years. The colour is nigh-on perfect - luminescent, almost glowing straw green with an amazing flash of white gold. Likewise, the nose is nigh-on perfect - tight, jam-packed with juicy freshly-squeezed limes, crushed river pebbles and minerals wrapped in a floral shroud suggesting orange blossoms. The palate is perfect - literally bursting with pristine lime and mineral flavours, a wealth of natural, refreshing acidity, terrific line, superb balance, impeccable manners and a sublime finish of enormous presence and quite amazing calibre. Drink now - the cows come home. Developing magnificently, this classic dry riesling will rival the 1990 Leo Buring Eden Valley Leonay as one of the truly great aromatic white wine's this country has produced. 97 points, I kid you not! 13.0% A/V and sealed with a screw cap.

David

Nice write up. This is an Eden Valley riesling isn't it?

Mark

Correctamundo.

An alliance between Hill-Smith and Grosset to pump out some really good juice from the high Eden. First vintage - 2002. I only have a quantity of the 2002 and 2005 thus far. 2002 looks awfully good as well. Both the 2003 and 2004 I tried were excellent/outstanding but for whatever reason/s didn't buy any at the time.
Cheers,

David

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

Vibes only;

Jasper Hill Georgia's Paddock 2004

A lovely, elegant, structured, and powerful wine.

Supposed Chateau Reynella Cleanskin BP shiraz 2005 (from Glug).

Astringent, aggressive tannins, mono-dimensional wine, not to my taste. Perhaps just needs time.

griff

Post by griff »

2005 Chateau D'Aurilhac
Bright magenta. Fresh bright red fruit with malic (crunchy apple-like) top notes. Forward in the mouth. Very fresh, clean and elegant with good primary red fruit characters. More than moderate (for Bordeaux - a lot by Australian standards), ripe tannins on the finish. A little hollow/austere at first but when matched with a chicken, leek and jerusalem artichoke pie it grew in estimation. Good/Very good with potential.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

griff

Post by griff »

And one more

2006 Chapoutier 'Beaurevoir' Tavel
Nice vibrant transparent red. A touch of caramel along with the jubey fruit. Tangy finish. Started off slightly astringent but as it warmed it mellowed nicely. Good wine (Excellent for a rose!)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?